Tuesday, December 17, 2013

All Quiet on the Training Front


I have not done much since the Atlanta Run Disney meetup in mid-November. After recovering from my mid-year hamstring strain, things had been going well for a few months until a new wrinkle came into play.

For the last two months.I have been having a off and on nagging pain in my upper calf. This is happening on the opposite side of my hamstring injury. There was never a specific event that brought on this pain. I suspect it was brought on by a slightly altered "hamstring protecting" running form. I know I was putting more weight on my good leg when I first started back from my hamstring injury. Moral of the story, if you have to alter your form, it's probably too soon to start running again.

So far, I have tried a week off, ten days off, and now I am almost at two weeks off. Both times I tried to resume running, I would feel fine during my run, but hurt the next day. Today I plan on getting on the dreadmill and mostly walking with a few short runs thrown in. Both times I tried to resume running, I simply tried to jump right back in at the same pace, running a 4 min run/1 min walk. This time around, I am going to use my trusty injury recovery plan and basically start from scratch.

My plan, which I described in this post, is mostly based on this article from Running Times. This time, I may drag out the rebuilding period and more slowly return to longer running. When I returned to running after my hamstring injury, I was up to 6 miles within 2 weeks of returning to running. That was probably too quickly. As much as I would like to run a spring marathon, it is highly unlikely at this point. If I want to be strong and healthy enough to conquer an ironman at the end of the year, I need to properly rebuild this time.

I am still working on fine tuning my recovery plan, but it is looking like the following at this point (with a 5 - 10 minute walking warm-up). Any pain after the run will keep me at the current week's plan for an additional week. Any pain during the run (after I progress out of week 1) will have me drop back a week. If I am able to progress as planned, I should be ready for an April Half Ironman, any setbacks and I may scrap the early season half, or look at a May/June race

My tentative 18 week recovery plan:

WeekTotal Minutes/DistRunWalk
1
3 x 30
1
4
2
3 x 30
2
3
3-4
3 x 30
3
2
5-6
4 x 30
3
2
7-10
4x3041
11-12
3x30, 1x4541
13
3 x 30, 1 x 6041
14
3 x 30, 1 x 7541
15
3 x 30, 1 x 6041
16
3 x 30, 1 x 9041
17
3 x 30, 1 x 9041
18
3 x 30, 1 x 6041


As long as I stick to this plan and don't do anything stupid, I should be in good enough shape for the early season half and ready to start Ironman training mid year

I also received some exciting news yesterday that I can't wait to share. Stay tuned to find out.

1 comment:

lindsay said...

Hopefully 2014 has brought you a fresh and pain-free start!