Saturday, January 24, 2009

Triathletes vs Little Kiddos or Near Riot at LTF

I went to Lifetime Fitness on Thursday night for a swim. I got there and all the lanes were in use. Not only that, but I saw a staff member putting cones next to two lanes. This wasnt a total surprise to me because they had the same thing the week before. The problem is that they already take over several lanes most of the night Monday and Wednesday and now they are taking two lanes over on Thursday? Plus, it isnt on any of the printed schedules. They kicked the two people out of those lanes. One went and shared with another, the other got out because he was waiting for his wife. We were all completely ticked off. The one who was waiting for his wife was the most verbal. The manager came out and was nice and said he would look into the schedule. I had to wait almost 30 minutes just to share a lane.There was like 4 or 5 of us all waiting for lanes. At least I was still able to have a good 3000 Meter swim.

Little did I know, the craziness would continue, though the second part was my fault. Cathy had to work really late because they were moving their office that night. I came home, made dinner, and then went to working on my bike since there wasnt anything on TV that night I just couldnt wait to see. I went about putting the angled stem back on my tri bike. This position is definitely more comfortable. I finished up about 10:30ish and was wide awake. I decided what the heck, I am awake, I can sleep in slightly (extra hour of sleep on Fri) , and I should probably test the new setup. So, at 11PM on Thursday night I rode my bike on the trainer for 45 minutes.

I took Friday off and I was originally planning on running this morning. I was looking forward to running with my group again. I was planning on running 4 miles. I set my alarm for 5AM, woke up, it was raining so I rolled over and turned the alarm off. I ended up sleeping for the rest of the morning. I may have been making up for Thursday night. So after running some errands, I headed out to the local park for my run. My plan was to do 4 miles. This would be my longest in months. The park has a 1 mile loop with only really 2 uphills. I felt great. I took no walk breaks. I only had to stop once to re-tie my shoes. I never thought I would be so happy about 4 miles. I was generally able to keep my HR down. I even noticed that my HR was only 60 when I put my HR strap on. This means my true resting HR is back down under 60 which means I am truly regaining my fitness. Up tomorrow is a ride, probably on the trainer since I have to do it early while the temp is still around freezing since I have school in the afternoon.

So, the first few races on my schedule are now official. Cathy and I are signed up for both indoor tri's as well as the Calloway Sprint Tri. I am also signed up for the Tundra Time Trial cycling race. Since I am only base training right now, I think I may wait to do my LT test until then.

11 comments:

Shannon said...

The pool situation is crazy here too. Sounds like you have a nice bunch of races coming up.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

I'm not swimming right now because of similar pool craziness. I just decided to bag it for a month or so.

Race schedule looks good. :-)

Jess said...

Sounds like the pool needs to re-think its scheduling!

Karen said...

that is kind of weird. I guess they ran out of space in the regular kiddie pool with the slides. Hopefully it will die down in a couple of weeks!

Calyx Meredith said...

If it's on the schedule and people can plan around it, that's one thing - but getting pre-empted once you've made the effort and are ready to jump in? That sucks. I can see why people were upset. Good for you for sticking it out and getting in a big swim! Sounds like you and Cathy have a good race schedule coming up.

Stef said...

That is sooooo lame I don't blame that guy for being ticked!

I am so spoiled with our municipal pool. I never have to wait for a lane. Ever. And 9.9 times out of 10 I have my own lane.

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

I always did my swimming in the mornings, so it usually isn't crowded, but they don't use the lap pool for anything other than lap swimmers at my Lifetime Fitness.

ShirleyPerly said...

Glad you got your swim in. The pools near me have been deserted. Though some of them are heated, no one has wanted to swim when it's 30-40 degs outside (they're outdoor pools). Hope the situation at your pool improves!

Stuart said...

The pool i have been going to is outside so it's pretty empty, most folks are pruning it up in the hot tub!

akshaye said...

thats crazy.. terrible scheduling. Hopefully it was a one off thing

sRod said...

Crazy stuff at the pool. At least you got your swim in.