Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Status Update

Thanks guys for all the kind words.

I saw the ortho doc on Wednesday. He confirmed I had a sprain and that it was a partial tear. He sounded very optimisitic. When Cathy mentioned Saturday's half marathon, the doctor said something like isnt their another half on thanksgiving. He expects me to be fully healed in 6 weeks. I have been on crutches for a week, and today I transitioned off them. As much as they were working my arms and core, they were just to darn annoying. My foot does not hurt when I put weight on it. He also gave me an "air cast" ankle brace as well as an exercise rubber band with instructions.

I have done some research and have read several articles. I have a rehab plan put together that includes the rubber band, as well as my wobble board. From what I read, as long as you can bear weight on it without pain, you need to start rehab asap. If you wait too long, your ankle will heal weaker then before. I am also getting the "laser" treatment at the chiro to help the healing.

My ankle does not hurt when I put weight on it. I have a small amount of pain if I put pressure on the outside of the foot, but otherwise it is good.

I want to get in the pool, maybe as early as tomorrow. By this weekend I plan on getting on the bike, on the trainer with low resistance.

I see the doctor in two more weeks. I am hoping to be able to start running after I see him.


I have been trying to plan out 2009

Here is what I have been looking at

2/14 Run the Reagan Half
3/7 Chattahoochee RR 10K
3/29 ING Full
6/21 Callaway Gardens Sprint
7/4 Peachtree RR 10K
7/? Chattanooga Oly
9/27? SC Half IM--Vengence will be mine
10/? Silver Comet Half
11/ Chickamagua Full
11/ Atlanta Half


There are a few possibilities, though unlikely depending how recovery goes and school goes

2/22 A1A Half/Full Marathon--Depends on the financials, the half would be more likely and would be instead of the Reagan

3/7 Snickers Albany marathon --Flat, but would have to do a 16 week plan over the 18, or could do it as a training run for ING

5/30 Rock n Roll Half IM-- I really should try to do 2 halfs next year, but with school and everything, this may not be possible. I would have to start training for this first week of january. This would mean training first through alot of cold weather for a stinking hot race

6/14 Westpoint oly - not likely only because callaway is a race for both cathy and I and is the next week

I also need to fit in several century rides in prep for IM 2010. I am leaning towards IMFL

There is always a very slight, though highly unlikely chance I may do the B2B full or the Great Floridian. I would have to start training around mayish, though I could probably bounce off my half training for the South Carolina half. Again, this is highly unlikely. I would have to be in tip top shape before then. Otherwise, I will wait as planned and go down to IMFL 09 to sign up for 2010

20 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Sounds like the doc is down with the running scene! And great to hear you may be healed in 6 weeks. I too am contemplating B2B or the Great Floridian in 2009. Neither will count for my 50 states quest but I'd like to get the iron monkey off my back.

Karen said...

Good news on your ankle! It does sound promising if the doc thinks you will be back in time for the Thanksgiving Marathon. Glad to her you are getting better :)

D10 said...

I like how the doctor was up on his race knowledge and didn't discourage you. Rehab and don't rush things. You have a busy schedule for '09 and a big event in '10. You'll want to be at the best you can be.

Makita said...

You're injured, too! I'm so sorry - but at least the Dr. had good news and is confidant you'll be ready for the Turkey Day race. Take care of yourself. :)

Wes said...

Well, the ankle kind of through a curve into your running plans, but at least you had a great tri season :-) Your plans for next year look good. Callaway is such a fun little race. I'm looking forward to getting back there for the third straight year.

cindy said...

I know what you mean about the crutches..I've had to use them before and they are no fun!

Looks like a great plan for next year :)

Marcy said...

Thanks for the update Kev! You sound so optimistic ;D Very cool! Here's to a speedy recovery my friend! I'm sure you'll be back at it soon enough ;-)

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Sounds like you got good advice for your ankle. If you do everything that was recommended, I'm sure you will be back at it in no time.

A lot of mileage in your 2009 calendar. Make sure you get enough recovery time built in so you can keep going strong the whole year.

Gotta Run said...

Way to research and apply all of the great info to rehab for a stronger recovery.

LOVE that you have been busy planning out next year. GREAT LIST!!!!

Xenia said...

Great news that the doc thinks you'll be healed by Thanksgiving! Good luck with everything.

Sherry said...

Aw, Kevin. I'm so sorry to learn about your sprain. That totally stinks! So many people I know are injured right now. I still can't even put a shoe on my foot; I have another friend who is nursing her knee. Is this always what happens as season comes to a close? Man!

Six weeks will fly by, though! You'll be amazed! My husband fractured 3 ribs, punctured his lung and lacerated his liver this past Spring and the docs still had him back on full-duty (he's a firefighter) in 8 weeks. The body is so amazing!

Your prelim. '09 schedule looks great! Looks like we're all starting to think about next year. Exciting!

Tat said...

I am sorry about your injury, but it will heal, I am sure of it!!!
Thank you for the kind words, Tat

Calyx Meredith said...

Oh I want everyone to do the B2B because it's close to me! :D Good luck with the rehab - it sounds like you've got it all worked out.

Jess said...

I've done A1A and can tell you that the course is flat and mostly along the beach, so that's good. I liked the race myself, but unfortunately, if you do decide on that one for 2009, I will be out of town that weekend. So you will miss me! Dangit.

Steve Stenzel said...

Dang. Good luck healing up! Play it smart!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Fully healed in 6 weeeks?1 That's not bad!!

Best wishes with that

And it's fun to plan for next season. :-)

Danielle said...

Decisions decisions!!! B2B is a flat ride, hills on the run, GF is hard, so I heard from peeps who did both. I think FL is a perfect first IM course, but of course, the other two are WAY cheaper, so take that into consideration too! Happy healing! 6 weeks really isn't that bad at all!

akshaye said...

Kevin.. I am glad to hear that you are recovering well. Good luck.. rest up!

Viv said...

Kevin, Take care of yourself and recover well. Rest up this year because busy times are ahead :-)

Duane said...

Hope you heal fast!