Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sleepy feet and the incredible shrinking lane

Last night, I had a decent bike ride on the trainer. I really feel like I am getting much stronger on the bike. I am really focusing on bringing my cadence up on (almost) every ride, including my long rides. The other thing I am doing is hill simulations to work on leg strength. The majority of the time, I am in high Z1 or low Z2.I feel like the bike may be my strongest leg of the race this year for me which is a big change. Last night I did an hour on the trainer I did 19.22 miles with an average cadence of 87 and an average HR of 138 which is mid Z1. Towards the end, I cranked it up into a harder gear and pushed Z3. Tomorrow, I hit the "hills"

Unfortunately, my running hasnt been as productive. It seems like as I fix one issue, another arises. My latest dilemma is that my feet are falling asleep. I initially suspected it was because I hadnt stretched in a week. I have been stretching and it has improved slightly, but they still fall asleep. Today, I re-laced my shoes as per a guide on Runner's World, but no luck. My feet still fell asleep again. I wonder if part of it is due to the hills, so I may run a few times on the dreadmill and see if I have the same issue. All I want right now is to be back to at least running 10 minute miles. I am not asking for too much. Today, with walk breaks I averaged 11:38.

While the run really sucked, I had a fairly decent swim. The biggest issue was that they have taken over 2 of the lanes at the pool for the kiddos swim team. It would have been nice if they gave us some notice!! We found out they will be using 2 lanes every night for the next few weeks until the outdoor pool opens. That leaves only 3 lanes. Luckily we didnt have to wait too long, but I really expect there to be longer waits ahead. So anyways I had a decent endurance speed set that felt pretty good. Right now, the biggest thing I can do to regain my speed will be to lose the extra 20 pounds I put on when I sprained my ankle.

In slightly disappointing news, I did find out that the Garmin 310XT has been delayed a month and wont be released until June 6th. For those who asked, the version with the HR monitor will not be out until July. This is because they have a new HR strap coming out in July that has a soft strap like the polar HRMs. However, the 310XT will work with all the 301 accessories, so I was able to save the cost of the HR strap and get it about a month sooner.

Well, I must get to streching.

Happy Cinco de Mayo

10 comments:

Shannon said...

"Today, with walk breaks I averaged 11:38"

Very good for getting those legs moving again for the run.

Are your feet going numb on the bike, then it's difficult to transition into running? Bike Shoes Old? Tight Laces? Stretching? Interesting....keep us posted.

D10 said...

Weird about you feet falling asleep. Do you think it may be your shoes? Does the feeling start in your legs or is it just your feet? If it is in your legs too it might be a form of chronic compartment syndrome. Keep us posted.

ShirleyPerly said...

I too was wondering if it might be due to your shoes. If a woman gains 20# (say, when she's pregnant), it's common that her feet will get bigger and she'll need to get larger shoes. May not be needed on the bike, though, since it's not a weight bearing exercise. Whatever it is, I hope you find a solution soon. I know you're anxious to get back into training full force!

Wes said...

Almost always my feet fall asleep because there is pressure on the top of my foot. I hate that and hope you figure it out pronto!

Nice work on the bike! Your running will definitely come back...

Calyx Meredith said...

I was going to say the same thing as Shirley. I had to get a half size bigger running shoe last year - and now that I'm losing some of my extra weight, I've had far less trouble with my feet falling asleep. Or you've mentioned a couple of times about your hips being tight - so maybe there's some circulation constriction there that affects your feet? I hope you get it figured out and get back to your goal times. (Although you totally rank as a Speedy McFasty Pants in my book! GREAT bike stats!)

Jess said...

Your whole foot falls asleep when you run? That's odd. I've heard of tingling toes, but not the whole foot. Only when running?

Nitmos said...

The running will come around. My feet fall asleep sometimes too but usually only when sitting on the toilet for a 3 flusher. This is a shot in the dark but...you aren't running with a toilet stuck to your rear are you?

Kevin said...

Thats funny Nitmos. I actually broke my foot one time getting up off the toilet with my foot asleep

Karen said...

weird about your feet but I know someone at my gym who has the same thing. No idea why but the treadmill makes the feet go to sleep. No other piece of equipment. I guess it keeps the training interesting, right?

sRod said...

I've gotten the numb foot thing on really long runs. I've just had to run through it, eventually it went away.