Monday, October 14, 2013

Music Monday - 80s Freestyle Flashback

Flashback to the 80s. I was in elementary school. Every summer my brother and I went to summer camp put on by the city parks and rec department.  Twice a week, we would spend most of the day at a local roller skating rink, Galaxy Skateway. This was always the highlight of my week. While they played lots of 80s pop/rock, their most popular music by far was freestyle. While techno music was getting its start in Detroit, freestyle originated from the Latin communities in New York and South Florida. Freestyle's electronic beats were influenced by latin music and its lyrics are upbeat and positive. While freestyle's popularity was short lived, it still is one of my favorite types of music.

Every time I listen to a freestyle mix on Pandora or MixCrate, I am reminded of all the hours spent skating at Galaxy. Whenever these songs come up on my run, I can't help but think back to my childhood. As I was listening to MixCrate freestyle mixes at work today, I found myself dancing in my chair.







Shannon - Let the Music Play(1983)



Debbie Deb - When I Hear Music(1984)





Debbie Deb - Lookout Weekend(1987)


Information Society - Running(1985)



Do you have a favorite freestyle song? What's your favorite song on your running playlist from the 80s.

No comments: