Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Just when things were going well

I had to go and develop a freakin hernia. I started having some pain on Monday, yesterday it was a little more noticeable and by today, every time I coughed, sneezed, laughed, etc it would hurt. So I found myself a new primary doctor since I hadnt seen one in a while and was able to make an appt for lunchtime today. She confirmed my worst fear. Based on my symptoms, I had a feeling that was what I had.

Unfortunately, there is no other option then to have surgery. One of the advantages of working in a hospital, including working in the OR for awhile, is that I had worked with many of the surgeons. One of the better general surgeons is also a triathlete so I went ahead and made an appt to see him on Tuesday. I will let you guys know how it goes. I suspect I may not have to immediately have surgery, but I think I would be better off doing it before it gets worse. Until I find out, I am going to limit my training to swimming, though I will still do the Peachtree RR on Saturday since I was looking to take it easy and run with Cathy anyways.

9 comments:

Stef said...

Kevin I'm so sorry to hear this. Also relieved that you have an inside track at the hospital. They better take good care of you!

D10 said...

Oh man Kevin, sorry to hear about this. However, sounds like you will be able to get this problem fixed soon. Take care and keep us posted.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Sorry about that. My son had to have hernia surgery a few years ago and all I can offer is that he's definately happier after the surgery than he was before. Best wishes getting this resolved sooner than later.

Wes said...

what a total bummer. I'm sure the surgeon will have the best advice for you! Good luck!!

Chad Aaron Sayban said...

Oh, no. That isn't good news at all. I'm glad that you are getting good treatment, though. Let us know how it goes and hear is hoping for a quick recovery.

Karen said...

Sorry to hear it Kevin - heal up quickly!

ShirleyPerly said...

ACK!!!!

But it definitely sounds smart to get it taken care of now rather than later. Hope the Peach Tree and surgery go well!

Ryan said...

Four years ago I had a right inguinal hernia and had it repaired. Last year when I started exercising, I blew out the left tire during my training for a half marathon. Used a truss (from herniarelievers.com) to get me through until the off season when I was able to get the surgery done. Might be an option for you.

Good luck.

Steve Stenzel said...

That really, really stinks!! I hope everything goes OK at the appt today. Take care of yourself!!