Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Well its a good thing we didnt drive to South Carolin

First a clarification. There is no race this weekend. We were going to drive the SC 70.3 course on Labor Day. We decided since we were staying overnight the saturday before the sunday race, we would instead ride the course on Saturday, the day before the race (27th)

It is a good thing we didnt, because yesterday my car overheated (with the car only having been run for about an hour) and we ended up having to have it towed. I am waiting to find out what is wrong. My hope is it is something minor.

So once we got home, I decided to still go out and do my scheduled tempo run. The plan was 10 warmup, 20 tempo, and 10 cooldown. Overall, the run went well. I was able to push myself all 20 minutes. While I was completely out of breath, I felt great otherwise. On a positive note, I found $22 on the run. At least all my luck wasnt bad yesterday

40 minutes 4.24 miles Avg 9:26 Pace (Avg during tempo about 8:30)

Your Questions Answered

Marcy- The toe is okay. Since it is my little toe, it doesnt ever really bother me during training.

Meredith - I read bicycling mag every month, and I have read Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance. Great book. Park tools also has a great website - http://parktool.com/repair/. The numbers equal the number of teeth on the smallest cog and the largest. The larger the bigger number, the easier it technically is going uphill. Cathy's training is kinda leveled off right now until it gets cooler. She is swimming several times a week and walk/running as well. It will be easier for us to ride together once I am done with my 70.3

UPDATE: It was the radiator hose. I also had been having acceleration issues and that was the vacuum hose. Not too bad under 200 all together with labor

19 comments:

Marcy said...

SHUT UP!!!! Dang you! How come all I ever find is condoms and dog poop laying on the side of the road :P

Glad to toe is alright ;D

Lily on the Road said...

Hope it's nothing too serious with your car!

Oh, luky you, $22, sweet...

Jess said...

$22?! That's awesome!

Wes said...

A little luck your way :-) I did some research on the 12-27 and some said you needed a bigger chain. Did you get a new chain as well? I'm thinking I won't need a 12-27 for flat as a pancake Florida, so I better not get one for SC either.

Steph Bachman said...

I'm so sorry about your car! Did you know that you can limp it along by driving with the heat on to bleed some of the heat from the engine? Hope it's nothing too expensive to fix!

Nitmos said...

Whew, lucky it was only a radiator hose. My mechanic told me my car needed a flux capacitor and it cost me nearly $4000 to replace it.

triguyjt said...

you found 22 bucks???

I think I found a dollar once...
and thats it.......

D10 said...

Glad there wasn't any major problems with the car. It is a good thing you guys didn't venture off to SC.

Tell Cathy to keep up the good work!

Erin Leigh said...

I can't believe you found $22!!

And yay on the car not being too much. Sad that anything under $200 is a relief.

Stef said...

$22, that is GREAT! Maybe I'll find some $$ tomorrow too! lol

Jarrett said...

Congrats on only being the radiator hose. When mine overheated, it was the whole radiator. And it wasn't $200; mine was $650. Ouch!

Calyx Meredith said...

So glad you weren't stranded in the middle of nowhere! Thank you for the bike tool link and the explanation. I love learning all this stuff. Tell Cathy "Good on her" for keeping up with the pool workouts.

Gotta Run said...

Scott car was sick this past week. Add an entire set of new tires.... grand total $1100.00. Now that hurt!!!!!

An Athlete In Training said...

Nice! A few more runs and that will pay for the radiator!

teacherwoman said...

Nice work on finding money along your path!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

glad you got the car issues all sorted out!

ShirleyPerly said...

YAY, for just hoses needing to be replaced! And how the heck did you find $22? Maybe I need to be looking harder when I run, LOL.

Steve Stenzel said...

Good luck with the car! I'm sure it's OK only because you found $22 on your run, so you must be lucky!...

;)

cindy said...

$22 bucks? Wow, that's pretty cool. I always find old toys like hot wheels or GI Joe appendages.