Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What a month!

March has been an amazing month in terms of my training progress. March was my fourth highest month ever in terms of run mileage and seventh in terms of bike miles. The last time I ran 60+ miles in a month was June of 2008. I feel like I am in better shape then I was at any time last year. I am looking forward to my next race in a couple of weeks so I can reset my training paces. My long tempo run on Saturday (7 miles) was only a minute off my 5K race pace and it didnt feel too hard. Plus, it included walk breaks every two miles to take a few shot blocks. While I have my set pace for my intervals, based on my last 5K, I am starting to push myself a little faster as long as I feel like the intervals are consistent and I am not red-lining. This week was 6x1/4 mile and I averaged 7:59/mi through the 6 1/4s. Needless to say, I am super stoked about how my running is progressing. I expect to be able to take another minute or two off my 5K time. Off course I need to be careful what I wish for, because a faster 5K means faster training runs, which may make my long tempos harder.

On the bike, I continue to see gains in my strength on the bike. Last night I did my third week of the hillacious Roswell Ride. After the ride, I do a quick 1.5+ mile run through the park where we meet. Each week, it gets a little easier to climb the hills. I can wait for the point  I can keep up with the main group. I hope to achieve this before the end of the group ride season in the fall.

I got back in the pool for the first time this month since B2B in November. I started off with a 200M Time Trial to get a baseline pace to evaluate my progress and plan on testing it once a month. I also began adding push ups and planks to at least one swim each week. I did that on Friday and the shoulder/ab soreness lasted through Tuesday. Definitely an "easy" way to squeeze some core work in.

I am down over 13 pounds in the last 5 weeks. This is obviously one big contributor to my success so far. I hope to be able to reach my goal weight before November both for my goal race, the Chickamagua marathon, as well as our 10 year anniversary cruise that Cathy and I are going on.

March Totals
Starting Weight: 273.6
Ending Weight: 262
Weight Loss 11.6 pounds

Swim: 3,000 Meters
Bike: 187.61 Miles
Run: 61.25 Miles

8 comments:

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Absolutely awesome! It sure sounds like everything is clicking along for you right now. Keep up the great work!!

Wes said...

Great work, Kevin! I bought Daniel's Running Formula and I can't wait to work some of his ideas into my training (I have to finish reading it first).

and would you tell 建佑承蘋 to stop typing in Chinese? Thanks!

:-)

Molly said...

Great job on March! You're going to be cruising in April :)

Lisa said...

You are doing great. Keep up the good work!!

Sherry said...

Kevin, way to go on all counts! 13 pounds is A LOT and you really put in some nice bike/run mileage!! Keep it up, my friend!

ShirleyPerly said...

Sorry for the late comment but glad to hear March went well for you!!

NicolaSigel0508 said...

A bad excuse is worse than none. ....................................................

裕以 said...

很高興見到你哦!!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .