Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A whole lotta nothing going on

It seems like there must be a bug going around the triathlon/runner blogger community. I am its latest victim. I really have nothing much to say.

I swam Monday evening. I felt great during the swim. My shoulder only bothered me during the kick sets if I extended my arms all the way out. Tuesday, I had just a little pain. At this point, I am going back full swing and am going to ice it and take alieve as needed. I just need to make it through SC 1/2 and then I can lay off the swimming for awhile. I was glad when I got home and looked at my results that my times for my repeat 100 sprints were right in line with previous times. I also felt like the new stroke (high elbow) is definitely a good thing to work on. Now I just need to focus on doing it all the time.

Tuesday morning I was up at 4AM to do run intervals. The funny thing was when I looked at it I was like, Oh great, I get a whole minute to recover instead of 30 seconds. Well I neglected to consider that the sprints would now be 1 minute versus 30 seconds. The first four or five went great, but the second have felt sluggish. Once I looked through my log, I was like DUH you just doubled your sprint interval.

This morning, again I was up at 4AM, except I chose to go back to bed!! For some reason I cant seem to get my butt out of bed in the AM on ride days. So what I may do is make tomorrow AM a brick.Get up at 4, force my butt out of bed and get on the bike, which has been on the trainer since last night.

Since I dont really have much going on here till this weekend, Id thought Id leave you with a photo.

Have you peeps seen this picture of the USA Olympic Cyclists looking like Hannibal Lecter? Lets hope the smog clears before the events start. Definitely not optimal racing conditions


15 comments:

Jarrett said...

The mask looks awful. I can't imagine any type of Olympic Records being set while having to breathe through one of those.

Here's another fact about the conditions at the Olympics - the equestrian events will be held in Taiwan, because there wasn't a location in Beijing that was disease-free enough for serious riders to bring their very expensive, very prized horses. If it's not clean enough for horses, how bad are the conditions for the human athletes.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

The fact that you can EVER get up at 4am is amazing. I think I need to set my alarm at 4am for my race on Saturday. Uggggggggh

D10 said...

I can't wait for the fall (cooler temps) so I can sleep in a little bit.

I am like you with not much to write about. Maybe as our events get closer we'll have more to say.

Great job with the 4am wake up calls.

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

That mask makes me sick! I actually have a friend who is competeing in the Olympics over in China and he said people are just over re-acting and it's not NEAR as bad as they are making it out to be. We will see because it's a hot topic!

I think 4 am is considered PAST the "butt crack of stupid"...you rock!

Jess said...

Those cyclists got a lot of flak for wearing the masks into the city. They issued a public apology for it. I don't see why they should apologize. The fact is that Bejing is one of the most polluted cities int he world and the air quality is terrible.

Marcy said...

I was going to say the same thing as Jess. What's the big deal? It's not like it's a secret that Bejing's air quality is crappy. Maybe I'm being insensitive but I don't see the deal-e-o. If it were vice versa (other peeps coming here and doing it because we had those conditions) it wouldn't bother me. Whatev . . . you can't please everyone LOL

Gotta Run said...

Hope the am ride/brick worked out. It takes major drive to get out of bed that early in the morning..... and you have it!!!

Stef said...

Yeah I'm feeling pretty blah again as far as writing goes. So much so I can't even think of a good comment!

Except that Katie's observation is interesting that folks are over reacting over in Beijing. I wondered if there may be an element of that but haven't read anything on it.

Not to discount the horrible pollution problem they do have . . . there are always two sides to every story though.

Nitmos said...

She looks real happy to be at the Olympics. Real happy.

ShirleyPerly said...

Well, the media certainly does love to overplay things. Earlier this year there was similar negative publicity about the VOG (volcano smog) in Kona. I could certainly see it but barely noticed any difference in my performance. Of course, I'm no elite athlete or someone who has respiratory problems.

Great that you're back to swimming!

teacherwoman said...

I hear Bejing was offended by their masks... I don't blame them for wearing them though!

I remember you posting that swim video, watched it, and thought more about my form and high elbows when I was swimming yesterday. However, it feels as if I struggle with my left elbow versus my right... it just feels like I can't get it as high as my right. I wonder what the dealio is!

Erin Leigh said...

They were offended but yet some people that live there wear them. If your body is what you need to perform then you take care it the best way that you can. I don't blame them at all.

And dude, 4am is just nuts. You are FOCUSED!! Good for you.

Lily on the Road said...

Check out any picture from China, Beijing in particular, the chinese wear masks!!

And Jarrett you are correct, there is no way I'd want my Olympic Horse breathing that crap....

cindy said...

wow...what a picture. It's so weird how polluted it looks over there! Scary for the athletes.

Sherry said...

Hannibal Lecter! Hee-hee! Hadn't thought about that when I watched the news clips, but now that you mention it.... LOL!

You really rock with your training program... inspirational!