Saturday, January 3, 2009

Starting off 2009 Strong

So far things are starting off well for 2009. My official planned out training should start on Monday. I am trying to decide if I want to do all base until the 6 month IM training or do a modified sprint plan until may with long rides and runs on the weekend. I think I may do a mix of both. Right now I am reading the Triathlete's Training Bible and am getting alot out of it. My motto for this year is to train smarter, not harder.

Initially, I am going to stick to base training until I feel like my fitness is back where I need it to be for doing any sort of speed work. I plan on assessing my fitness about every 4-6 weeks. Initially, I need to do Lactate Threshold Tests for both running and Biking. I also need to do a 1000M TT in the pool. Once I am starting to see improvements, I will start to add some speed work back. My thought is I will try to pick up speed while I can, and then once Iron Training kicks into full gear, I will focus specifically on endurance.

I also want to try to get at least one strength workout and at least two of my 20 minute yoga sessions a week. In order to be successful, I need to be strong and I need to be flexible. I am planning to focus on specific weaknesses as far a strength and flexibility.

So far, my 2009 training is going well.

My running is a slow recovery. My legs are feeling good, but my breathing has been holding me back. I think it is a combination of things, but I have gone back on the strong Asthma meds that should get my breathing under control. My HR has also been a little higher then I would like.


I ran 2 miles on Monday.Took Tuesday off and then Swam 1800 on Wednesday. It was all drills 200s of swim,kick,pull with paddles, swim with paddles. Thursday, I ran again, but it was really tough. I nearly gave up after 2.25 miles, but after walking for about 7 minutes, I picked it up and finished my 3 miler. It was this point that I knew I needed to be back on the asthma meds in addition to my rescue inhaler I use before training. Friday, I got back into the pool. This was the first time since joining Lifetime Fitness that we actually had to share a lane. I definitely dislike the new years amateur season at the gym. At least it should only last a few months. I was planning on doing my 1000M TT, but that wouldnt be feasible with the narrow lanes.

With the weather being rainy and foggy, we decided to hit the gym for a spin class. This would be my first spin class at Lifetime, but I knew the instructor because se is a member of my Tri Club. I was thoroughly impressed with the class. Given my current fitness level, it was definitely challenging. I really like the fact that at lifetime, they use HR zones as the primary indicator of training intensity. Now, I just need to do my LT test so I have a better indicator of my Zones. Up tomorrow is a 3 or so mile run, likely on the dreadmill.

10 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

I'm all for training smarter, not harder!

It will be exciting to follow your journeys this year. :-)

Isela: Purling Sprite said...

Dreadmill is correct! I believe they should change the name of those hamster wheels to that one :).

I agree with Lisa, it is going to be exciting reading about your progress.

Shannon said...

You've inspired me to get busy on my training schedule. Looking good brother.....

Jess said...

Nice job on starting 2009 off so strong!

Danielle in Iowa said...

I wish my spin class went by heart rate zones! I am too numbers oriented to do well with perceived exertion scales (I'm an engineer, cut my some slack - we think, not feel :-))

D10 said...

I think you are smart easing your way back into things and not pushing. You have a lot of training in the works this year so being smart about things is what will get you through.

Jonathan Collins said...

Great job on the new year. Are you going to use a coach or is that out of the budget?

Stef said...

Great start to 2009! And I agree 100% with training smarter rather than harder.

Chris said...

Hey Kevin,
It sounds like 2009 is starting off right for you. I love the training BIble and think that it has a TON of good (train smarter) info. Good luck on your training start up. Ih hope that getting back on your asthma meds and inhaler help get your back to where you need to be for the run. I run and ride with my inhaler and know that it makes a huge difference in my asthma.

triguyjt said...

like your motto for 09...smarter not harder...makes sense