Thursday, December 4, 2008

Quick update

Not much going on here. I am finishing up the semester of school this week and it has kept me really busy. One presentation on Saturday and I am done with this Semester. Only one more to go!!

I have not been on the bike at all since my Half Iron. Last weekend, I finally got around to fixing her up. I replaced the base bar I bent the night before the half and added some new red camo tape to it. I also swapped out the headset back to the more aggressive manufacturers one. I knew I have wanted to be in a more aggressive position. I rode on it quickly while I was setting it up and it feels ok. I still may need to take it back into the shop for my free refit.

My weight training is going ok. It would be better if I can get more consistent. Once I get back from the cruise we are going on soon, I will be back to training consistently. I plan on taking the strength band with me on the cruise, and I know the cruise ship has a gym as well. Sunday we did a fitness pilates class at the gym and it was brutal. I was sore in odd places. My abs hurt for days. I definitely plan on going back. It fits right into my plan for training smarter in 2009. A little bit of core help will go along way come 70.3 time.

My sprained ankle is like 90 percent healed. It only hurts occasionally when I bend it the wrong way. My achilles tendonitis is under control and I think I may be close to the root cause. I still get a little bit of popping when I flex it, but otherwise it is good. I ran today for the first time in about a month. It felt pretty good. No pain, but I was out of breath and my HR was way too high for 6 mph. I did a total of 3 miles as a run walk in about 35 minutes.

I have swam several times in the past week.On Thursday, I did a swim test. I did 300 warmup and then 3*300 with 2 minute rest followed by a 300 cool down. My average for the 3*300 was 1:52 which is seriously slow. I did a 2500 yard swim set on Saturday. By Monday my shoulder was achy. It is fine now.

With the shoulder and achilles, I really believe these are issues with tight muscles. I have been reading alot about trigger points and have been working through them. I have even dropped a hint to santa that I would like the Trigger point set for Christmas. I think that set would work better for me then the tennis ball

I have about 2 months before my official 70.3 training starts. My goal for these next two months is to build back a base and build back some speed while staying injury free. Then I start my 70.3 training in mid-February. I am using the minimalist training plan that was in Triathlete magazine last month. Since I will be taking 4 classes, I just dont think I will have the time to do 2-a-days all week. I may add some additional training in as I see fit, but for the most part I will stick to it. For Miami Man I plan on training hard and training often. My training starts just before the end of spring semester. Once I am done with school, I will be able to really train hard.

16 comments:

David said...

I need to pimp my tri ride, too. Gots some mad changes to make!

Glad your SQL query finally finished! ;-)

Calyx Meredith said...

As always, it sounds like you've got a well thought out plan! Glad you're getting to the root of your aches. Have fun on the cruise!

D10 said...

I like the candy cane look! Sounds like you are almost back to 100%! I am sure after all the rest and relaxing you will have on your vacation you'll be good to go.

Good luck on your presentation.

Jess said...

Gla dot hear the ankle is 90% healed!

Steve Stenzel said...

Yeah, we both need to get on our bikes more! It's so hard this time of year!

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

It sounds like your off-season is going really well. Get all healed up and you are going to be all ready for the 2009 season.

Wes said...

Glad to hear everything is healing up fine. You'll need to be 100% for the cruise :-D

Marcy said...

Like the look Kev!

Ooooo I'm so happy you're injuries are healing up nice :-) It's been such a time with those babies.

Flatman said...

YOU WON THE HELMET!!! lucky!

Congrats!

ShirleyPerly said...

Hmm, now why do I suddenly have a craving for candy canes?

Hope Santa reads your blog and you get that Trigger Point set for Xmas!

Sherry said...

It looks like you are engaged in some really SMART base training, Kevin. If only more of us would take your approach.

Glad that all of your aches and pains are healing up nicely. I had to LOL at your post-Pilates sore abs comment. About a month before MiamiMan I started attending a once per week BodyFlow class (a mix of Pilats, Yoga and Tai Chi) and I was soooo sore after the first class I thought I would going to have to take an unscheduled rest day! LOL! I was like, "how can I, someone who has built up such a level of endurace this past year, get sore from a bit of yogalates?" It was an eye opening experience! I try not to neglect those bit-parts now. :o)

Karen said...

Glad you are healing up! The downtime can be stressful. I like the new blog look :)

Ryan said...

Make sure you go into your bathroom, turn the shower on hot, crank your furnace to high, and run for 2 hours.

Perfect training for RnR half ;-0


I'll probably be back there.

Happy training!

Viv said...

Glad you are almost back to a 100%!!
Good luck with the presentation but also enjoy the updcoming cruise!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

I'm glad your ankle is 90 percent healed. Coming off of an injury myself, I know how important that is.

Hang in there, as you said, you'll do better when you have more time available. :-)

J~Mom said...

Sounds like things are going well. I hope your ankle heals completely soon!