Sunday, January 31, 2010

Janary in Review

January has been a decent month for me. After a couple months off, I resumed running regularly. I have been running 3 or 4 days every week trying to rebuild a solid running base. I have a few more weeks of base miles before I add in the speed work. I am using a plan out of Daniel's Running Formula. I think the Zone 1/2 work is really important right now in order to build the framework for future speed work.

I did one ride this week, my first this year and it was a comedy of errors. My portable DVD player's battery melted, I couldnt get my garmin sensor to work (turned out to be the battery), and my laptop didnt want to play the spinerval Aero Base Builder DVD. Once I finally did get the DVD to play, I couldnt get the volume loud enough on my laptop. I need to convert them onto my old Zune video player, but have had issues that the conversion ends up out of sync. I just won a copy of The Downward Spiral by The Sufferfest from Stuart's Blog. I am looking forward to trying that one out this week and hopefully getting the spinerval copied over to my Zune. For now, I just am planning on 2 maybe 3 rides a week. Once it gets a little warmer and my rides get longer, I will head back outside. It will be a few more weeks till I get in the pool.

Last week's Polar Bear 5K was a mixed bag. The first half of the race went pretty well. I was able to push myself through the discomfort which is important for me. One of my goals this year is to finally learn how to overcome those mental barriers which slow me down. The second half of the race did not go well. My foot began to fall asleep about 1.5 to 2 miles in. I tried to walk it off, but by 2.5 miles I was hobbling in with a foot entirely asleep. My time was 35:10. If my foot hadn't fallen asleep, I believe it could have been under 33 minutes. My first two splits were 10:11 and 10:53, but my third mile was 13:12. My next race is in two weeks and I am hoping for better results.

I have a decent idea of why foot fell asleep and I am working to put a plan together to address this issue which includes yoga, trigger point, active isolated stretching and targeted strength exercises. Once I address these issues, my running should be much better.

January Totals
Bike:30 min, 9.11 miles
Run:15 Runs,36.29 miles, 7.5 hours, Avg Pace 12:29/mile

7 comments:

Lisa said...

base building is what my month was about too. :-)

ShirleyPerly said...

Good job, Kevin, getting your runs in. I think consistency is very important. Hope you can figure out the foot problem before your next 5K!

Wes said...

My little run workouts in a binder thingee is all in tune with where you are at! Zones 1 and 2 are our friends right now!!

Chris said...

Stay focused on the prize Kevin! You are definitely making the right decision based on what you've shared here of your plan.

Keep it up my friend!

I'm expecting big things next season

Jess said...

Great job on January's digits!

lindsay said...

way to get back in the game! that's very weird about your foot falling asleep mid-run... i hope you can figure that out asap (and that it's nothing bad).

三八 said...

感謝是愛心的第一步..............................