Sunday, January 4, 2009

The slow road back

I realized today that regaining my fitness will truly be a slow road. I think I read somewhere it takes twice as long to regain fitness as it took to lose it. I have come to the realization that the majority of my running since resuming training has been at or around my Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (somewhere in the low 170s).While I have not done any LT testing yet, I can feel it getting hard to breathe at that rate and I cannot maintain it for more then about five minutes.

Today, I did my three miler with walk breaks every half mile. I think I may need to take walk breaks right now closer to every quarter mile. At 6mph, which is the slowest I can run on the dreadmill, my HR slowly climbs above 170 after about the first half mile and climbs quickly back up their after my walk breaks. The other thing is that I need to get back to running outside. Outside, I can run at a slower pace and possibly keep my HR down. In order to regain my aerobic endurance, I need to train at an aerobic heart rate. Right now, most of my running has been anaerobic. I have got to do what I can to keep the HR down even if that means more walking.

At times this can be a little frustrating. I want to get out and run faster or run longer. I know I cannot do that safely right now and I will not do anything that obviously puts myself at greater risk of injury.

As with almost everyone else, tomorrow officially begins 2009 for me as far as training goes. My hope is to train at least 30 minutes every day whether it be swimming,biking,running, strength training, or yoga/stretching. I want to try to blog more often, even if it is to log my training. I plan to continuing reading lots of books/magazines/etc on running,triathlon, and nutrition. I have several books I have bought and have never read, or have read through and havent completely abosrbed. Once I finish the Triathlete's Training Bible, I have a 1000+ page book called the Lore of Running that is like the encyclopedia of running and trainin. Because I cannot afford a coach and I am now "coaching" Cathy, I want to be as knowledgeable as possible.

I also plan to eat much smarter this year. I would like to lose about 30 pounds or so by the time November rolls around. No more excuses, no more eating junk. It is time to get serious. To that end, I was busy in the kitchen tonight. I made whole wheat thin crust veggie pizza for dinner and tomorrows lunch and prepped a humongous veggie lasagna for dinner tomorrow and lunches for this week. I also took my first shot at a homemade protein bar. In order to ensure I eat right, I need to stay ahead of the game in the kitchen. The trick is to prep meals on the weekend and plan other meals that take little time to prepare.

Hope everyone has great things planned for 2009
Kevin

13 comments:

Stef said...

You are sure right about the food. It takes a lot of work to stay ahead of that game. At least it feels that way to me. If you like those protein bars, post the recipe!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Let the games begin!

New week, new month, new year, new beginning.

Go make it happen. :-)

Jess said...

I think initially, it takes awhile to regain your endurance, but you'll be surprised how quickly it will rebuild. Don't worry, you'll be back to running like your old self in no time!

D10 said...

Prepping meals is a huge help with eating better, planning them too. I think you are on the right track. You comment about not pushing and being safe is so very important.

Makita said...

"I think I read somewhere it takes twice as long to regain fitness as it took to lose it." Say it isn't so!
I'm rebuilding too... I hope it isn't too slow. That would be very frustrating.

I'll be right there with ya! :)

Sherry said...

Your pizza post on Facebook just killed me last night! LOL! I'm glad to see that it was created in such a healthy way, but still... oh my gosh, the cravings!!!

I think your approach to regaining the fitness that you lost sounds very sensible. You will probably even come out of it stronger and with more endurance than you had last year b/c you took the time to really build up a good base.

Keep it up... and if you ever have ANY left over pizza, it should make it to FL just fine using Express Delivery. :o)

Mendy said...

I hear ya on the regaining the fitness. I'm in the boat as well and it really is disheartening sometimes. You'll get it back. I think Jess is right, it takes time to regain endurance.

You'll get there, for sure!

Wes said...

Eating right requires planning. I'm learning :-) Do you have to torture me with this Dolphin's mouse cursor? ROFL... But I don't get why you can't run on the treadmill. All of your exercises should target HR zones, and the treadmill is fantastic for being able to control your zones.

Chad Sayban said...

It will be a slow road back, but as long as you work at it consistantly, you will be back more quickly than you think.

Gotta Run said...

Best book I have purchased... BeIronFit. It is a must have!!!!!

B2B ....

mooskietx said...

What a great book!!!!!
Check out the gyms in Atlanta, to stay in shape!

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Kevin,

I'm an academic physician (formerly at Harvard and Stanford) who found your blog while looking for the best health writers. I think your writing is great! I would like to feature you in the Triathlon Community on Wellsphere, a top 10 health website that has well over 2 million visitors monthly.

If you would like to learn more, just drop me an email to Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com

ShirleyPerly said...

Lore of Running was the reference text for the RRCA running coach certification course I took a few years back. Very comprehensive and a great read, IMO, if you're going to be coaching someone else. I'm sure it'll also help you too!