Sunday, May 31, 2009

Week 1 is in the books

It has been a pretty good first week in my Beach to Battleship IM training. I missed one swim day due to the weather, but otherwise I have gotten all my training in and feel pretty good. I even managed to get up at 4:15 AM twice without being overly tired. My running, while slow is getting more consistent. Saturday night, I was actually able to run for 25 minutes without a walk break. Sure it was an 11:30 pace, but my legs felt great. Today is a recovery day and my legs feel good and I am looking forward to being back on the bike tomorrow morning at 4:15

Week 1 consisted of almost 10.5 hours of training. The most I have done in a long time. I Swam twice for a total of almost 4000 meters. I was on the bike 4 times (including one brick) for a total of 95.87 miles in a little lest then 5.5 hours and ran almost 17 miles in 3.5 hours.

Saturday morning I got up and rode the Lifetime Fitness Alpharetta ride. This ride was my first off the trainer since September 28th, 2008. I really wasnt sure what to expect having not ridden this route before and not having ridden the road in a good long time. This was one tough ride. Every time I got over one hill, there was another one. It felt like there were no flats to be found. When it was flat, my legs felt good and I could hit 20+ mph without too much problem. Unfortunately, every time I hit a longer or steeper hill, my speed slowed to like 5mph. At one point, I felt like I could have walked the bike faster. There was great scenery and it was a great training ride.I think it was the hardest ride I have ever done. I managed to average 15mph. As long as my training plan fits with the timing of it, I plan on doing this ride to build more strength in my legs. I really want to focus on getting stronger on the bike.

My run will come along as I stay consistent with my training and as I lose the excess weight I put on. I think I have a lot of room to make gains on the bike with some effort. In fact, May was my highest volume of cycling so far and my training has just begone

Totals for May:
Swim: 10,100 Meters
Bike: 241.97 Miles
Run: 36.51 Miles

I think I have found my new choice for long distance fueling. After doing lots of reading and pricing out several items, I have settled on perpeteum. I picked up a container of the orange flavored variety and liked the taste. It tastes almost like an orange creamsicle. I like the fact that I can mix 1 bottle with up to four hours of fuel. For my IM I plan on having two 3 hour bottles:1 on the bike and one at special needs. I havent decided if I will premix the special needs one or mix it when I get there, but two bottles will cover my entire nutrition need on the bike. To keep it cold, I have found that the new Camelback Insulated bottles are great. they have the camelback nipple, they are insulated, and they are supposed to be antimicrobial. Two and a half hours into a really hot ride and it was still cool.

I dont know yet what I will do on the run yet. I recently discovered Cliff Mojo bars. I especially love their PB one that is salty and sweet. For the run, I may use gels and the mojo bars. The one good thing for me this year is that both my 1/2 and my full are run by the same company, so the fueling will be hammer products on both courses. My only issue may be gels, because I am not a big fan of Hammer gels.

Well, I need to be heading to bed. Gotta be up at 4:15 to get on the bike

10 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

good job.

i like those mojo bars too. :-)

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

This is a great point in your training to figure out what nutrition you are going to use in the IM. By the time you get to the race, you will be used to using it and know how much of everything to take.

Ryan said...

Nice training week.

Did I read that right, your first ride off the trainer since September? What? Is this your method of saving money on brake pads?

4:15am sucks! Teegan gets out of school next week, then I am taking her to grammy's house while I go and ride the IMKY course for 5 days, but when I get back I'll be on the trainer at 4:15 am too, 4 x weekly.

Calyx Meredith said...

Cool to nail the nutrition this early in the game! I've been meaning to check out perpeteum. I like recoverite so I should check it out. Yay for your first week!

Sherry Lynn said...

Way to go on your first week of IM training! It's terrific that you are thinking about nutrition NOW... you have tons of time to experiment and get it 100% perfect! You are inspiring ME here! :o)

triguyjt said...

looks like you really have the nutrition down pat..and good job on getting week one done and moving ahead.

Wes said...

Way to start it out with a bang!! I ate fig newtons, crackers, and sandwiches on my bike. I was supposed to go with gels on the run, but they had such a good spread at IM FL, I ate pretty much everything they had. Fruit, cookies, you name it. Important thing is to practice, practice, practice. Oh, and building a spreadsheet of exactly what you are going to eat and drink when during the race is a great idea.

D10 said...

You are off to a great start! I think fueling is the hardest thing to get down. Right now I like Hammer Gels and NUUN.

Marcy said...

Off to a great start Kev!

I've gotta try Hammer products already. A LOT of people dig em.

ShirleyPerly said...

Good to hear you got outdoors for a ride! My coach has had me doing a lot more cycling than I thought I'd be doing but the cycling seems to have helped my running (which I've not really been doing that much of) . So maybe you'll get the double benefit too.

I just got a couple sample packets of Perpeteum at the RnR Half expo and plan to give them a try.