Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Year, New Goals

I am glad 2009 is finally over. It really was a disappointing year for me in terms of meeting my goals. One of the most disappointing things (besides my DNF) was that I ended the year right around the same weight I started it at.

I am determined to make 2010 a much better year.I spent some time thinking about what I want to focus on in 2010 and what I could afford to do in terms of races this year that would fit into the budget. My most important goal for this year is to finally get to my goal weight. Based on my limited budget for racing this year and the fact that I really want to focus on losing weight, most of my focus is going to be on shorter distance (5/10K) running and a few sprint tris. The interval and other speed work will be a better tool for weight loss then the longer,slower stuff was in 2009. I also hope to finally break some PR's this year. Some PR's wont be too difficult to break while others will truly be a challenge.

To meet these goals, I started back to running on Monday. I am using the 5-15K program in Daniel's Running Formula. For the next 6 weeks, I will be rebuilding my base with 30 minute runs 5-7 days per week. After the first 3 weeks, I make one of my runs a long-ish (probably 60 min) run. From there, speed work begins in week 7. I plan on using my race paces to determine my training paces based on the VDOT score in Daniel's book to more accurately pace myself in order to gain speed. Other then the sprint tri's, most of the schedule is really flexible based on how I am progressing. Most of the 10K's I scheduled also have 5K options as well.

In the next week or two, I plan on adding a couple of bike rides into the schedule. One will be a spinerval trainer ride, the other I hope to ride outside, but this will depend on the weather. It has been brutally cold here lately. For my spinerval, I will use one of the base workouts through the same base period as my running and then add some harder intervals once I do the same with my running. Right now, other then maybe an occasional swim, I wont begin organized swimming until my running base period is over. All of this should set me up for a first peek at the Callaway sprint tri.


Here is my tentative schedule. I am trying to find another 5K sometime this month so I can get a baseline of my current fitness. ATC has a free one a on Jan 16th, but it is around an hours drive and I dont think I want to spend 2 hours in the car for a 5K.


2/13-Hearts and Soles 5K
2/26-Challenged Child 5K
3/13-Jog 4 a Cause 5/10K
4/10 Fallen Heroes 5/10K
4/24 Spring Chicken 5K
5/15-Mayors Challenge 10K
5/31-Celebrate America 10K
6/20-Callaway Sprint Tri
6/26-Central Park Trail 3.5M
7/4-Peachtree RR 10K
7/17-ATC Dekalb 4M
8/7-Old Soldiers 10K
8/14-ATC Grand Finale 5K
10/3-Lake Lanier Isl Sprint
10/23-Fast Pace 10K
Oct-Silver Comet Half?
11/7-USMC Trail 1/2 Mar

There are also some more free Atlanta Track Club races Sept-Dec, but they arent posted until later in the year. I may also consider a free Marathon on New Years Day. I had hoped to do the free marathon on Labor Day, but I think it is too close to my Sprint tri on 10/3. I hope for good results in that tri since it was the second tri I ever did, only a week after my first one (which was a race only held once) back in 2007.

11 comments:

Molly said...

You are going to be very busy! Best of luck for a big year!!!

D10 said...

Sounds like you have a great plan in place to meet your goals. Lots of races in there too. 2010 is going to be your year!

Lauren said...

Busy year!! You and I both had a disappointing 2009 - but 2010 is our year!!

It's "later" this month (30th), but I really liked this race: http://www.rungeorgia.com/ptreebattle5k.html

Otherwise: http://www.ctcsports.org/frostbite5k.html is tomorrow in Acworth.

http://sites.google.com/site/etowahsoccer/team-announcements/etowahsoccer5krun is next weekend in Woodstock

And Polar Bear http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1812574&assetId=018d0f72-ee37-4878-a837-d5f24bf5f2b3 5K is 23rd in Marietta

it's all about pace said...

just because you are racing short... don't be shy about ramping up the volume... Here's to big O ten!

Wes said...

Hey stranger. That's quite a load of races! You need to become anal about eating clean and your nutrition, as do I! Let's do this thing...

lindsay said...

keep the memories of '09 in your mind so that you stay driven thruout the year! it's easy to falter here and there, i know that from experience too. you have a sensible plan and some races to help motivate - i know you can do it. here's to a successful 2010 for you!

Tea said...

Very busy indeed! I'm so glad to see you focusing on shorter distances in order to prioritize your weight loss.

It is very hard to manage weight and go long.

I think you will have a VERY good year!

Sherry said...

Kevin, I LOVE your plan! I think I'll always be a short course athlete at heart... so looking at your schedule is really inviting. I actually can't wait to get some of this long course stuff out of my system, so I can go BACK to short course racing/training! I think it gives me a bigger bang for the buck in terms of the way that I want to 'look'. I think as long as you stick to your training plan and eat cleanly, you will drop weight. Honestly, I learned last year that fat loss is darn near 80% diet, 20% exercise. As the adage goes, "Abs are made in the kitchen." :o)

I'm super glad to know that you aren't giving up the fight and are continuing to make health a priority in your life. It's very admirable! Definitely looking forward to following you once again through 2010! Fight HARD, Kevin!!!

Chris said...

Wow Kevin! lots on the plate for 2010 but it sounds like you have a definite plan and focus.

I think that you are heading in the right direction and that you are going to come out stronger on the "other side"

Good luck man!

ShirleyPerly said...

My husband just started a new eating clean type of diet. Even though he was working out a fair amount, he couldn't seem to drop the weight he wanted to w/o a major change in his diet. Perhaps I'll report on his progress as the year goes on.

Best of luck to you in 2010!

冷淡 said...

Everyone fastens where there is gain.........................................