Thursday, January 2, 2014

Injury Update

As I mentioned in a recent post, I have been dealing with some calf and back pain over the last few months. After taking most of December off, I decided to start my recovery plan about two weeks ago. The first week went well with two pain free walk/runs. I had planned on three, but my schedule didn't work out. Last week, I ran on Monday and the next day, the pain had returned. At that point, I decided it was time to see a doctor.

On Tuesday of this week, I saw a Sports Medicine/Ortho doc. After taking back and knee x-rays and a physical examination, he determined that there was nothing structurally wrong with me, which was great news. He believes that I have been in a cycle of inflammation and pain due to some weak hip and back muscles. He prescribed me some strong anti-inflammatories and referred me to a physical therapist. I was lucky enough to find a physical therapist appointment the same day, so I could begin my rehab program immediately.

I saw Jackie, who was a high school and college runner and has run several marathons, including Boston. Jackie ran me through a series of strength and flexibility tests. She confirmed some things I long suspected and gave me a set of strength exercises and stretches to do daily. My hamstrings and the smaller gluteal muscles are tight and need to be strengthened. I will go to PT once a week for about 4 weeks as she progresses me from the beginning exercises to more advanced ones. After PT is over, an important part of my training is going to have to be strength training. I plan to get back to boot camp and add some specific exercises for the core and glutes

It'll be another few weeks (2-4) before I can get back to running. In the mean time, I need to get back into the pool and on the bike. I need to be slightly careful on the bike that I don't push against too much resistance, but I need to start rebuilding my base

One way or another, 2014 is going to be a big year, so I need to start off with a strong base. I have yet to sign up for any races, and probably won't sign up for much until sometime around march. One of the beauties of Beach 2 Battleship is that it doesn't fill up till mid-year, so I have plenty of time. I am also waiting till late March when I find out if I got into the NY Marathon. I have many goals for 2014, but the most important is to stay injury free


2 comments:

lindsay said...

Hope the PT is going well and helping!

Kevin @LongRoadToIron said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.