Friday, May 8, 2009

Epic Hill Climb Ride

So yesterday's run was another disappointing one, though my feet did not fall asleep. I put in some inserts I had laying around into my shoes. They helped, but they are too big for my behemoth feet. I suspect I may have Mortons Neuroma in my left foot. Apparently us flat footed overpronators are susceptible to this. I need to find thinner inserts with the extra cushion in the front of the foot. So m feet were ok, but my legs hurt. This comes back to my tight hips. Because of all my "issues" I have decided to take it easy on the run for now. I may only run twice a week for the next few weeks. I am going to have to really focus on stretching out my hips via yoga and trigger point. When I sit at my desk, I cannot keep my knees together. It hurts like I am trying to hold up some heavy weights. I think I have tight glutes and possibly pirformis muscles.

In the meantime, I am going to focus on getting stronger on the bike. I am going to add at least an extra day on the bike during the week. I am focusing overall on keeping my cadence up. One ride I am working on bringing up my resistance up as I progress while keeping my cadence steadily above 85, preferably 90.

My second ride I am calling my "epic hill climb". I did this ride last night. This ride focuses on high resistance. Over time, as the resistance gets a little easier, I plan to work on bringing the cadence up, but for now my rides are focusing on building power in the legs. I envision at some point my rides will get closer together and then I will changer it up and turn them into intervals and tempo rides.

Of course, I have my longer rides on the weekend. This weekend I plan on joining the group ride at my gym (Lifetime Fitness) for a 40 mile ride of rolling hills.

For my "epic hill climb" ride, my favorite songs come from movie scores. Many of them come from the Lord of the Rings series. Last season, on my longer trainer rides, I made it through all three LOTR movies. I really noticed that the music in the movie were great for spinning. My current playlist is a work in progress, but here is what I have so far

Name Time Album Artist
1. The Steward of Gondor - The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King - Billy Boyd & Howard Shore
2. Requiem for a Dream (Orchestral Version)- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Clint Mansell
3. Minas Tirith - The Lord Of The Rings: The Return of The King - Howard Shore
4. The Ride Of The Rohirrim - The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of the King - Howard Shore
5. The Fields Of Pelennor - The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King - Howard Shore
6. The Riders Of Rohan - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Howard Shore
7. Helm's Deep - The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers - Howard Shore
8. The Council Of Elrond - The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Enya
9. Molossus - Batman Begins - Hans Zimmer
10. The Might of Rome - Gladiator [2000 Original Score] - Hans Zimmer
11. Am I Not Merciful - Gladiator Soundtrack - Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard
12. Another Brick in Hadrian's Wall - King Arthur - Hans Zimmer
13. Nycteris - Batman Begins - Hans Zimmer
14. Nara - Unfaithful Soundtrack - E.S. Posthumus
15. Top Gun Theme Song - Top Gun the Movie - Hans Zimmer
16. Now We Are Free - Gladiator Soundtrack - Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard
17. Leave No Man Behind - Black Hawk Down - Hans Zimmer
18. Ladder 49 Soundtrack- Firefighter`s Funeral - Hans Zimmer
19. I See Dead People In Boats - Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - Hans Zimmer
20. Jack's Suite (Paul Oakenfold Mix) - Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End- Hans Zimmer And Paul Oakenfold
21. The Kraken - Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer
22. Skull And Crossbones - Pirates Of The Caribbean - The Curse O... Klaus Badelt

10 comments:

Jess said...

Huh, I would have never thought of listening to a movie's score while working out. Good call.

Shannon said...

What are you a spin instructor or someting?

Nice work my friend, I may steal the concept.

Calyx Meredith said...

Good luck stretching out all those tight muscles!

Wes said...

A little fixated on LOTR there bro? ROFL... I lurve it :-) I gotz no clues on the running stuff. I just know I liked my green inserts for my Mizoos. So much, as a matter of fact, that I pulled them out of the old ones and put them into my new ones.

I think your goal for running right now is to build your endurance back up. Speed and such will come later.

Good luck!!! Keep workin it....

D10 said...

Great idea listening to movie scores! You have plenty of time to build up your running, so taking care of your leg and foot issues now is a smart thing to do.

ShirleyPerly said...

Those are some awesome songs on your playlist! I'm a big Hans Zimmer fan and could see how his songs would be so motivating for an indoor ride (though I rarely do them).

Hope you are able to get those "issues" resolved one way or another!

sRod said...

Great idea with the movie scores! I've done gym classes to movie scores before, but never thought of running to it.

Nitmos said...

Those are all pretty intense movies. Ever consider Xanadu? Rollerskates and Gene Kelly...never a better idea.

Viv said...

Aweome climb ride Kevin! Great playlist gonna snag a few. Anytime ya wann share music tips I am listening.

Christi Baylor said...

I love climbing to movie scores. Some other good soundtracks to add to your list are the Matrix soundtracks and Swordfish. Enigma has some intense clib songs as well.