Sunday, November 23, 2008

A New Day, A new look for my blog

I have spent the last few days working on updating and rearranging my blog. I dug through the HTML and CSS code and read what I could find on the net. I think I have the layout I like at this point. Based on how I have reworked the code, it will be really easy for me to change the colors,fonts,and backgrounds of my blog to go with the seasons or whatever may be going on at the time. Blogger seems to work well, once you figure out the basics of how it reinterprets the HTML code. The best part is that even with all my changes, I still can use the layout and font color tools to make most my changes going forward.

The banner picture is from the South Carolina Half Iron. I don't know If I am in it or not, but I just thought it looked good. With how I have set it up, it shouldn't be too hard to change the pictures now. I found the quote the other day when I was flipping through Triathlete Magazine and thought it was perfect.

I am really glad we decided to leave LA Fitness to join Lifetime Fitness. The club is so much nicer and cleaner. There are so many options as far as group fitness classes, including several yoga classes. I am looking forward to trying out the rock wall. Today we went in for a free fitness test. This test consists of weight, body fat via calipers, bicep strength, hamstring flexibility, and an estimated VO2 Max. The best thing is that I can go back and be retested as often as I want. I am thinking about once a month to see how I am progressing.

My results were mixed. My weight today is 252. That is about 10 pounds heavier then I was at the SC 1/2. These last 2 months of little to no activity has really done a job on me. My body fat, based on the calipers is estimated to be about 20.8 %. That is close to what my scale at home has me at. It varies around 20-22% depending on time of day. Based on that, I currently have 200 pounds of lean body mass and 52.4 pounds of fat. When she went over the numbers, I realized how well I have been doing, even with the extra 10 pounds. My BF% of 20.8 is just above the optimal range that ends at 19%. Based on her recommendations, my ideal BF% should be around 13%. This means I only need to lose about 25-30 pounds. This would put my goal weight around 220-225. This is higher then I expected. I really thought my ideal weight would have been around or even under 200. That explains why I could never get below 220. I guess I will always be a clydesdale, which isnt necessarily a bad thing.

My biceps strength measured 86lbs which is in the high end of average. 88-100 is good and >100 is excellent. My sit and reach measured 9.4 inches. This is in the poor range. This was a sit and reach test done without any sort of workout. Average is around 13.6-15. My Estimated VO2 Max is 36.7 ml.kg min. According to the trainer, this number tends to read lower then ones true VO2 max. Even if this number isn't right, it should be consistent from test to test in order to give me an indication of process.

It gave me an overall fitness level of 40%. 41% is average and 61% is good. The computer then calculates an overall body age. Mine read out 35 (I am 31). It tells me with work, I can get that down to 22.

Overall, my results were a mixed bag. I definitely have much room for improvement. The VO2 max will go up once my training begins to be consistent again. I am going to work to get my diet back to where it needs to be. That may be a little tough for the next few weeks, especially given that we are headed on a 7 night cruise in 3 weeks. It would be nice if I could drop a few pounds before them.

Strength training is going well. I did 2 days last week. I realized that 5 days a week isnt feasible right now. Plus, I am hoping to at least get back in the pool I am going to incorporate core into my strength training. Many of the moves in the swim plan also work core. After our fit test. We hopped in the pool for a quick swim. I did about 1250 total. It felt pretty good, but I will see how it feels by tomorrow. Up tomorrow is strength training and week 1 of the 100 pushup program. I started it last week, but only got to do the test and W1D1. So I figured I might as well start week 1 ant the beginning of a week.

My schedule is also starting to come together. It looks like the ING Marathon and the indoor tri are on the same day. I am planning to do the indoor tri's (2 this year) as an all out fitness test. My two 70.3's are going to be RnR Macon and Miami Man. This gives me enough time to recover from RnR before I start training for Miami Man. Plus Miami is flat, and we have family there.

Overall I am feeling good. The little bit of running I did for the VO2 test didnt bother my ankle or my achilles, though I still can feel some rubbing on my achilles. My shoulder feels good so far. I really think strength training is going to be the thing that keeps me from injuring myself.

20 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

I really like the new look of your blog.

It's great to get all those measurements, even if you aren't thrilled with all the results. It gives you a baseline and you can be retested after some time and see what an impact it makes.

:-)

Stef said...

Nice new blog layout!

