Saturday, July 25, 2009

Been in a slump

So I have been in a real slump lately, both in terms of training and blogging. Between work and life, things have just been crazy. Things at work are slowing down, so that should help and the thing that has been keeping me busy outside of work the last few weeks: car buying research/test driving which concluded yesterday. Thanks to the Cash for Clunkers program, we were able to trade in our 2001 explorer with over 196,000 miles that only gets 18mpg for a great deal on a 2009 Honda fit that gets over 30 mpg. The only thing left to do is to get it tinted and put a hitch on it so I can put a bike rack on it.

I am learning Ironman training is as much mental if not more mental then physical. I still need to learn to push myself more whether it is getting out of bed at 4:15 or not slowing down. I am getting better at this, but everyday I have to tell myself I WILL do this. I think back to my half from last year. No matter how much pain I was in,the only way I wasnt going to finish was if my back completely locked up. Even if I had to crawl to the finish I was going to do it. I know come race day I will get through it barring some uncontrollable circumstance, but the more I push myself to do what is necessary now, the easier race day should be. I think I may even order the black HTFU armband that I saw one team wearing during the tour de france.

After a long wait, my Garmin Forerunner 310 finally came in today. Once I use it a few times, I will post a review including pictures. I wore it on my run today and it felt more comfortable, and it is a little smaller then the 305. There are a few new features I have noticed so far, but nothing big yet. It truly will get tested come race day. If anyone is thinking of getting one, make sure you download all the S/W from garmin and update the firmware on it before you use it because the firmware update on the web site wipes out all the data

I feel like my running speed is coming back. I am seeing my paces come down and my endurance has improved as well. It has been a long road recovering from my sprain and I still have a long way to go before I get back to my best running form. I am seriously thinking about spending the winter, and possibly even all of next year focusing on my running and regaining and going further with my speed. I may focus on running speed in the winter and then for tri season do only sprints and Oly's. One thing I have noticed this year training for Ironman is that it is super hard to lose weight. Because the majority of my iron training is done at Z1-3 (though some speed work is coming into my plan now) I dont burn as many calories, and the residual burn post training is much less. I can look back at this year so far as well as last years HIM training and this has been the case. That and I am always hungry and it is hard to find the proper balance.If I focus on my speed, I believe I will be able to burn more calories both during training and after training and weight loss will be a little easier.

Now I am off to read your blogs

7 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

congrats on your new car. i switched from a 1998 GMC Envoy getting worse mileage than your explorer to a VW Diesel Jetta Wagon that gets 35mph in my normal mixed driving conditions. Isn't it great to be in something smaller with awesome mileage?!?!

ShirleyPerly said...

Happy to hear your Garmin 310 is working! In fact, I'm going to link my post that mentioned the 310 to your post so others can be aware of what needs to be done to get that thing working right.

And I definitely think ironman training is more mental than physical for me. Congrats on your new car. Look forward to toeing the line of B2B with you in Nov!

Jess said...

I think most endurance training is a mental effort, and that certainly makes it tough.

D10 said...

A guy I work with just got a FIT about 2 months ago and he and his wife love it. It is a very cute car. Best of luck with it.

I think ironman training is just as much mental as physical. But that preparation will be needed come race day. Hang in there Kevin, keep working hard.

Wes said...

when you bonk on the bike 30 miles from home, you'll increase your mental toughness :-)

I am no longer slobbering over the 310. I'll have to wait until X-mas, I think. Waaaa!

Karen said...

YAY NEW CAR SMELL! I cannot even imagine training for a full IM. That is how far I am able to carry myself mentally. The distances alone are enough to make you question your sanity. It will all be worth it when you cross that finish line. You will have that experience for a lifetime. I am proud to know you! :)

Sherry said...

Yay for new cars! Welcome to the Honda fam. (we have an Element). :o) Enjoy! The Fit is super cute!!!

Definitely looking forward to your feedback on the 310... and thanks for the software/updates warning. :o)