Thursday, October 16, 2008

Quick Update

Not much new going on here. I have run several times, but have not been back on the bike or in the pool since South Carolina. I plan on getting back on the bike on Sunday, but wont get back into the pool until my shoulder is pain-free.

My running has been going better then expected. It has been slow, but I keep having to tell myself it hasnt even been three weeks yet. Tuesday was the first time I felt like some of my speed was coming back while keeping my heart rate down. I did a long slow, but pain-free, 8 on the dreadmill on sunday. I would walk a minute or two every half mile, because it seemed like I couldnt keep my HR under 170.

Tuesday, my legs felt great and I was actually able to keep it mostly under 170. Saturday I plan on running 10 miles. Next Saturday is the Silver Comet half. I really dont know what to expect yet. Last year this one was my first half. I finished in 2:13, but would have finished much faster if my hamstrings werent so darn tight.

If I am feeling good, I think I can easily PR and possibly even break 2 hours


If that goes well, and I still feel strong, I plan on attempting the Thanksgiving Marathon. I have a plan mapped out. I wont sign up until the very last possible minute to avoid losing any money or feeling like I have to run it.


My chiro has been doing amazing things for me. I told her my achilles had been bothering me since the SC 70.3 and she used this cold "laser" on my achilles on saturday and it didnt bother me at all until after yesterday's run and it only hurt a tiny bit. I have been icing it and she used the "laser" on it again last night. She has even been helping my super tight hips. I have an appointment scheduled for Friday so I can get an adjustment and "laser" treatment right before the half marathon.

I must go now so I can torture myself on the foam roller.

19 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Glad to hear the running is going well! :)

Erin Leigh said...

Isn't that laser amazing?? Glad you are feeling better and things are getting easier for you again!!

D10 said...

I never heard of the laser thing. Glad it is helping and glad you are feeling mostly pain free. Smart move taking some time off from the pool until the shoulder is better.

Calyx Meredith said...

Happy to hear you're recovering well! How cool would it be to go from injury to pain free to PR?! If anyone deserves that it's you - oh faithful roller man!!

cindy said...

Sounds like you're doing great, Kevin. Smart not to swim just yet...that shoulder will feel better soon.

Best of luck with the half!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Good to hear you are back to running. Something I've not done much of that I'm realizing is important, esp. having had a hamstring injury recently, is stretching. I used to be very flexible when training in the martial arts so I took my flexibility for granted. But now I notice that after a couple years of mainly just running, biking & swimming that I now have quite tight hamstrings (even before the hammy pull) and hip flexors. Need to do some yoga and the core work it usually involves would be good for me too.

Good luck with your half next weekend!

Jonathan Collins said...

Glad that Chiro is workout out for you.

Which IM are you thinking about doing?

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

It sounds like you are recovering well and smartly. Keep up the good work.

Marcy said...

Thanks for the update Kev! I've been wondering what's been going on with you ;-)

An Athlete In Training said...

Never heard of that laser therapy before. Crazy the things they can do with technology these days.

Hope recovery continues to go well for you

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Best wishes at the half. Glad you are feeling better. :-)

Wes said...

Excellent. Moving on to new things. Go for the sub-2 bro!! You can do it!!!

akshaye said...

I may be out of town for Thanksgiving but if I am here I will definitely do that one too.. glad the training is going well

Sherry said...

There you are! :o)

It's amazing how long it takes a body to recover after such intense training and then a very intense race. It sounds like you are doing everything just right.

Good luck on your upcoming half!

I've really gotta check out our local chiro after my next two races are over. I have more aches and pains going on right now than I have ever had at one time. My husband tells me that I shuffle around the house like an 80-year-old! LOL!

Danielle said...

We don't have the laser at my place (1st Choice!!) but Dr. Stone is awesome!

Frayed Laces said...

glad to hear things are on the up and up!

Nitmos said...

Unless someone tells you you can't, keep working towards the T-Day marathon!

J~Mom said...

Sounds great...well all except the foam roller part. ;>)

sRod said...

Recover well!