Friday, August 8, 2008

Surprise addition to the family

When I woke up this morning, I had no idea I would be adding a new member to my household. When I got to work and checked my email I found out my LBS was having a massive sale, plus they were offering no interest for a year. So Cathy and I headed down there after work to see what they had. I told the guy what I was looking for: base model tri bike with tri geometry and aero bar end shifters. He plugged away at the computer for a minute and then figured out what he had in stock. I guess they must be starting to clear out their 2008 stock. He brought down a Felt S32 She was exactly what I was looking for. She was marked down by 10%, plus I am going back on Sunday with my 90s schwinn tempo with down tube shifters that I paid like 50 for and getting another 10% off for the trade. I spent about an hour getting an initial fitting. Because this wasnt planned, I didnt have my shoes/pedals/shorts, I will have to get fitted more specifically on Sunday.



It is definitely going to be a big change riding on this bike. My road bike, which I have always known was a little big for me, is a 60cm, where this is a 56. Its going to be such a difference riding Aero and shifting aero all the time. I cant wait to get her out for a long ride.

I was so surprised Cathy said alright to buying the bike. I owe her big time now. I can see the honey-do list growing by the minute. She has been so supportive of me since day one. On Sunday, I will be there sherpa'ing for her as she does her second tri, the Acworth Women's Sprint Tri. She is a little nervous, but I am sure she will do fine.

On Thursday, I did get up and do a brick. I did 30 miles on the bike in about 80 minutes followed by 3 miles in just under 30 minutes. My legs felt really strong on the run. I cant wait to do my first brick on the new bike. This morning I chose to sleep in and I was going to get in the pool, but that changed when we bought the bike. Tomorrow, I am up at 4AM (yet again) for a long run. I am going to use this run to judge where my running endurance stands right now and if there is any chance of doing the marathon in December. The good thing about our group runs is that I have the flexibility to adjust my route plans on the fly. I will do the pre-run 5 mileer and then I can do either the 6/8/10 miler depending how my legs feel

25 comments:

Stef said...

WOW Kevin this is wonderful. Congratulations!

Please give Cathy my best for her race this weekend. Ask her to write a guest race report!

:-)

Sarah said...

Nice!! She is very pretty, can't wait to hear her name!! That rocks!

Jess said...

Oh, shiny!

teacherwoman said...

Love the new bike! :) that is sooo cool!

ShirleyPerly said...

COOL!!!

Congrats on the new addition to the family. Good luck to Cathy this weekend!

Wes said...

Purty, purty! There will be no stopping you now!!!

Kellye Mills said...

Oh... She's beautiful!! Congratulations!!

Chris said...

Very cOOl! What nice surprise for sure!

Sometimes spouses are SO cool! ;-)(just kidding honey:-0 )

Congrats!!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

WoooHoo. And all of this was unexpected. It's like Christmas morning!!

cindy said...

...major bike envy going on over here!!

Lily on the Road said...

SWWWWEEEEETTTTT!

triguyjt said...

you are blessed to have cathy..

and that is a sweet ride....

beeeyooootiiiifulll

make sure you send your cathy some flowers...

and good luck to her on the second tri....thats cool

triguyjt said...

you are blessed to have cathy..

and that is a sweet ride....

beeeyooootiiiifulll

make sure you send your cathy some flowers...

and good luck to her on the second tri....thats cool

D10 said...

Sweet ride! I hope she brings you lots of joy.

You'll have to do something nice for Cathy.

Mendy said...

Luvs the bike! I have a red Felt too (different model of course), but luv her! Congrats!

Hope you have a great long run this weekend!

Karen said...

AWESOME! I am jealous. Good luck to Cathy!

PreFan1982 said...

Always nice to get a new toy-I mean member of the family!!

Erin Leigh said...

Um, wow!!!! I called my husband over to see the pics. Congrats!!

Jarrett said...

She's a beauty! You owe your wife big time now!

Gotta Run said...

This will open up an entire new level of training for you. How exciting!!!!!!

LBTEPA said...

Ooooooooh!
Good luck to Cathy for her tri!

Viv said...

She is a beauty I hope you and her have many fast fun rides together!!

Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry said...

Kevin.... sweeeeeeeeeet!! I am so happy for you! She's a beauty!

I think the road bike that I'm on may be too big for me as well. I'm just under 5'6" and I'm riding a 51" right now. I asked the dealer where I'm getting my Cervelo to bring in a 51" AND a 48" for me to try out.

Congrats again!!!

J~Mom said...

WOOT WOOOOOOO!!! Congratulations!!