Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A couple of Hillacious Training sessions

The last two days of training have been fairly tough. I have a whole bunch of time running and riding uphill.

Last night when I got off work, I celebrated daylight savings time by heading to Sawnee Mountain Park to run the trails around the mountain. It is my hope in a few months to be able to run the entire 3-4 mile loop, including the steep uphills without walk breaks. The first mile wasnt pretty bad. It was mainly flat to just slightly uphill for the first half mile and then came downill pretty steeply for the next half. The next mile was pretty dang tough. I had to take several long walk breaks to make it up that mile. The last 1.4 miles were not too tough. I thoroughly enjoyed running in the mountain. It is so quiet and its a great way to work the core and stability muscles. I averaged about a 13 minute mile. Now that I can get there after work with the time change, I hope to get there often.



Tonight, I headed out with a group of folks from our Tri Club as well as folks from the Beginner Triathlete forums. The announcement for this ride says come challenge the hills of Roswell. Boy was it a challenge. I havent done that much climbing ever. 22 miles of oh so much fun. It is exactly what I need though to loose weight and get stronger on the bike. I look forward to getting out for this ride as often as possible on Tuesday nights. I averaged around 13mph, but my garmin was not set to autostop, so it looks slower then it actually was, though probably not too much slower. There were a couple of interesting experiences. To avoid traffic at a busy intersection, the route usually goes through a local park down by the river. Part of this route is a wooden path adjacent to the river that goes under the bridge at the intersection. Well apparently the river was still slightly above flood level, because we all had to come to an abrupt stop as the path was underwater. Then, about a half mile from the end, some idiot passenger in a SUV decided to smack me in the butt/thigh as they passed by me. Luckily it didnt really phase me and I was able to stay on my bike without incident. We tried to speed up to get a license plate #, but the car sped out as soon as he got past traffic. Some people are just real idiots. 



Tomorrows run intervals should be interesting given the past two days workouts. My quads are almost ready to scream mercy. I must get on the foam roller now and give them some relief.

6 comments:

Molly said...

Those are some major hills. Great job!!!

teacherwoman said...

Wow! Look at those hills! Nice job! Good luck with your intervals!

Steph Bachman said...

Good job on the ride yesterday!

The ride actually does not go through the park. Folks just cut through because of the traffic crossing Hwy 9. I prefer to wait in the traffic, though, because of the danger of kids/dogs/etc on the park path.

Wes said...

Great job on the hills! I don't know what's up with those bastages in Roswell. Makes me nervous about getting out on the road again...

lindsay said...

Those elevation charts are quite intimidating! Send me some of that hill strength :)

ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, killer hills!!

I hate it when folks in cars do annoying things like that. Someone smacked a cyclist in Central FL on the head with a bat last year. Luckily, the guy is going to be OK but he got hurt pretty bad.