Friday, May 1, 2009

Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel

SCHOOL IS ALMOST OVER!!! Only one more test on Sunday and I will graduate. No more homework, no more tests, no more presentations (at least for a few years).

School is ending just in time for my B2B Training to begin. My 24 week training plan officially starts at the end of this month. I am looking forward to training full time and not having to worry about school

Training has been so-so lately. My running has come back slow from spraining my ankle. I had one good 8 miler and since then it has been inconsistent. I have noticed lately though that my HR is coming down on the run which is a good sign. My asthma has been acting up and has limited my running the past few weeks.

My swims have been decent. I have been focusing on improving my form and increasing my stroke rate to try and become a more efficient swimmer. The biggest thing I need to do to improve on my swim is to lose about 20 pounds. After spraining my ankle I gained like 15 pounds. I am currently around 262, I would like to be down to 225 by B2B.

I feel like my cycling has been going really well. I have been focusing on keeping my cadence at a minimum of 85, but preferably over 95. Keeping my HR in high Z1, sometimes getting into really low Z2, I am averaging about 18mph. My bike fitting was interesting. Because of my tight hips, they had real difficulty getting me into a position where my knees wouldnt flail out. The ended up putting extension bolts on the pedals that bring them further out. Hopefully as I lose weight and gain flexibility, I can get into a lower position.

In March's indoor tri, the swim and bike went great, but I couldnt run much because it was hard to breathe.

Last weekend was supposed to be a big weekend. I had a 5K on Saturday and the second indoor tri on Sunday. I got sick early in the week and was not recovered by the weekend. I was only able to run a mile in the 5k and had to walk the rest. If Cathy hadnt also been doing the 5K, that could have possibly been my first DNF. Sunday wasnt much better. I almost skipped it all together, but decided to take it easy. Taking it easy on the swim, I did the same number of laps I did the previous month. I think in the first indoor tri I went out too fast. The first half of the bike felt good, but by the second half, I was sweating profusely. I took it easy from there on the bike and walked most of the 20 minute run.

My training plan for B2B has just about come together. I am using level 6 from the riathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide: Plans, Scheduling Tips, and Workout Goals for Triathletes of All Levels. After reading several books and looking at several plans, I decided on this one. All I have left to do is move some things around to coordinate my plan with Cathy's. One good thing on the plan is that it has a half ironman scheduled for week 20. It just so happens that the South Carolina Half is in week 19, so I will have the opportunity to have my revenge on that course. I am really hoping to break 6 hours without even racing too hard. Since I did a 6:36 with back pain and mainly walking the run (nearly 3 hours), it shouldnt be too hard to do since shaving 36 minutes off of a 3 hour half shouldnt be too hard.

Other then that, my schedule really hasnt changed. I may not do the organized century rides I originally planned to do. Given that B2B is flat, I may be better off riding the nearly flat silver comet, though some hills would probably help me for SC 1/2.

Now that may has finally arrived, I will be watching my inbox for a very important email. Cathy allowed me to preorder the new Garmin Forerunner 310XT



This thing is da bomb. They have finally made a water proof unit and it has 20 hours of battery life. AND it works with all the accessories from my Garmin 305. It is supposed to be available some time this month. I will be sure to provide a review when it comes in. This is the perfect watch for Ironman.

Well, I think that is all for now. It is after midnight and I need to get up in the AM and run. I am trying my best to catch up on everyones blogs as soon as possible

13 comments:

Jess said...

OHH! I haven't seen that model of new Garmin! It looks awesome!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Yay for school being almost over!

That new Garmin model looks interesting. Can't wait to hear about it.

Stef said...

Great to see you back in Blogland!

Garmin looks SWEET!!

D10 said...

I like how the Garmin looks!! Glad to see all is moving along. You are going to feel so good once school is over!!

teacherwoman said...

That Garmin looks pretty sweet! Glad to see that you are almost done with school! WAHOO!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Great to hear from you, Kevin! Glad school is nearly done. And I'm sooo jealous you're getting the new Garmin. Sure does look sweet!!

Marcy said...

OK now I feel better about my 24 week training program . . .although mine is only for a marathon HAHA!

Duddeeee you got the hookup. I can't wait to hear the review on that baby. When are you supposed to get it?

Calyx Meredith said...

Oh - I am DROOLING over that Garmin. Can't wait to hear your review of it. And? YAY for being done with school!! So exciting!

Ryan said...

Hey, Welcome back!

Now that I live just miles from the B2B course, no hills but lots of wind, so keep those hill miles for strength training and really work at getting aero and staying there!

Wes said...

There are a few of us training for the elusive sub-6 HIM in September. If our training plans coordinate, we should hook up for some longer rides.

I am hoping to acquire the 310XT as well. I do not like to have to remember what I am supposed to do during training! LOL..

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

That has to be a great feeling to be almost finished with school. Great job!

I'm sure you are going to be happy to be able to be more focused on your training again.

Rachel said...

I am envious of the new GPS. I have the one just behind it.

Yay for school being out!!!

sRod said...

Great news that school is almost over!

Garmin is busting out new stuff pretty fast new. That's a sweet watch.