Sunday, August 24, 2008

Has it really been a week already?

Wow I can believe its been a week since I have made a post. While it has been a busy week, unfortunately my training has been hit and miss. I havent had a training week where I got all my training in the last month since Chattanooga.

In the last week, I have swam once, rode once, ran once and today I did a brick

I swam on Monday. I did a total of 2100 meters. The main set was 7*100 Easy and 6*100 Lactate intervals. My swim was decent, but not as fast as I have been. After the swim, my shoulder bothered me the rest of the week.

I took Tuesday off

Wednesday I was up at 3:45 so I could I could ride for an hour. I had to leave for work before 6AM, so this was the only way to get my ride in that morning. I had been planning to swim that evening, but skipped out on it. Wednesday's trainer ride was 18.74 miles in an hour

Thursday evening, I went out for a run after work. Thanks to the effects of Fay, it was nice and cool for the run. Unfortunately, I hadnt stretched or used the roller in over a week so my legs were tight and my knee bothered my by mile 5.

Friday I was tired, because I had stayed up past midnight to watch the men's beach volleyball finals on Thursday night. I came home and skipped my scheduled swim.

Up Saturday was my regular group long run, except we would be meeting somewhere else to run. I thought I knew exactly where I was going, but as always seems to be the case when I meet someone or somewhere outside the normal arrangements, I ended up nearly missing the run. We were going to be running at Riverside Park in Roswell (GA). I arrived at the parking lot early. We were supposed to meet up at about 6:30. I waited and waited, but saw noone. Just before 7, I saw 3 ladies from my group running. I stopped them, and found out. I was at the WRONG parking lot!! Since it was dark, I didnt notice the bottom of the sign where it said overflow parking. SO I moved my car, headed out with them, but was soon way ahead of them. I was glad I took my I-Pod. All in all the run was good. I had spent almost two hours on the roller on Friday night so my legs feel a little more loose. I really liked the run, because it was almost all flat, and ran along the river for several miles. There was one Near- incident while I was running. I was on my second gel and I was running and trying to suck down the gel. Well I managed to nearly choke on it as part of it went down the wrong hole!! Yuck!! It took me nearly 5 minutes to truly recover from that. Total: 10 miles in 1:40 for a pace of 10:05

Up today was a brick. Since I wanted to sleep in, and I wasn't sure how the weather would be, I decided to do my ride on the trainer. I did two hours on the bike followed by an hour run. The ride felt so-so. I think I made my gatorade too strong. Also, Ive realized I dont like the "Ice" flavor of Gatorade. I am definitely going back to the fruit punch. I also need to adjust the cleats on my cycling shoes. I bought a new pair of tri shoes and the cleats that came with my new peddles dont have enough float, so my knees were moving outward too much. I just didnt seem to have enough oomph in my legs to stay at a decent speed. The run, however, went great. Its weird that my legs seem to feel better off the bike then they do fresh starting out on a run. I was really surprised how good they felt. The tri bike helps, plus I am definitely getting stronger. I did 29.69 miles in 2 hours and ran 6 miles in 60 minutes and 21 seconds for an average pace of 10:03. My run pace was only a couple seconds slower then my race pace at the Chattanooga Oly.

This week is going to be a big one for me. I am hoping to get a OWS in this weekend and do the full 1.2 miles. If I dont, I will at least do a time trial in the pool. On labor day, I am hoping to do a race simulation brick: 50-60 mile ride followed by a 90 minute to 2 hour run. The rest of the week, I need to focus on getting all my training in.

On another note, I picked up a book on trigger point therapy I once saw Marcy mention. I also picked up a hard rubber childrens bouncy ball just smaller then my fist. In addition to using the roller on Friday, I did some TP therapy on my hips and shoulders. My shoulder today feels the best it has all week. It is amazing how this stuff works. Unfortunately, it can be super painfull. Apparently if it doesnt hurt, its not working. Ouch! No pain, no gain

18 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Up at 345 am?!?! You are crazy! Dedicated I guess! :) nice work!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

that trigger point therapy is much like the evil foam roller, it seems. Hurts like a son-of-a-gun while you're doing it, but feels way better afterwards. one of those truly no pain no gain situations.

Calyx Meredith said...

ANOTHER painful thing I didn't know about and am now going to have to try?! Grrrr. Still, it's hard to stay grouchy with you when my ITB thanks you for talking us into the EFR =(Evil Foam Roller). Sounds like you're working it all in pretty well even with how much you've got going on. Keep it up man!

J~Mom said...

I agree about the trigger point therapy...can be painful but oh so worth it in the end! Keep up the great work!

Jess said...

Yeah, it hurts, but it's in a good way. Does that make me sound like a masochist?

Lily on the Road said...

I've heard about it, read about but have yet to try Trigger point, and what they heck are you doing getting up at 3:45 to run, whoot, that's dedication!

An Athlete In Training said...

3:45 am is quite intense. More power to you for being able to get up that early!

Isela: Purling Sprite said...

3:45am? Wow, that is being dedicated. Your exercise routine is inspiring!

ShirleyPerly said...

Oh, I hope Fay left you some rain as I recall you saying how dry it was up there. I can't believe how early you're getting up. I'm a late night person and love to start doing things around 10pm. Way to keep the shoulder and knee in check.

cindy said...

Good job sticking with things during a tougher week. Hope this week is easier for you :)

Wes said...

You are ready for the half. Don't sell yourself short though. Stick to the training and you'll be that much better prepared.

Marcy said...

Dude you are the MAN!! Dang I can't believe you got up at 3:45! WHoot!

Ooohhhh love the pain! Love it! It totally stinks but it works.

Nitmos said...

It's a busy, busy, busy time of the year. Press on. Don't look back.

Stef said...

Make sure you get enough rest as the half gets closer! Not to diminish your 3:45am accomplishment . . . that is Krazy (in a good way -- you have such motivation).

I haven't tried TP therapy but glad to hear it works if I ever need to.

Hope your classes and work are going well!

Erin Leigh said...

Why is it that staying up til 3:45 doesn't sound strange at all but getting up at 3:45???

Good for you though. Glad the TPT is working out.

D10 said...

I'm going to have to check out books on trigger points. Good luck on the Brick this weekend, I am sure you'll do great. Glad to hear the shoulder is feeling good. Hope school is going well.

Viv said...

to stay dedicated to the workouts with mid night workouts :-)
Hope the OWS goes through for you, and the shoulder holds out.

David said...

Psst: 3:45 is not the mornig. It's still the middle of the night.

That's dedication! Good for you. And I'm glad you took one of Marcy's wholesome suggestions, 'cause she has some that aren't so appropriate sometimes.

Keep it up!