Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The curse of the tight hips

Last week I saw the Chiropractor that was at the Augusta 70.3 who does Active Release. My hope is to find some relief for my excessively tight hips. My hips have caused me issues for a long time. I have almost zero ability to rotate my legs internally at the hips. This causes all sorts of issues, especially for the knees.

The first part of the appointment was a thorough examination. Beyond my hip problems, I also have really tight calves. While he didnt come out and say it, I think I was probably one of his worst cases. He told me he thought he could fix me up before B2B in about 6-8 visits. In order to help loosen my hips up some, he had me lay on my side under this thing that creates heat in the muscle. What was interesting was that it got my legs really hot, but it wanst hot to the touch. After that, he took me into the treatment room and along with his assistant, stretched the heck out of me. At times it really hurt, but I could tell it was definitely helping. Once he was done, he repeated some of the initial tests and there was definite improvement. Unfortunately, when I checked out, I found out while my insurance covers chiropractic, it does not cover ART. DOH! At 90$ a visit, there was no way I could continue.

Instead of getting down about it, I decided I was going to figure out how to fix this myself. I have my trigger point kit, foam roller, and the stick. Working at a hospital gives me access to a load of electronic databases of medical journal's. I have been spending my lunch hours doing lots of research on stretching and trigger points and tightness in specific muscle groups. I have discovered I was using my trigger point kit slightly incorrectly and have adjusted my technique accordingly.

My #1 suspect is the piriformis. I actually found a video done by Texafornia (Brett) of the Zen and The Art of Triathlon podcast that shows a technique that he says has helped him with piriformis. I am going to begin doing this as well as specific exercises to strengthen my internal rotators while loosening up my external rotators.

I think I am finally beginning to understand the causes of all my trouble. Now I just need to put the techniques into practice that will help me fix my problems. I have already seen some improvement, and I hope to be fixed up by B2B

10 comments:

Molly said...

Glad to hear it is helping - hope the improvement continues!

D10 said...

That really stinks about the cost of ART being so high. Do you think you'll be able to get at least one more appointment closer to B2B? While it will stink to toss out another $90, it may really help come race day. But, it does sound like you have everything in check.

Jess said...

That sucks that your insurance doesn't cover ART. Good luck self-fixing!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

I was going to suggest the same thing as Molly. Maybe you can go back one more time before B2B.

Knowledge is power. I hope you can release that tightness. I'm sure it will make a big difference.

lindsay said...

glad you were at least able to learn some new 'tricks' to help your tightness. that def stinks about art being pricier (and not covered). maybe you could combine your at-home treatments with regular chiropractic visits?

ShirleyPerly said...

Bummer about the insurance issue but glad you have access to materials to do things on your own. I had no idea ART cost so much.

Lauren said...

That sucks about A.R.T, but totally reiterates the reality of how expensive this sport can be.

I agree with ^^^ others who suggest maybe one more session before B2B.

Jon Gilchrist said...

Assess, Adapt, and Overcome. I like that...and will definitely lean on it, as I have tight hips myself.

Thanks for sharing

Chris said...

Man, that's good news and bad news..... Good news in that you found what can help but bad news in that most insurance companies SUCK (of course you probably already knew that). Which seems counter to me in that it seems like an insurance company would benefit in the long run with "customers" who look for preventative health opportunities instead of waiting until they have some kind of "syndrome, disease, etc" diagnosed and are forced into reactive treatment.

I hope that you are able to "self-fix" enough to be loose for B2B.

Calyx Meredith said...

I love how much research you put in and then how much dedication you show in applying what you learn. Good luck with getting the results you want! Hope B2B is a kick ass race for you.