Sunday, August 17, 2008

It IS all about the bike

I dont care what Lance says, for me it is all about the bike. I went out with several peeps from my tri club and did a 65 miler on the silver comet. Compared to My last 65 miler this one when a thousand times better. I never bonked. I felt strong the whole time. I nailed my nutrition. I never had to stop and stretch.

I had two minor aches I need to work on. My lower back bothered me off and on. I need to work on my core strength to address this. My other problem was that my achilles was bothering me. I believe this has to do with the angle of my foot when I pedal. I need to work on flattening out my foot instead of my toes pointing down.

We headed out at about 7:30 AM. We all planned on a 65 miler. For the first half, I pretty much stayed with the group. At some point, I decided to pick it up. As I got to 32 miles, I decided to slow down because I wanted to turn around at the same spot as the rest of the group. We stopped at right around 32.5 miles. My plan was to take it easy and see how the bike felt for the first half. On the second half I wanted to open her up and see what me/the bike had in us. I had thoughts of negative splitting the ride, but there was no way that was going to happen. I picked it up and tried to go faster yet controlled. While the first half was probably about zone 2 (average hr about 130) I let my HR creep up to a controlled zone 3 (about 160 average)

Here is the breakdown of the two halves (I forgot to hit the lap button until about a minute after turning around

1: 32.99 miles 1:50:56 17.8 mph Avg HR 130
2: 32.73 miles 1:52:52 17.4 mph Avg HR 160
T: 65.72 miles 3:43:49 17.6 mph Avg HR 147

Last Time
68.84 miles 4:22:10 15.8 mph Avg HR 152

Definitely a big difference. This gives me hope that I may be able to break 6 hours in my half iron in September. In order to make the hills a little easier, I will be switching out my cassette from a 11-23 to either a Shimano Ultegra 12-27 or a SRAM 11-28. This will help so much. I wont likely change it until I start to taper. I want to continue to work with the tougher combination and then make it easier come race day. I figure I will put it on about 2 weeks before the race so I have several test runs before the race.

Right now here is what I am thinking

Swim: 30 minutes (This is where I am obviously strongest)

T1: 3 Minutes (Maybe quicker)

Bike: 3 hours (This is the biggest question mark. I know the course is rolling, but with my new bike and the correct gearing, I should be able to break 3 hours that is an avg of 18.7 mph)

T2:2 Minutes (probably quicker)

Run: 2 hr 15 minutes (this would be an average about 10 minute miles which should be doable)

Total 5 hr 50 minutes

I may revise these plans as we get closer to race day. I feel pretty good I can break 30 minutes on the swim. This would be 1:30 per 100, only slightly faster then Chattanooga. I plan on doing several 1.2 mile time trials to work myself into feeling out that 1:30 pace.

For the bike and run, I plan on doing a long race simulating brick on labor day. I havent decided on a course yet, but my plan is to do a 56+ mile ride followed by about a 6 to 10 mile run

I am going to keep alternating long rides with stone mountain hilly ride bricks.

As far as my injury goes, my toe feels ok. It only hurts occasionally. I dont think it really affects my running. I have really worked on landing midfoot, thus there is little to no weight place on my little toe. I think my knee pain had more to do with last Saturday's 15 miler. The last time I had an overuse injury on my knee, it was at 14 miles. After riding on Monday and running on Tuesday, I didnt get any other training in this week. This was due to several reasons, but I made sure not to run. I will try to ease back into running this week. I have scrapped my plans for a fall marathon. From now until I begin to taper, I am going to focus on my 13 mile run. I have decided to alternate normal LSD efforts with some tempo/pickup efforts. I want to work on picking up my 1/2 marathon pace. About a month after my half IM, I am still planning on doing the Silver Comet half marathon. Last year, as my first half, I did it in 2:13. This year I want to go under 2 hours.

Now that school is back in and I am taking 3 online upper level courses, I will have to cut back on my blogging time. I will continue to post, and continue to respond as much as I can, but I dont expect to be able to post on a daily basis.

Hope everyone had a great weekend

27 comments:

Steph Bachman said...

