Sunday, June 28, 2009

My much neglected blog

First off, I announcement. I have made a slight change in my schedule. I was planning on doing the South Carolina Half again this year. After some thought, I have decided instead to do Ironman Augusta 70.3! It is slightly closer, it is easier to get to, and it is much bigger a town then where the SC half is. That and I know so many of you and so many of my tri club friends are doing it.

I am also contemplating a century ride and a 1/3/5k OWS in two weeks.

I know I have neglected my blog lately. Ironman training is really taking up so much of my time. I used to go to bed most nights at 11 or 11:30. Now I am getting to bed on most nights by 9 so I can be up around 4 AM to train. It has been hot here in Atlanta so I have been trying to do as much training in the AM as possible.

Last week I raced the Callaway sprint tri. Really not much to say about it. I finished 10 minutes slower then the previous year thanks to the run. I was about a minute slower on the swim, about the same on the bike and had nothing left for the run. I hammered my swim and bike and just had nothing left. I am not too worried about that race because I am wholly focused on Iron training and only now in week 5 beginning to do short bouts of speed.

My running otherwise is finally beginning to get faster. My speed and endurance is slowly coming back more and more each week. I realized last Saturday when I did my long run that I needed new shoes. I have been using New Balance 1061/1062 for several years. I began my running career as a overponator and heel striker. This year I have been focusing on mid-foot striking and decided it was a time for a change. Unfortunately, with my big feet, the running store had only one other option. I tried on the Mizuno Wave 12s and immediately knew they were the ones for me. I dont know if it was simply because my old ones were worn out or if it truly are the new shoes, but so far I am truly loving them. Tomorrow evening's long run will be the best test so far.


Had a great, but hectic weekend. I was up super early for a 4ish hour bike ride. It was a decent ride, but my legs were a little tired since that was my 4th day in a row on the bike. Normally, I do my long ride on Sunday, but with Cathy's Iron Girl race today, I had to do my ride on Saturday. Once I got home and showered it was off to the Iron Girl packet pickup/expo/bike dropoff. We went home relaxed for about an hour and then met up with Wes and Dee Dee for dinner at a local italian restaurant. We had a great dinner and then it was time to go home and go to bed. We were up at 4AM this morning and headed off to Lake Lanier Islands. Wes and Dee Dee pulled in to the lot right behind us so we headed down to transition together. I hung out with Wes all day taking pictures and cheering the ladies on. It was a great race, though super hot. Cathy was happy to finish the super tough course in about the time she expected. We came home and crashed for the day. I was supposed to do a 1hr45min run today, but I have decided to postpone it until tomorrow evening. Hopefully it wont be too hot.

I will try to update the blog more often. I actually have some gadgets and stuff I can review. I am still awaiting my Forerunner 310. They keep pushing the ship date further and further back. Also know that even though I may not get a chance to comment on everyone's blogs, I am reading and keeping up with everyone's training

7 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

i wonder if you'll EVER get that new garmin.

will you post pics from irongirl?

best wishes as you carry on with training. :-)

triguyjt said...

Glad you are getting in the training..althought its got to be real tough with that heat.. I don't have to get up that early to hit the trails.......bout 6am is pretty good..

doing augusta sounds cool.....

D10 said...

Glad to hear your running is starting to come around again. It takes time and you are playing all your cards right. I am sure you are going to fell strong in Augusta!

Jess said...

Summer training does require some adjustments to schedule, so it's good you've been able to accomodate.

Wes said...

Dee Dee and I enjoyed spending time with you guys! If our training days line up, I will keep you company on some of your longer training days!!

Besides, Augusta is a better race cause I'll be there ;-)

ShirleyPerly said...

Yep, I hear ya on iron training taking up a lot of time. I'm staying away from sprints too as my coach doesn't want me to get either injured or discouraged from doing too much speedy stuff when my focus is on going long.

Look forward to the Garmin 310 review when you finally get it and have time to write it!

Rachel said...

Sounds like you have quite the packed training schedule ahead of you!