Saturday, October 4, 2008

Recovering well after SC Half

I am feeling much better no a week out from the SC Half. This morning I went to see a Chiropractor who is a member of our tri club and spoke at Thursday's club meeting. She did about an hour long exam and was nice enough to do an adjustment today, which she doesnt often do on the first visit. I am happy to say I am pain free right now. I will be back to see her next week. By then she will have been better able to analyze my tests and x-rays and have a more detailed treatment plan. I am hopeful this will produce amazing results.

Since the Half IM, I have swam once and run twice.

On Wednesday, I got into the pool for an easy 1000M swim. Overall it was good. My shoulder was sore and afterwards my back hurt.

Thursday, I met up with some folks from the tri club. Before the monthly meeting, there is always a group run (and usually a ride too except during the winter). My plan was to just see how I felt. I was really aware of what my HR was. My legs and back felt good, but my HR stayed high for the effort level. Any time my HR got over 170 I stopped and walked. I also walked the hills. The goal was to get out and loosen my legs out, but not to overdo it. I did 4.5 miles in 47:57 (10:39/mi) that is really slow for me, but necessary to fully recover.

This afternoon, I hopped on our new dreadmill to run while watching the UM-FSU game. Last week we got a good deal on an 08 model they were closing out. It has a built-in lcd video screen and lots of built in programs. Looks like I will be learning to love the dreadmill this winter. My only pet peeve about it is that it only shows mph and not min/mi. For now I will print out a chart, but I plan on getting the foot pod for my garmin so I can also upload my data to be able to analyze it. Overall, my run was alright. My legs/back felt great. Unfortunately, I did not eat like someone who was planning an afternoon run and I paid for it. also, I realized I cannot handle the fizziness of nuun on the dreadmill. The bouncing and the fizzies do not mix well. I may just need to mix it and leave the bottle open for awhile to let it fizzle out. My stomach was really gurgling throughout the urn which made me slow down and stop at times. My HR was staying down a little better then Thursday's run. I think I am recovering well, but wont push the pace too much until next week. I did 6 miles at a snails pace of 1:04:45 (10:47/mi).

Tomorrow I'll be on the trainer for an easy ride. Depending on my back, I will do somewhere between one to two hours.

This afternoon I signed up for the silver comet half marathon. This was my first half last year and I am hoping for a decent improvement over last years 2:13. Based on how my legs feel and the lack of pain, I should have a decent race. I am going to figure out what pace I would like to run it in and stick to that pace. I am thinking I may shoot for right around a 9 min mile which should be doable, since the course is flat, if I stick to that pace and not go out too fast.

The week after the Silver Comet Half Marathon, there is a 15 mile race at Stone Mountain. This will be a good hilly race to test my tired legs.

If that goes well, I have a plan put together to reach the atlanta full marathon on thanksgiving. My longest run will only be 18, but it should get me to the finish line. The only downside to this race is that the last 10K is all uphill.

Once I am fully recovered, I am going to do some HR/Threshold self testing. Next season, I really plan on actively integrating my HR into training levels. If I am going to get faster, I need to be smart about my training and focus on the proper levels of training intensity.

I also plan on adding some serious core training to my schedule. That combined with my chiropractic care should help to keep me injury free.

22 comments:

LBTEPA said...

Hey that sounds like a good plan for the 'off season' (not that a half and a marathon are an 'off season!). Glad your back is getting better.
Thanks for the get well wishes - I must have written confusingly, cos I AM better now - all I need to do is get FIT again!

D10 said...

I think you are playing things smart. Your training will definitely be more productive and your plan will help you stay injury free. Glad to hear the chiropractor helped with your back pain.

Your new treadmill sounds nice. When is the Silver comet half? You have busy fall schedule!

cindy said...

Glad you're recovering well, and it sounds like a great plan for the future.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Good recovery plans. And nice that you can fit a half marathon and marathon in there too!

Marcy said...

Wow Kev, you are on the ball! Very nice plans youhave there. The chiro sounds most excellent too. Hopefully it's all up from here ;-)

Tat said...

Wow! You are coming back strong. Thanksgiving day marathon? I will be there! Great recovery to you. TAT

Sarah said...

Awesome, so glad to hear that you aren't in pain anymore. A visit to the Chiro always gets me set. And I loved reading about the plan for the next few months. Core will do wonders. I'm planning on that this winter too!

SLB said...

I love my chirpractor! Good to see that you're keeping those goal posts moving!

Sherry said...

Glad that your bod is feeling better. I'm interested in learning more about the chiropractic work that you are having done, as I have some back issues myself.

Wow! What a schedule you have coming up! A 1/2 marry and a marry! Darn! :o) I think it's great that you are already focused on other things... perhaps that is what is key to beating the post-IM blues.

Wes said...

You're as bad as I am :-) Moving right from tri season into the running season. Got get'em Kevin!!!

Gotta Run said...

No sooner than one race is over the planning begins.....

I LOVE IT!!!! Keep it up Kevin.

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Nice job with the recovery. The race schedule sounds good leading up to the marathon, but make sure you don't try to 'race' all three. If you use the 15-miler as a recovery/mileage building run, then you should be able to recover enough to run the marathon. Just make sure to always listen to your body.

Steve Stenzel said...

Bouncing and fizzies are no good together.

J~Mom said...

I am glad that you are recovering well!! I am excited to see what the future holds for you!

The treadmill at our gym is the same way. It won't be long until you know the equivalents in min/mil.

Jess said...

Glad to hear you're recovering well! Good luck with "the plan"!

Stef said...

SO glad you are feeling better Kevin!

triguyjt said...

glad the chiro tweaked the back for yah....

you have a good plan it seems...good job....

Nitmos said...

Post race recovery is every bit as important as pre race training. Recover well. Relax. Plan. Re-engage!

Viv said...

I am glad you are recovering well and smartly! Way to set some goals for next year. You have been great to watch and inspiration for me to keep going.

akshaye said...

Hey.. when are you doing the Stone Mountain race? I live close by.. I'd love to come and watch!

Jaybuddy said...

a quick suggestion on nuun. I have used it with great success but definitly understand the "fizzys" you describe. What I do is make the drink about 15-20 minutes before I workout. Leave the top off the bottle to let the fizzies escape and you will be good to go.

I am a little jealous of your dreadmill. LCD Screen? that sounds awesome. Mine must be a ghetto dreadmill.

Best of luck!

Calyx Meredith said...

Glad the chiro is helping and that you're recovering - and boy do you have a lot of season left! A marathon? On Thanksgiving? Go boy!