Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I've got gas!!!

It has been crazy here this last week in Georgia. I waited two hours this evening in line to get gas. When I went under half a tank this morning, I knew I was going to have to seek out gas today. After passing several stations, I found a BP with a tanker truck in the front. I pulled up and the lines didnt look too bad. First we had to wait for the tanker to finish filling the tanks. Then it turns out the front pump was broken on our line, so we had to wait for the 4 cars in front of us to use one pump instead of two. Then, it took almost 20 minutes per car to fill up because it was so dang slow. No I have to keep a close eye on things since we head for South Carolina on Saturday. I am hoping things will be better by this weekend.

So on Saturday, I did the local 10K. My plan really was to try and pace myself and see how my legs felt. The first half I felt pretty good. I went out a little fast in the first mile. I finished the first three miles in 25:06. Mile 4 was much hillier thus much slower. I still thought there was a chance to PR, but I really just wanted to stay steady. It seemed like the second half of the race was much more uphill then the first half. I hit 6 miles in 53:58. So my 2nd 3 miles were almost 1 minute per mile slower then the 1st 3. I sprinted to the finish and finished in 55:41. When I finished, I was a little disappointed. I had not used my inhaler before the race, so i felt my breathing was limiting me. But when I got home, I realized this was my fastest 10K race time in almost 2 years and like my 3rd or 4th fastest ever. I am thinking next year may be my year of speed and putting off my full iron until 2010. A real plus was I had no knee pain whatsoever.

Since I dont often get the chance to do one of the weekday group rides, I jumped on the opportunity to do the Monday night ride. Due to construction, the route was changed to one that was much hillier. I felt pretty good making it up the hills. Once I finished the 16 mile ride I went ahead and did a 10 minute transition run. I am feeling pretty good. I cannot wait for Sunday!!!

Then I can chill for a week or two and then I have to start thinking about the Silver Comet half, and Possibly the Half (or maybe run/walk the full if I am feeling up to it) and then an early 2009 marathon. I am thinking my tri season for 2009 will pretty much be the same as this year, but with the addition of some sprints and possibly an additional oly.

22 comments:

D10 said...

2 hours for gas..crazy. Nice job with the 10k. I like how you are looking forward to '09 being the year of speed!

3 more days!!!! You must be so excited. You are looking strong.

Gotta Run said...

Boy we are such planners!! I love it!!

NOW ROCK THE HALF IRONMAN THIS WEEKEND AND ENJOY!!!!

The gas thing freaks me out but if it gets too bad at least we have our bikes...right.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

What's up with the cas? That's a crazy wait.

Good job on the 10K - no knee pain is great news.

Time to rock the race!!

Wes said...

Well, I'm glad it wasn't intestinal gas :-)

I've been jumping into the gas stations when I can. I managed to fill up this morning at one of two stations within 10 miles that had gas. Hopefully, by Saturday, we'll be seeing more supply.

Excellent time on your 10K, bro! A little negative split training will help even out your effort.

Where are you guys staying in Greenwood? See ya this weekend!!

cindy said...

I'm happy you got gas! (never thought I'd say those words)

You are so ready for Sunday!!!

Marcy said...

I can only imagine how cra-zay the gas thing must have been. YIKES!

Considering all that you've been through with the toe and the shoulder and the knee, YOU DID AWESOME on that 10k! Very nice!

3 days homie! How exciting! Whoot!

Jess said...

What's going on with these gas shortages in some areas? I don't get it.

Nice job on the 10K!

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

We went through those kinds of gas lines a few years ago when the pipeline into Phoenix broke. Not fun at all. I hope you get through it soon.

Nice job with the 10k. Dude, this is the big weekend and you are going to rock it!

Jarrett said...

Those are some awesome times! Good job!

Stef said...

Sounds like you definitely needed some gas (lol). Wow though waiting in line that must have been weird.

ROCK YOUR RACE THIS WEEKEND!

Frayed Laces said...

Sounds like your training is progressing nicely---way to go!

ShirleyPerly said...

Man, 20 min is ridiculous. Not sure what's causing that as we have no problems like that down in Central FL.

Anyways ... great to hear no knee pain during your 10K. Good performance!!

Danni said...

HI Kevin!
I am heading to SC too (IF I can find gas that is) and thought it would be cool to hang out with some bloggers. Wes said you would be meeting with some peeps.
Email me @ dannikruse at gmail dot com so we can get in touch for this weekend!!!
It's going to be so much fun!

teacherwoman said...

That is so crazy to see that you guys are so low on gas. How much is gas down there?

Karen said...

Great job on the 10k and the gas purchase! 2 hours!!! WOW. I have been lucky filling up in the AM on the way to workout. Hopefully, it will be back to normal soon...

Nitmos said...

Nice 10k! And you got gas! A two fer.

Ryan said...

Wow, your time is here!

Are you feeling antsy yet? Tapering sux big time right!

Good luck and stay in your limits and you will do great.

Chris said...

Great JOb on the 10k!!

Unfortunately our gas supply will be getting tighter in the Southeast. We still have multiple refineries down in the gulf and the Colonial pipeline (and Plantation pipeline) are only shipping product out of the gulf (Pasedena TX & Baton Rouge LA) at about 50-60% capacity and with a lack of refined product for input at the origin. Many of the refineries that are down (due mostly to electrical outages) take anywhere from 5-7 days to come back online at anywhere close to 100% capacity. Hopefully by the end of next week we will see some relief in supply to the Southeast.

See you on Sunday! Hopefully I can get a chance to meet you before, during or after the event!

Lily on the Road said...

That is amazing about all the gas troubles...very scary!

GOOD LUCK with your very first Half Iron! Oh my gawd, have a GREAT TIME!!

Viv said...

The gas shortage in Atlanta is just about crazy.

You have done the work all for this weekend. I am so excited for you Kevin. GOOD LUCK!!

akshaye said...

Nice race bud.. I was just pitching about having to have waited for 45 minutes, seems like that's nothing compared to your wait though. Oh well..lets hope things get better

Brian said...

Kevin, good luck this weekend!

I can't wait to read your race report.

Rock on.