Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Feeling Great, but super busy

Things are going pretty well as far as training goes. My final semester of scholl has started and it looks like it will be a busy one. Things at work are crazy right now. On Friday, I walked into the parking deck and could not remember which level I parked on. I am lucky to have my triathlon training to clear my mind. It continues to amaze me how easy it is to clear my mind and forget about all the craziness when I am swimming/biking/running. I would probably go crazy if I couldnt train right now.

With lots of stretching/foam rolling/Trigger point my knee is feeling good. I skipped my run this weekend and took an extra day off.

Saturday I rode my bike for 45 minutes. I realized, based on some of the Ironman reading I have been doing that I should probably go ahead and put the angled stem back on instead of the more aggressive straight one. For the Ironman, comfort is going to be more important then a more aggressive position. I think this position may have also caused some of my shoulder pain. I know I need to get in for a followup fitting, but I just dont have the time right now. I am not getting any knee or back pain, just not completely comfortable in my current position

Sunday, I was off. Since my knees felt good, I decided to try running on Monday. I really did not want to get on the dreadmill, so I decided to put on some warm clothes and run in my hood. This was my first run outdoors since I rolled my ankle in October. It went really well. I still took some walk breaks, but they were less structured. I walked some hills, and other I would run and then walk afterwards. It was slow, but my legs felt good and it felt good to get outside and run. Of course, my next run may need to be indoors due to the dropping temps here in Atlanta.

Yesterday (Tues) I swam a total of 2550 Meters. This was my first workout using the Swim Workouts in a Binder, and it felt pretty good. I am going to start using their shorter "B" workouts for now as I build up my endurance.

Today I got on the bike for 45 minutes. My legs felt strong. My average mph is definitely getting higher. I need to start extending those and get back outdoors since the Time Trial is in February. This weekend I will work on adjusting my position. Once I get my position right, I need to do my TT/LT Test outdoors.

Well, I really should be getting off to bed, I have another hectic day tomorrow.

13 comments:

Stef said...

Thanks for the post Kevin, glad you are doing well!

I agree without training I would go crazy also. I'm probably not as busy as you are right now but nevertheless I NEED it!

Karen said...

Funny how training can get your mind off the rest of your life :)

D10 said...

Glad things are going well. I hear you with the last semester of school. I can't wait to finish. What are you going to end up with?

Jess said...

Good to hear that things are going well! Good luck with your last semester of school.

Mendy said...

Good luck with school/life/training. It's tough to do all that, but you definately can.

Doing great with your training!

Wes said...

The cold weather will have a serious impact on your TTs. Make sure you schedule a retest in May or early June!

I {heart} my swim workouts in a binder book.

ShirleyPerly said...

Ha, I think it's all about comfort on the bike when going long. I don't have a very aggressive riding position at all and the most cushiest Schwinn seat, which some say is not ideal, but, hey, I can ride my bike for hours, no prob :-)

YAY, for getting outside for a run!

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

You are absolutely right about going with comfort on the bike for an Ironman. It's going to be uncomfortable enough without adding anymore discomfort from an aggressive position.

Glad to hear the knee is feeling good!

Marcy said...

YOu sound super busy Kev! I'm glad things are going good, though :-)

teacherwoman said...

Training keeps me sane!.... especially with the career path I have chosen! LOL. Glad to hear things are going well!

Chris said...

Great to see that your training is looking up. I'm with you in that training for me is part stress reliever and a sanity drug.

I'm not sure how I would cope without it and be a decent friend, husband and dad.

J~Mom said...

Sounds like it's busy but going well!! Keep up the great work!

Calyx Meredith said...

Your dedication to your plan now even with everything so crazy busy is going to make your later training when you have more time feel like CAKE! Keep it up man! (Is Kathy training with you?)