Monday, September 1, 2008

A Different kind of brick

So most of my plans for this weekend have changed. We decided not to drive to South Carolina today with gas prices likely to be going back up due to the hurricane. With the race on Sunday, we will get up there early enough on Saturday to scope the course.

On Saturday, I did run the full 13 miles. I tried to intentionally take them slow. The story for that run was my dang fuel belt. A while back, I said I needed to get a new one. Well I held out until after Saturdays run. I had it as tight as it could go, but it was still bouncing too much. I kept dropping bottles. Ugh! That also helped to slow me down. Saturday afternoon, I headed to Fleet Feet and bought a new amphipod fuel belt. Saturdays total: 13 miles 2:18:34 avg pace 10:39/mile.

As slow as I took it, I knew afterwards that doing the full brick might not be the best idea since it would not give me a true feel for how fully rested legs would feel on race day. So since my new cassette cam in on Saturday afternoon, I decided to install it and take my bike to Stone Mountain for a two hour ride. I pushed myself through the 5 mile super hilly loop. This was my first time doing Stone Mountain on my new bike. While I was still under 10 mph on the worst hills, with my new casette I was able to keep my rpms up so my legs felt fresh.
28.86 Miles 1:49:01
15.9mph
approx 3800 ft total ascent/descent

Once I was done with my ride, I decided to hike up to the top of stone mountain. I had never done it before, and it's not something Cathy has wanted to do. It climbs almost 1000 feet in the mile hike up the mountain. WIth all the rocks to step up to, it ended up being a great way to stretch my legs. I enjoyed the climb, and the great views from the top of the mountain.

Today will likely be an off day and its back to serious training tomorrow. It looks like I will do my big brick on Saturday this weekend.


Totals for August
Swim: 7800 Meters - Still dealing with nagging shoulder pain
Bike: 226.43 Miles
Run: 73.32 Miles

18 comments:

Gotta Run said...

Gas prices... don't even get me started.

Nice, solid numbers for August!!!!

You are almost there.....

Erin Leigh said...

LOL that you were going to do some serious working out. I thought you already were doing that with a 13 miler, etc...

Keep up the good work.

Oh and yay on a new fuel belt!!

Wes said...

Dude! Congrats on needing a new hydration belt!! LOL!!! That's a good problem to have!

That's a killer ride too. I might do Stone Mountain this weekend. I need to see what my schedule entails. I'm uber curious about this different cassette stuff. I assume you put yours on by yourself. Was it hard?

Great month bro!! You are going to have a great race at SC.

D10 said...

Fuel belt issues, I feel your pain. Hope the new one works better for you. Great job on all the workouts this month. The Stone Mountain ride and hike must have been challenging yet pretty.

Keep up all your hard work. It is going to pay off.

Karen said...

Dang! Who in the world hikes up Stone Mountain after a 2 hour ride around it???? Impressive!

cindy said...

Yep, my hubby's fuel belt is getting too lose, too. That's an awesome thing!!! Sorry is bugged you on your run though.

You are getting in some serious mileage in all areas. Great job! The hike sounds so nice.

Enjoy your day off :)

Steph Bachman said...

Sorry about your fuelbelt. Doug loves his Amphipod - it just bounces on me, though, so I have the Nathan hand-bottle.

That is an awesome brick. It is a really lovely hike up Stone Mtn. : )

For next weekend, Courtney and Amy P (from the NAMC club) are planning a brick at the Bud Plant - if you want to join in, you should go on BT and PM Courtney. Ha - check out all of the acronymns. ; )

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Nice balanced training for August.

And way to be flexible, yet productive with your training :)

teacherwoman said...

Your numbers for August look superb! You have had a busy weekend.

I hope your shoulder gets better soon.

Marcy said...

GAH Fuel Belts. Stupid things. I swear I'll never get mine right.

How's the toe holding up? I see the shoulder pain but no news is good news on the toe (I assume)?

Xenia said...

Damn, that's one hardcore day! Good job getting it all in. You're making me feel bad about not getting in a hike while in the states. Don't worry, I'll get over it. :)

Stef said...

Great numbers for August! Sounds like you are really gearing up well for the race. Yay on the 12/27 cassette too. I have a 12/25 but sometimes wish I had a 27 for the hills around here. Not sure what amount of difference it would make . . .

Sherry said...

Glad that new casette is working for ya! it's so difficult for me to imagine actually 'riding' hills. The only hills I ever see are the ones that I create for myself in spin class! LOL!

Your hike sounds glorious! Darn I need to get out of this flat state!

Calyx Meredith said...

Great training numbers. I love how you toss in changing the cassette! How do you know how to do all that stuff? Cleaning my chain was a huge hairy deal - I can't imagine replacing pieces and parts myself! And I don't even know what those numbers mean or what number cassette my bike has! Arrrgh - you keep helping me learn how much I have yet to learn!! Hey, how's Cathy's training going?

ShirleyPerly said...

Ooh, that hike sounds nice! Bring a camera next time :-)

triguyjt said...

cool that the new cassette made such a difference....

good lucking getting the comfortable feeling with the new fuel belt

Jess said...

Hope the race will still be on this upcoming weekend! Hanna looks like it might go right through that area!

Mendy said...

That's GREAT numbers for the month! congrats.

Hope you have a great race!! Which one are you doing in SC? David is doing Hartsville this weekend. Didn't know if you were doing one on the coast or not.