Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I,Oohh I'm Still Alive

For the past four months I have seriously considered retiring permanently from blogging. I've been busy and just haven't had the blogging mojo. It was much easier when I was in school and spending several hours at school 2 or 3 days a week and had some time between classes. Lately I have been spending my lunch hour reading technical books to help further myself up the career ladder. I've also been trying to get to bed earlier, which further reduces my free time. I've been back and forth about it but have decided to keep it going. I've met so many great people and have gotten lots of encouragement and advice from fellow bloggers. Now I just need to push myself to actually update it. I have been keeping up with reading the blogs I follow, but havent done much commenting. I am going to try and do better with that as well.

Things had been going well for me. My big focus this year was my running. little by little I was regaining my running speed. I was getting faster and faster and then BAM! In June, I was starting off on a run at my local 1 mile park loop when I felt a sudden burst of pain and felt/heard a pop in my calf. I tried to walk and stretch it out, but no such luck. The next day I saw an ortho who sent me off from a MRI. I had a ruptured Plataris Tendon, and a minor gastrocnemius (calf muscle) strain. While the tendon rupture sounds bad, it was actually the strain that kept me from working out for a month. From what the doctor said, this tendon connects to a "accessory" muscle that isn't really necessary and it will never heal. If I hadn't also strained my calf, I could have kept running without any complications.

A month later I was back up and run/walking. I have built back up to mostly running with some walking when necessary, especially on my longer runs. A couple weeks ago, I also started doing some intervals and tempo runs.  I had hoped to still do the marathon in November based on a run/walk schedule from John Bingham. After I couldn't complete the scheduled 8 miler, I knew I wouldn't be able to make it through the full marathon plan. I emailed the RD and was able to switch to the half. So after that, I now have 2 half marathons and a sprint tri on the schedule for this year and the GA full marathon still on the schedule so far for next year.

This week I added another event onto this years schedule. There is a new 200 mile relay race this year in GA called the Souther Odyssey Relay. For those familiar with Georgia geography, the race starts in Athens, heads towards Gainesville, then through the mountains, across to Dahlonegha, and finally south to the Finish in Roswell. Each team has 12 members who do 3 legs of the race. It starts on a Friday morning and finishes sometime Saturday afternoon. When I first heard about this race I was definitely interested. Well this week I happened to be on the Georgia board on beginner triathlete and saw someone I know from a local group ride needed more members on their team. I thought about it for a little bit and decided to sign up. I am also hoping a few other people I know are going to be signing up for the team as well. It should be lots of fun and I hope to take lots of pictures.

October is going to be a busy month. This race is the weekend after my sprint tri and two weeks before my first half marathon. I am definitely looking forward to get back into racing.

I am already starting to plan out the next two years. I hope to do two half irons next year and am shooting for 2012 for my second attempt at a full Iron. I have tentative plans for which one I would like to do, though I may change that depending what others are doing. We had 10 or 11 people from our tri club finish Ironman Louisville last weekend. The support they had on facebook, from club members who werent racing and traveled to the site, and from their fellow racing club members was just amazing. It makes a big difference to have all that support. If I have that opportunity I definitely will take it.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Glad to see you're taking the smart approach to your goals!

It was good seeing you at Acworth!

Lisa said...

Glad to hear from you. Sounds like things are looking up for you now. :-)

Wes said...

I've slowed way down on my blogging as well, although I've tried to pick it up a bit. No worries. Glad to hear you have healed up and things are coming together for you again!

lindsay said...

understandable, life is pretty busy! try to keep us updated from time to time and i'll be happy. knowing you're still out there reading/lurking is nice too :)

Mandie said...

Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

Thanks!

Mandie Hayes
mandie.hayes10@gmail.com