Sunday, September 22, 2013

Music Monday - Irish Drinking Music Edition

Music Monday is where I share some of my favorite songs to run or spin to.

Up this week are several Irish punk/rock bands. I first discovered Flogging Molly a few years back when a fellow runner mentioned them on Facebook. I really enjoyed their energy and Celtic music meets punk rock edginess. Their songs have so much energy and emotion to them. I was fortunate to see them in March and it was by far one of the best concerts I have ever been to.

 After finding Flogging Molly, I decided to find other like bands by creating a Pandora station. I really took a liking to Irish Drinking Music songs. They are great to sing along to, especially in the late stages of a Marathon. Many of these songs got me through the 2nd half of the A1A marathon. If you passed me, you would have likely caught me singing along and clapping my hands to many a Darby 'O Gill song.

1. Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies



2. Dropkick Murphys - I'm Shipping Up to Boston

The Dropkick Murphys is another high energy Irish punk band. This is one of my favorite songs from them. They are originally from Boston and played this song live at the Boston Marathon tribute concert that was aired on TV. I tried to find that version, but had to settle for this one.



3. Darby O'Gill - Finnegan's Wake

Darby O'Gill is a duo out of the Pacific NW that I found on the Flogging Molly Pandora channel. Most of their songs are upbeat traditional Irish drinking songs. What makes their songs different is the audience participation that is found on most of their live tracks. I don't completely understand why, but there is some sort of inside joke related to squirrels. Their songs are found on all of my running playlists, especially towards the end of my marathon ones. When these songs come on, I can't help but sing along. I would love to see these guys perform live, but they only seem to play local bars up in Oregon.


You can download most of Darby O' Gill's songs for free at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=285720.

My favorites in addition to Finnegan's Wake are Seven Drunken Nights, The Kretchma, Night Pat Murphy Died, Rattlin Bog, and of course, Whiskey in the Jar

4.Skinny Lister - 40 Pound Wedding

While technically not Irish (they are British), I lump Skinny Lister in because I first discovered them at the Flogging Molly concert.  They are full of energy and their lead female Lorna is a real trip, frequently taking swigs from the whiskey jar while on stage.


Here is a live acoustic set they did at NPR Headquarters that really shows how fun they are live




Do you have a favorite song to sing along to or one that gets you through the later parts of a run?

No comments: