Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Get out of the pool now!!

My training streak continues. 6 for 6 in 2009 and 7 for 7 in the last week. I continue to feel good overall.

Monday morning, I awoke to a little knee pain from Sunday's run. It felt similar to the bursitis I encountered last year. I have been icing it and using the trigger point stuff and it feels pretty good. If there is any hint of pain tomorrow, I will skip the planned run and either ride or strength train/yoga.

Monday night I got on the bike for an easy 45 minute ride. I primarily rode around Zone 2 with occasional bouts into Z3. In addition to steady pacing, I did low cadence/high resistance, high cadence/low resistance, and high cadence/high resistance. On the bike, my legs feel rather strong. It will be interesting to see if the bike is my strength this year. I am hoping in the next week or so, possibly this weekend to go ahead and do my LT testing on the bike so I have a baseline measurement.

Up tonight was a 1000M Time Trial that I have put off a couple times for a variety of reasons. When I got to the gym, I was glad to see that the lap pool was nearly empty. I warmed up with an easy 200M to loosen up and bring up my heart rate. Then I was off. I knew it wouldnt exactly be pretty with the limited amount of swimming I had done since South Carolina.I started out feeling strong, but by about 500 in, I could feel my arms tiring. My halfway split was 8:19 and my second half was in 9:45. I definitely dont have the endurance I had last year, but overall, I feel good about where I stand. I would like to see those 2 500s get closer together.My average per 100 was 1:48. Back in November, I did a TT of 3 300s and my average was 1:52. That is a big improvement given that there was no rest in the 1000 and there was rests between the 300s. Last year, my best pace racing/training on anything over 100 was about 1:33. This gives me hope that in another month or two, that my base swimming fitness should be back where it needs to be. I think the trigger point self-treatments on the shoulder has been helping. While I have not been able to completely get rid of the pain yet, it hasnt been too bad.

So the title of this post refers to what happened as I was cooling down. About 50M into my cooldown we were told to evacuate the pool because we were under a tornado watch. I was just happy that I was able to get my TT in before this happened. Luckily, we didnt have any tornadoes around here.

In addition to my technical reading on training for Ironman, I found a great book on the human aspect of Ironman.Becoming an Ironman: First Encounters with the Ultimate Endurance Event is a great book with many stories of first encounters with Ironman distance races. I have only read through a couple stories so far and it is very inspiring.

15 comments:

Shannon said...

I'll have to pick up the book bud, sounds great. Thanks for the tip.

D10 said...

You are going great. I think it is really good that you know where you are in all three events. This will help you get to where you want to be.

Jess said...

Glad you got your TT done before you had to evacuate!

Calyx Meredith said...

I love to hear the stories behind how people get to Ironman (hence my addiction to so many blogs!) so I'll have to check out that book. Great start to 2009 you've got going!

Chris said...

Your post reminds me how BAD I need to get back in the pool and start building my swim fitness. It scares me to think about how much I have probably gone backwards from the SC Half. There just seems to not be enough training hours in the day available to get my workouts in. (or enough energy seems like too)

Great to see yout TT come out a little better than you thought. It's a good boost heading into prime warmup time for the 2009 season!!

Marcy said...

I'm with Calyx Meredith! Even though IM is NOT in my cards right now I always dig other's stories. I might just have to pick that baby up!

Viv said...

Well at least you got the workout in before being pulled. Sounds like a great book. it is going to be a blast to follow you through this journey.

Nitmos said...

Noticing your Miami Dolphin cursor...you're welcome for Jake Long.

Nice year of work so far!

Gotta Run said...

I will have to add that book to my list. Thanks!

Sara Cox Landolt said...

Hey there, I'm new to your blog. I've also read that book, tons of great stories and inspiration. Definitely good reading, anytime!

Best to you and your training!

Rachel said...

Sounds like you're off to a great start on the new year! Keep up the nice work!

Brett said...

When training for IM consistancy is the key. It doesn't have to be fast and it doesn't necessarily have to be long, it just has to be often.

Good luck!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Great job on being 6 for 6 and 7 for 7 so far. Off to a great start!!

Wes said...

Good timing AND good book :-) I read that one myself...

Marni said...

Wow 6 for 6! Amazing!
Tell me about the protein bar recipe...yum!
-marn