Very nice bike, Kevin. I just got a bike fit from Curtis (king of all bikes from BT). If you want to get a fit, let me know and I'll send you the info.

You could always do the Kiawah marathon in Dec with Doug and me (and the guys). I'm probably going to avg over 10 min per mile - it's just a finish for me this year.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Sounds like you've worked out your plans for the bike and WOW what an improvement over last time. NICE!!

Brian said...

Those damn folks at Felt, 11-23 just who the heck to they think we are. I have an 11-23 and many times I've thought about an 12-27, (I mostly think of it when I'm suffering on the hills).

Good luck the the toe!

Jess said...

Great job on the bike ride, and those look like very achievable race times!

Viv said...

Great bike Kev! I think your goal times are completely attainable! You lost me at the cassette talk. I wonder what I gots. You sound like some super busy times are coming. Hang tough!!

Erin Leigh said...

All this goal talk has me excited for you. Sounds like you have a great plan.

Good luck with the courses. I know some of the online ones can be an absolute nightmare!!

D10 said...

Kevin, you are doing such a great job. Your improvements are amazing. Keep working hard. Good luck with your classes. I know what a drain they can be.

Marcy said...

Wow Kev awesome job!! I'm glad to hear that the toe is feeling alright :-)

cindy said...

Nice bike, Kevin!!

Sounds like a good plan not doing the full marathon yet...now you can focus on tearing it up in the half!!

An Athlete In Training said...

Man, nice ride! Sounds like you'll be staying busy between now and your race with all that training for the 1/2!

Wes said...

Very nice! You are getting stronger every day!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Great to hear how well the bike is working out for you! Indeed, I saw some incredible improvements going from my mtn bike (which I had outfitted with aerobars and slicks for long rides and racing dus and a tri) to my tri bike. Best decision I ever made.

Nice 1/2 iron goals!

Isela: Purling Sprite said...

The new bike seems to have done a great job but you do know that it is you who has made all the diffence...right?!? It is all in you!
Wonderful improvement!

triguyjt said...

super progress on the bike...kev.... very good. i think you can sub 6 on the half iron....seems like the bike course does not have any killer hills....just rollers...so...you can do it...

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Awesome training Kevin! I can't get over the major changes with your bike mph. Yes, some of it could be the bike BUT I think you are just getting super fit!

Nitmos said...

Nice focused goal: Kill that half mary time!

Gotta Run said...

Cut back on blogging..... NO!!! :)

Love it when a workout rocks!!

Xenia said...

Glad to hear you are getting better.

I wish I were as disciplined as you about cutting back on the blogging. I really need to do that and soon. But it's just so much fun keeping up with you all. :)

Sarah said...

Awesome ride! Hooray! I think I have a 12-27 and it seems to help me with hills. Well, to a point, and then I just run out of gears ;)

J~Mom said...

Looks like you have a fantastic plan!! Great job with the biking!!

Stef said...

Thanks for the warning that you may be posting less frequently. That seems to be happening to me also.

NICE goals you are going to do really well. I'm excited for your first half!

Lily on the Road said...

Sounds like the new bike is working out really well,

Good luck with your classes..

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice ride!! Yeah, my lower back gets sore on long ride too. It has little "tweaks" now and then.

And it sounds like you have a plan for the half IM!

RunnerGirl said...

Great job on the bike ride!

Calyx Meredith said...

I'm finally getting the time to catch up only to find out you're gearing up and going to have to post less! Rats. On the other hand - good luck with the classes. Your training is ROCKING! Look at how strong and fast you've gotten. I hear that part of it is the new ride, but I think most of it is just you sticking to your plan. Can't wait to hear how your race goes as a result. And speaking of races - pass on my congrats to the wife for her great race. Y'all are awesome!

Sherry said...

Kevin, you rock! You always inspire me... and I really needed some inspiration this morning. Awesome bike and great goals! I've been a little lax in the goal department this year; maybe I can set some realistic time goals next year when I have a bit more experience under my belt. :o)

Keep up the great work! I can't believe school is back in session already! Wasn't it just May?? Geesh!!! How come when we were kids the summer seemed to drag on forever??

Lauren said...

Nice bike btw - i'm jealous.