Thursday, August 28, 2008

Less then a month? No Way!!

I cant believe the South Carolina is only a month away!! It feels like only yesterday I was think about doing this race. I am so stoked, though a little nervous. I have had lingering aches and pains. They might slow me down, but they will not stop me. The thing that bothers me most is still my shoulder. Swimming is my strongest point. I really want to finish my swim in under 30 minutes. Based on my Chattanooga time, that shouldn't be a problem. I did that race in 24:10 which equals out to 1:37 per 100 meters, which would mean about 31 minutes for 1.2 miles. But with my shoulder and not swimming as much, I wonder how much efficiency I have lost in the last month. I am not worried about the pain too much, as most of the pain happens at home after I swim. My broken toe is healing. It rarely hurts, and it is usually not during training. The one thing I think could slow me down on the run might be my knee. I have had a little recurring pes bursitis-ish knee pain. During my last few runs, my knee has begun to slightly act up after 5 miles or so, but Saturday's 10 miler and Sunday's brick wasnt too bad. This weekend will be a real test. It is my plan to run 13 miles on Saturday and then do my longest brick eva. I am planning on doing 50-60 miles on the bike and then run about 90 minutes. My legs felt pretty good during last weeks brick so I am hoping for the same this week.

Once I get through this race, there are a few more things I may or may not do depending how I feel. I really want to do the Silver Comet 1/2 marathon on October 25th. This is a super flat 1/2 and it was my first. One of my goals is to break 2 hrs in a half marathon. I did that race last year in 2:13. That was with a bunch of walking in the second half so 2 hrs should be doable if I have recovered. I also want to ride part the 45 mile option of the Sawnee Mountain Century on October 18th. This ride is right in my backyard. I literally can ride about 1-2 mies to the start. There is no way I would do the century this year as it has a Cat 2.5 climb with a total of like 2000 feet of climbing. The 45 mile has some decent climbing, but nothing too bad. Then, I may do the Titan/Warrior Oconee Challenge 15K Trail Run. I have wanted to do a trail race, and several of my running club peeps are doing this one.

Then there is Thanksgiving. Do I do the half? or maybe the Full? Only time will tell. I am not going to rush everything after South Carolina. If I am feeling good, I may try to ramp up over two months and do the marathon. We will see.


This weeks training has been ok. this is a recovery week (until this weekend),

Monday: Swim 2000M Main set was 6*100 easy 6*100 sprint
Tuesday:off
Wed: AM 60 min trainer "spin class" ride. I rode with my uusual spin class music and tried to match my pace to the music. I felt really sluggish.
Wed PM:Swim 1600 Main set 4*200. I felt really sluggish doing the 200s. my average was 6 seconds slower then a month ago when I did 5*200
Thurs: 38 Minute tempo run 4.13 miles avg pace 9:12- If I had not gotten nauseous, this run would have been spectacular. I warmed up with a mile at 9:15 pace. I stopped a sec and stretched and took off for what would be a 18 minute tempo run. The firs mile was great. I kept looking down at my watch and seeing sub 8 min pace. I ended up coming in at 8:14 (OMG!), I slowed down to take a big gulp from my fuel belt, but ended up nauseous. I spent the next half mile stopping several times. I still managed to finish that mile in 9:23. Once the nausea was gone, I was back running low 8. Once I was done with my 18 min tempo, I cooled down for 10 minutes. The whole run felt great.

On Monday, Cathy and I are going to take a short road trip to scout out the SC 1/2 course in Ninety Six, SC. I am going to try and take pictures, or maybe even video of the bike course. I have ordered a new 12-27 cassette for my new bike and hope to have it in this weekend. I will install it after this weekends long brick. That should be a big change from my 11-23. Even if it doesnt make me much quicker up the hills, it will at least keep my legs fresh by being able to spin at a higher cadence

14 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

South Carolina is only a month away and you're already planning your next races...I love that!

Heather said...

ooh Sawnee Mountain challenge.

I did the 44 mile option last year and it whooped my flat-land-only riding arse. And I mean whooped.

D10 said...

It is so exciting when the events we have been training for are in sight. You are going to do great. Just keep on taking care of your body, icing, resting, etc.. and you will be fine.

Trail runs are so much fun and very different than running on the roads, you should definitely do that one. Have a great weekend checking out SC.

Jess said...

Enjoy the short road trip!

Lily on the Road said...

you've got a full calendar happening...good for you!

Have a great time in SC.

Marcy said...

Time sure does fly, doesn't it? Alright!

Wes said...

I love your enthusiasm. South Carolina is your A race. Every race course is different, and in this case, including the water. Focus on doing your best and working the process to its fullest, and let time fall where it may.

Have a great trip to Ninety-Six. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again there :-)

Viv said...

I can't believe less then a month either. i am excited for you so I can imagine how you are feeling. Have a hard training weekend. I hope you two have a nice weekend investigating that race course :-)

J~Mom said...

I know the feeling!! I can't believe all of my races happen in the next 3 months...one after the other...it's crazy! Have a great weekend!

SUB6 said...

First time i have read your blog ... will be following your progress. Not that I'm laughing at your injuries but it made me smile as you were reeling off your bad shoulder and then your broken toe and your dodgy knee .... thought the next line was going to be "my broken leg is causing a bit of grief but I'll make it through the run" ...

You're a FAST swimmer ... do you come from a swimming background? That must get you off to a good start in most tris and put you up with the leaders???

Good luck with the rest of your training. Hope the shoulder/toe/knee/broken leg heal quickly :)

Calyx Meredith said...

Almost there! Have fun scoping out the course and thanks for sharing your goals. You are so good at putting those out there and reaching hard.

LBTEPA said...

That's so soon - and you are so prepared with all your hard work, so exciting!

Sherry said...

Wow! Only 1 month! Holy smokes, the time is flying! I'm so excited for you. Remember, I'd bet about 90% of the other athletes are going to race IMSC with some aches and pains, so you won't be alone out there. :o)

ShirleyPerly said...

Great job on that tempo run! Hope that knee pain goes away, though. Sounds like you've got a lot of fun things to be looking forward to in the Fall after SC!