Tuesday, October 21, 2008

#$!&%---My trip to the ER

Well so much for all my plans.

I had a 10 miler on tap for Saturday. At 2 miles in I new I was going to have to turn back to my car because my achilles was acting up. I got back to my car, stretched a little and decided to put on the new pair of sneakers I got for free that I had been contemplating running in or not. These were double-e's whereas the ones I was running in were Quad-E's. So my 10 miler turned into a 3 miler which turned into a 5 miler.

I headed out tonight in my new shoes, I was feeling great, no Achilles pain whatsoever. 2.5 Miles in an BAM!! I roll my ankle and fall onto my knee. I immediately thought my ankle was broken. I got dizzy and nauseous. I immediately limped to the curb and called Cathy to come pick me up. Luckily, I was just in da hood. So we drove home so I could dry off and throw some different clothes on. I was still a little nauseous.

If I hadnt thought it was broken, I would have probably just gotten it xrayed at work. So we headed off to the ER. They took some X-ray's. It wasnt fractures. Oddly enough, there was evidence of a tiny fracture that didnt heal properly. Dont know where that came from. So they splinted it and handed me a script for some strong pain meds. I had to go by the CVS to pick them up and some crutches. I cant really put any wait on my foot except a small part of my heel.

I am going to try and get an appointment with an ortho tomorrow and I already have a schedule appointment with my chiro on Friday. I am hoping my chiro will be able to help the healing along, especially with her laser.

Well my bad luck may be anothers good luck. I remembered I had seen someone on BT looking for a race number for Saturdays half marathon, so I sent them a message. Hopefully, I can sell it to him (for close to what I paid), since the race is sold out.

I dont know how long this will take to heal, but I guess on the bright side, it will give my achilles time to fully recover. If I see a regular ortho (versus a foot and ankle one) I am going to have them check out my shoulder. Hopefully, I can at least get back in the pool, and soon maybe even get on the bike on the trainer.

26 comments:

Stef said...

This is a bummer but I like your outlook on it. At least it happened now and not in the middle of the season.

Heal quickly, your plans to address it sound really solid.

Steph Bachman said...

I'm so sorry about your ankle!

Don't limp around on it! Go get some crutches (we have some you can borrow) so you don't end up on the couch for 2x as long. Pmail me if you need them. And, start more swimming so you can do the 5K swim with me in June. : )

Good of you to give your number to E. He is a nice guy. : )

D10 said...

Doesn't sound like fun. Glad it isn't broken. I am sure the time off will be a good rest for your body. Now, you will have time for your shoulder, achilles and ankle to heal up for next season.

Hope the ankle starts to feel better.

teacherwoman said...

Oh no, Kevin. I am sorry to hear this. I hope the healing process is fast and you will be back out there before you know it!

Xenia said...

Ouch! So sorry about your ankle. Hope you heal up quick.

Jess said...

Bummer, dude! Well, sit back with whatever good stuff they gave ya, and heal up!

ShirleyPerly said...

ARGHHHH! But very glad you had a cell phone with you (most guys I know don't carry one when running).

Hope you heal up fast. As Stef said, better now than in the midst of your racing season.

Lauren said...

:( That sucks about your ankle. Take it easy and stay off it. You'll be missed on Saturday!

Wes said...

Total bummer man!! Maybe next year we can do this one together!

An Athlete In Training said...

Bummer, sorry to hear about that! Hope recovery is quick!

Marcy said...

(((HUGS))) Kev! Dang it! What a bummer. I'm so sorry. But we know you ;-) Once you get healed up you'll be back at it like no ones bidness!

cindy said...

Sorry Kevin - I know this sucks.

Hey, when I broke my ankle a few years back, I was in one of those boots. I was ablel to take it off to bathe, etc..and many times wore it loose to where my foot wasn't properly in it. (as in, my foot was more relaxed and my toes should have been "up" more) Anyway, this resulted in my achilles healing tight. It's still tight. What I'm saying is be sure to keep your foot in the proper splint position so you don't have the problems I do now.
I'm sure won't - but just wanted to throw that out there :)

Jonathan Collins said...

Weird on the ankle. So not broken. What do you think the nausea stuff was about?

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Ouch! Take your time and heal up. I wonder if the achilles problem contributed to it? Either way, take care and you will be back stronger than ever next season.

Gotta Run said...

yikes about the ankle! Make sure you do what the doc says and have a cold beer while you recover.

You can sell race numbers??

skigator93 said...

I just linked to your blog after sending you an e-mail through BT. I am the guy who looking for a number.

My swim coach/swim training partner is a PA over at Resurgens. They are the greatest and have helped my wife and me both overcome numerous injuries. If you haven't already seen someone, I recommend them 100%. They are all about getting athletes "back in the game" as quickly as possible.

akshaye said...

That sucks man. I am glad it wasn't a fracture. Take care and let it heal.

J~Mom said...

Sorry to read about this. I hope you heal up quickly!!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

oh man!! that stinks. best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Heather said...

if you can't get it sold, I'll buy it at whatever you paid

sorry aboutyour ankle :(

SLB said...

Ouch that sucks, rest easy and repair strong

Erin Leigh said...

That really sucks. I am sorry that happened to you.

triguyjt said...

totally sucks,....good luck getting over this ..

Calyx Meredith said...

I am so, so, so sorry to hear you're dealing with more injury!! On the other hand, you impress the hell out of me by a) being a good patient and doing what the healers tell you to and b) immediately making plans to train as soon as possible in smart ways. Healing vibes from me to you!

Danielle said...

So sorry to hear about your ankle! Seems like there are several peeps rolling theirs lately!

sRod said...

Yikes! Hope it turns out ok!