Sunday, December 7, 2008

An Early Christmas Presen

I received an early Christmas present on Friday. I dont know how many of you read the Everyman Tri blog or listen to the Everyman Endurance podcast. Both are excellent resources for information on the latest news in triathlon and endurance sports. They are the creation of Roman Mica, who also is the creator of theB-Fit B-Day Challenge

In return for adding the widget to my sidebar with the latest news from Everyman Tri, I was entered into a drawing on Friday for a free Rudy Project TT Helmet



I checked back on Friday and lo and behold, I won!! I can wait to put it to use in 2009. Once I get it in I will post some pictures and then when I do my TT in February I will definitely post a review. It's funny I havent won many things in my life, but I have three times now won something from blogging.

My training is coming along ok. I swam on Friday for a total of 1000 yards (250 swim/pull/kick/swim). I had a little shoulder pain, but I have been able to work it out with trigger point massage.

Today I did 45 minutes base building in the bike. For most of the ride, I kept a low cadence with a high resistance and tried to keep my HR in Z1 or low Z2. I about a month, I plan to do some threshold self testing so I can get a good idea of my Lactate Threshold HR. Part of my plan for training smarter this year is to train by HR.

I have been using my stick to roll out some knots in my calves. I think this has been the cause of my achilles issues. I have gotten the green light on the trigger point kit. With this I can complete my self-torture(injury prevention) kit. I was reading about a triathlete training for Ironman who was having the exact two issues I have been having and working out the trigger points helped him finally be pain free. I have had some luck with the foam roller(which cant seem to keep its shape),tennis ball,and the stick, but this TP kit should be the best thing to help work out all the pain.



Now that this semester is over and training is starting to build back in, I hope to post more often and try to stay caught up with all your blogs. Well I am off to torture myself some more with that darn stick

22 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Suweeeeeet helmet! congrats on that!!

SUB6 said...

It's a great helmet. I won the same one back in June and will use it in my first race on Saturday. I'm hoping it'll make a difference :)

Good Luck with yours and congratulations :)

Xenia said...

Congrats on the sweet helmet!!

D10 said...

The new helmet will help get you motivated once you really start training again. You'll have to let us know how the trigger point kit works.

Calyx Meredith said...

Coolie cool helmet! Good luck with the trigger point kit.

teacherwoman said...

That is an AWESOME early Christmas present!

Wes said...

Wouldn't do me any good to enter into contests like that. I have a huge head :-) Very nice though! Enjoy!!

Viv said...

Oh Kevin that helmet just screams triathlete and speed! Have fun with it, I bet it will just make you faster!! Congrats...

USA FIT Atlanta-Gwinnett said...

Kevin, I noticed your blog and see that you live in Cumming, GA. In case you don't know there is a group in Suwanee that trains runners and triathletes. So if you are looking for people to train with, check us out at www.usafitgwinnett.com. It would be great to have you join us.

Gotta Run said...

You are one lucky dude!!! SWEETTTT!!!

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Wow! That's one cool looking prize to win. I'm sure you are going to put that to good use next year.

Tat said...

That is one goodlooking helmet!

ShirleyPerly said...

Congrats on the helmet!!

I resisted getting an aero helmet but have to admit that wearing it makes me want to go fast. Hope it works for you too.

Marcy said...

CONGRATS KEV!!! Veru spiffy helmet!

I saw Pat also got that self torture kit . . .hmmmm I might just have to pick one up myself ;-)

J~Mom said...

Sweet helmet!!!

David said...

I used one of those helmets in 2007. Very comfortable, and keeps your head cool. Nice snag!

Mendy said...

Congrats on the helmet!!

That stick looks painful. I love ours (it's "the stick") - really need to use it more.

Love the new blog look!

Frayed Laces said...

Oh my gosh that helmet can only be described in one word: awesome

Nitmos said...

I love biker helmets. I feel like the promises of Battlestar Gallactica are so close to becoming reality.

Rachel said...

Nice helmet! Love the stick too. Good torture.

Danielle said...

Nice helmet!! Let me know what you think of the trigger point system. I have had a lot of foot/heel pain, but it's not plantar fascitis, just little kinks that needed to be worked out. Today I bought a roller thing that has grooves on it and you can freeze it! Can't wait to use it!

Richard said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

-R