Monday, December 29, 2008

Cruisin the Caribbean, Concluded

Day 5-St Maarten
We didnt really have any specific plans for St Maarten. We didnt even set an alarm. I woke up as we were pulling into port. Once I had some breakfast and woke up fully, the ship had finished docking. I got dressed and headed up the deck to run loops on the track. Each loop was about .2 to .25 miles. It was definitely a run with a view



I did a total of three miles and took in the sights as I ran my loops



After showering, eating, and getting dressed, we headed off the boat. Through the cruise line shopping show, we had many coupons for freebies. We hit up as many as we could and then did a little shopping. Once we finished up shopping, we walked along the beach, heading towards the ship. We came across a decent looking place for lunch, Taloula Mango'sOnce again, we lucked out and the food was great. We also enjoyed a couple Caribe bears each.



Apparently its bar upstairs has an interesting name



There was also some excellent entertainment playing across the boardwalk. There was a local reggae band whose lead singer was very entertaining.













After lunch, we stopped at a little tiki bar and split a frozen drink. We headed back on the ship and took a nap before dinner. It was the second formal night, and we took additional formal pictures.



After dinner, we met up with our dinner table mates for the nightly trivia game. It was fun, and I think we came in about 3rd place or so

Day 6-At Sea
It was hard to believe that the next time we would be getting off the ship it would be back in Miami. While Cathy slept, I headed down to the gym for some decent training. I did a 60 minute self guided set on the spin bike followed by a 1 mile run on the dreadmill. I finished it up with a 20 minute yogamazing yoga session and some time in the sauna. I was starting to feel like some sort of cold was coming on and I was trying to fight off the congestion at this point.

After breakfast, we headed out the pool deck to watch the belly flop contest. Once again the cruise director made this extremely entertaining



That night we had dinner in their specialty Italian restaurant. It was absolutely worth the extra money. We came back to our towl monkey, shock



We then headed out for another game show. This time it was based on the Scene It? board/DVD game. It was a great time, and our team won. We each won a Royal Caribbean hat.



From there, we headed for the Quest Game Show Adult Scavenger Hunt. This was absolutely hilarious. They set up volunteers into teams of 2 men and two women. The first couple of tasks were easy things like the cruise compass (daily guide). Then, they got more interesting. The men had to come up to the cruise director in women's shoes.



Then the men had to come up wearing lipstick. Of course he never said it had to be on their lips, but all the men came up with it on their lips.

Then the women had to do perfect splits





After cracking up at the game show, we hung around for the 80's dance party which was pretty cool.

After that, we headed off to bed, heading into our last full day aboard

Day 7-Last Day at Sea
Day 7 was fairly uneventful. I did a 3 mile run on the deck. We did a few game shows. We had a couple of excellent margaritas with great take home glasses. Otherwise, we pretty much chilled out, hoping the last day would not end



We got off the ship the next morning. Cathy's parents picked us up and we headed back to their place. We packed up the rental cal and got back on the road towards home. 10.5 hours later and we were home.

We had the most amazing time during our 7 night cruise on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the seas. There were so many things to do to stay busy. our only regret is that is was not longer. We are already looking towards 2010 for another cruise. We are definitely Royal Caribbean Cruisers for life.

Oh, and with that being said, stay tuned for possibly a MAJOR change to 2009's schedule. Nothing is set in stone yet, but those of you who are on Facebook know what I am thinking about

13 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

nice photos. seems like a great trip.

but...you really can't leave us with a teaser like that for 2009...

D10 said...

The photos are awesome. Looks like you and Cathy really enjoyed your vacation. You guys really earned some time to relax. Hope you have a great New Year.

Ryan said...

Let's see....

You are either running away to join the circus, or ....


You will be running 140.6 miles in November???


I'm guessing choice #2

I called it, I told you the Iron lure is too strong to resist. I'll be there with you if you are thinking B2B.

Ryan said...

Oh, I am glad to see you didn't get the Norovirus.

Ryan said...

I just looked on Facebook.

I'll be living about 45 minutes from Wilmington. You'll have to come spend a weekend and we'll ride the course.

Happy Training!

Shannon said...

Awesome!

Love the run down and the photos.

Karen said...

What a great vacation! I'm impressed you worked out while you there :) If you want my copy of the Spirit of the Marathon, shoot me your address and I will send it to you. I don't generally watch movies more than once so would be happy to let you have it. kwhitlock at bellsouth dot net.

Jess said...

Sounds like you had a great trip!

Wes said...

Glad to see folks in the Caribbean don't know how to spell either :-) OK. I missed this facebook announcement. I now have a mission.

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

That sounds like a great cruise. Go ahead and keep the secret from the non-Facebook folks a little longer. ;-)

teacherwoman said...

Wow. You guys must have had a wonderful time! Great pics! Thanks for sharing, Kevin!

Viv said...

Love the recapp with the pics! I still have some Quest pics that I blackmail family memebers with.

Best wishes for a strong healthy 2009!

J~Mom said...

Glad you had such an amazing cruise! The gameshows looks so funny!