Where are you guys going on your cruise? I bet you are excited.

I'm impressed with the completeness of the tests they did on you. Sounds like that gym is the right one for you guys. And yeah the reason to get the numbers is so you have a baseline comparison. Your analysis of the BF% in relation to your ideal weight totally makes sense.

Good luck with everything. It sounds like you have a great plan. I'm going to schedule two HIMs next season as well. Happy Holidays!

Karen said...

Love the new layout! Lifetime is the best for the tests. Gives you a great idea of where you are and where you can improve. Glad the move to LFT is working out for you!

D10 said...

I like the new look, especially the banner picture. Getting the fitness test done is a great way to evaluate where you are and where you want to be. Hope you have a great week, enjoy Thanksgiving.

Glad the ankle felt pretty good,

Gotta Run said...

Wow... you have been busy. LOVE the banner photo!! That totally rocks.

Your new gym has a great benefit in the test they offer to measure where you are at. It gives you a much better idea of what is working and what is not.

As for food... enjoy your trip just watch the portions. To me that is the key to enjoying life.

Wes said...

This next year is going to be a good year for you. I hear Cathy is kicking some ass too :-)

Jess said...

The new look is very nice!

Calyx Meredith said...

Not only is your layout great but it's sooooo Kevin in that you did it by changing all of the technical CSS HTML thingies. Glad you like the new gym - sounds like a great change. Good luck with getting ready for your Christmas cruise!

Calyx Meredith said...

Oh - and I wanted to tell you that Sage Rountree has a great Yoga DVD! She is a triathlete herself (having just gone to World's this summer!) and she's a coach and yoga instructor. I can't figure out how to post the link here (because I would not be like you and all about the CSS thingies) but I'm sure it's easy to find on google. I know you've got classes at your new gym but if you need a back up plan for home - her DVD rocks.

cindy said...

LOVE the new layout and the fact that a little turkey pops up when I clicked on the "leave a comment" thing!! Little things like that make me smile :)

You're gonna have a great 2009. I hope to do 2 HIM's next year as well.

Hve fun on the cruise!!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

I love the new layout. Very cool!

Is Lifetime Fitness awesome or what? We have one close to our house and the whole family just loves the place.

Viv said...

The new look is really nice. The header is super.

Hang in there with the weight and low cardio burn, it will all be back to normal soon.

An Athlete In Training said...

Like the new look!

ShirleyPerly said...

That is really cool that you get all those fitness tests free. So much more meaningful, I think, than simply the scale or looking at race times.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

(oh, and all these little turkeys all over your blog are making me hungry :-)

Sherry said...

I like the new blog layout, Kevin. Very nice!

Having those baseline measurements are awesome. I'm quite sure that you will see improvements over time and remember, with body composition... slow and steady always wins.

Sooooo glad that you are doing MiamiMan. I really think you will love the course... epsecially the swim and the run. The lake is crystal clear and since you can see everything below you, it gives the brain something to focus on during the swim (other than your effort). The run, through the zoo, is beautiful. In '09 I promised myself that I would look at the animals a bit more. The bike... well, it's flat and the Miami police do a wonderful job with traffic control; just be ready to be down in your aerobars the entire time. You should really rock it on the bike!

Looking forward to meeting you...

Hope that you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Marcy said...

I like the new look! I especially love how the curser is now a turkey LOL!

Sarah said...

Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you are having a great weekend. Can't wait to hear how training is going - especially the weight training. I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do today so that I can start on Monday. Nothing like waiting 'til the last minute!

Oh, BTW, my blog link is now chasingiron.com in case you want to update your sidebar. I promise it's the last time I move :-)

Frayed Laces said...

Wow I love all the stats on your body you have--that's awesome to be able to track your training like that.

triguyjt said...

new look is awesome kevin...
love the little elf when you click...haha

great job on the testing....when you say you wanted to get to 200 but the test says maybe 220 is more of what you should weigh that got me thinking too....I always think 165 would be best for me...but realistically 185 is more natural and I have done my best races in that range...so...thats the goal...
keep up the training and set a goal of losing just 3-5 lbs before the cruise...and then try to maintain the weight on the cruise...hey, your gonna be active..you got the gym on board...plus excursions..... but enjoy the food too.....

VernettaSabryna said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Alena

www.smallbusinessavenues.com