Monday, May 25, 2009

And so it begins (T Minus 165 Days and Counting)

Today officially begins my 24 week Beach to Battleship Full Iron Distance training plan. I am really looking forward to getting back to an entirely structured training plan. The only thing I am not exactly looking forward to is getting up at the butt crack of stupid again. This time around I am looking at at least two days during the week of doubling up as well as doubling up both days on the weekend. I am using Level 6 of the Triathlete Magazine Week by Week Training Plan guide. As Part of the plan, I will be racing the South Carolina Half again this year.

The last few weeks have been slightly unproductive as far as training goes. Between school projects, finals, and our hospitals Joint Commission inspection. Needless to say training suffered. Now that all is done, it should be smooth sailing where training is concerned.

I have had mixed results dealing with my running difficulties. I think I have find the root cause of my problems. I have mentioned (too many times) about my tight hips. After reading a few yoga-related articles I have found a series of stretches for dealing with tight hips. I have been practicing these stretches almost nightly and I can see some slight improvement. From what I have read, fixing these types of things can take a long time.

On Saturday, I did a test run to see how my running is going. The first long run next weekend is 80 minutes so I wanted to see how 60 minutes felt. Because I am likely to be run-walking the run portion of the ironman, I am building it in to my training. For the first half I walked a minute after every mile and then the second half I walked a minute after every half mile. While it was slow and I only averaged 11:49/mile, my legs felt good. As I work out the kinks in my legs, I hope to be able to only take walk breaks on the mile. The speed and hill work in the plan should help me build some strength and speed in my running.

Today I suffered through a 5K. It was hot and humid. Initially my legs felt good. At about 1.25 miles in I started having to tell myself I was not going to walk. By 1.5 miles i started to take walk breaks. I think I didnt stretch enough last night and I didnt warm up at all so my legs were tight. I ended up finishing in 32:34 which was an avg of about 10:30 per mile. With walk breaks that wasnt too bad, but still disappointing. On an interesting note, as I sprinted to the finish line, I registered my highest HR ever (at least highest accurate one) at 200. What really ticked me off, (besides walkers at the front, walkers on the left side, and those with strollers) was as I am being pushed through the corral, trying to catch my breath, some old guy is trying to shove a flyer for another race in my face.

As it gets closer to race day, I will disclose what I have in mind as far as goals. Obviously my most important goal is to simply finish. Beyond that, I have a few different time goals in mind, but I wont disclose them till I know that they are more realistic based on my long rides and bricks.

I also hope to be more active with my blogging now that I am training full force. Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend

16 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

I did a run walk this weekend too. It's slow, but seems to be easy on the body.

Stef said...

Holy cow 24 weeks makes it sound close! It will be here before we know it. Glad you're back looking forward to following your training.

So are you DONE with school now?

teacherwoman said...

I am kind of jealous that you are doing Beach 2 Battleship. Maybe I will try for it next year!

D10 said...

Here is to a great 165 days of training. I can't wait to watch your progress. Sounds like you got a solid plan in place!

Jess said...

Good luck as IM training gets in to full swing!

Marcy said...

165 days doesn't seem like so long off to me?!

Are you done with school now?!

Chris said...

Hey Kev,
Great to see your back at it and Congrats on School! I can only imgine how happy (and releived) you are.

Good luck on your B2B training plan. I'll be watching and pulling for you!

triguyjt said...

good luck as you get more and more focus toward the full distance race...

Calyx Meredith said...

So we can throw you a virtual graduation party now?? Woo hoo Kevin!!!

And yay for making some improvement in the underlying cause with those hips - hope that helps. Good luck with the "official" training!

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Good luck with the program. It sounds like you are all ready to go!

ShirleyPerly said...

YAY, let the training begin!! I don't know about you but the shorter the race, the longer the warm-up I need, i.e., 1-2 miles for a 5K, or else I'd find myself really struggling after the first mile and wanting to walk some too.

Congrats on finishing school!!

Heather said...

Good luck on your training!


If the flyer was for Harris Jacob's Dream Run, give them a break. It is the best race in the Atlanta area :)

Wes said...

Hey, hey, here we go!! run/walk rocks :-)

Nitmos said...

165 days is a lot of days to focus on the task. Enjoy the process!

sRod said...

Great to have you back! Crazy that you're staring down the barrel of a 24 week training program. Good luck!

opendoor said...

Blog is interesting and motivated me a lot!! thanks
Alpharetta Home Inspection