Friday, July 4, 2008

Race Report Peachtree Road Race

I really went into this race without any real expectations. Between recovering from my knee injury and the new course, I didnt know what to expect.

Yesterday, after work, we hit the expo, hoping to find some good bargains. I was really disappointed. I didnt find anything I was looking for, Cathy, on the other hand, found her socks she was looking for at a good price, plus a new pair of shorts.

For dinner last night, we had the usual pre-race pasta. I got to bed about 10:30. I had to be up at 4AM for the race.

I awoke at 4AM, took a quick shower, used the potty, then had a cliff bar. I also took my usual immodium, and some alieve for my nagging shoulder pain (i think I put too much pressure on it when I sleep). I grabbed my stuff and headed out the door at about 4:40. I had a 20 min drive to meet up with the ladies from my running group I'd be riding with. We headed out in one van at about 5:15/5:20ish. We were going to park by the finish and ride the marta back to the start. When we got into downtown, we got lost at first and got back on the highway and had to go back north one exit. We finally found parking after asking some officers manning a roadblock. By the time we parked and headed out, we were at the marta station around 6:45. When we finally caught a train at 7AM, I knew it was going to be really close to the start when we got off the train in Buckhead. While on the train, I ate my shot blocks and drank a bottle of water.

It was 7:20 when we got off the train in Buckhead. I pushed my way out the marta station, and then sprinted down peachtree. I got to the start at 7:27, 3 minutes before the official start. This kinda worked out as a good little warmup for me.

For the first mile, it was crowded as usual. I tried my best to stay as far left as I could as I tried to pass the slower folks. As I was passing all those waiting on the side of the road to jump in, I saw Nat waiting. I yelled "Is that Nat? Hey its Kevin". I dont know if she even realized who I was when I passed by, but she did at least see me.I was aiming to be at about 8:30/mile for the first 3. The first couple of miles were great. I was on pace to hit a PR, though not likely go under 50 with the impending hills. I finished the first 3 in 24:45 (8:23,8:09,8:13). Then it all went to crap. At about 3.5 miles my stomach started cramping. I tried to walk it off and drink some water, but that only seemed to make it worse. When I ran, the bouncing up and down made me nauseous. I tried to run at an easy pace and walk the water stop. I tried to pick it back up at 4.5 miles, but still didnt feel right. (Mile 4-10:10 Mile 5-11:45)Finally after 5 miles I was able to pick it back up. I finished mile 6 in 8:55. The last half mile was tough. It was all uphill. After I had passed the photographers I actually had to take a quick walk break at like 6.1 miles. I saw the clock and sprinted in trying to beat the one hour mark for the race clock. I crossed the finish line at 1:00:08 official time, 57:49 Garmin/Chip time. I stopped and said hello to my NAMSC Tri club peeps and then met the ladies to head home.

I have a feeling that my nausea may have been caused by the alieve. I took immodium before many a training run as well as the recent sprint tri. There was nothing out of the usual in my diet. I have taken cliff bars before races and have used shot blocks mid run. Because the cramping/nausea was in my stomach, it had to be something that morning, and not from the night before. The good news was my legs felt great. If my stomach hadnt stopped me, I may have PRd. Also, it was really stinkin humid out there today (85%). I was drenched way before the race was over. Based on the time for my first three miles, I think I want to find an easy 5K to run, since I should easily be able to beat my previous 23:33 PR running a 5K and holding nothing back. Now my focus turns completely to triathlon. I have Chattanooga next week, and then its just under 3 months till my 70.3.

Tomorrow Im up early for about a 10-12 miler depending how my legs feel. Then sunday I have a long ride planned with a whole bunch of Tri Peeps Including Wes up in Cartersville at the Bud Plant.

Hope everyone had a happy 4th.

21 comments:

Nat said...

Hey! I heard you but you were the 2nd perosn within a few minutes to yell my name so when you said Hey Nat I was still processing the first person. Good to know who it was!

I had a blast today!
And everyone I know was slower today than last year or previous years. I think it was hotter today at the start and the course change made it a bit more challenging!
Great Job!

Wes said...

Sometimes, the things we learn are more important than a PR! Nice job!! The hotter temps, the course change, they add up to keep us humble!!! Keep working it, bro!!! The perfect conditions are still in your future.

An Athlete In Training said...

Great job today in the race even with the humidity and extra-hilly course change. Bummer to hear about the laptop though!

PreFan1982 said...

The humidity was definitely an issue. At least you got started a bit earlier. Those hills were something. I actually took a walk break after the second one.
Good time considering.

Heather said...

That's an awesome time for the Peachtree RR... It's so much harder to try to go fast there than at another smaller race.

The ending was something this year, wasn't it? And the humidity.

Danielle in Iowa said...

Bummer! Some days our bodies just revolt because of something or other :-) But hey even finishing is a good day on those days!

Sherry said...

Good job yesterday, Kevin. I know that you were fighting through some GI issues (which totally sucks), but you didn't give up. It's amazing the sort of "will" we athletes can muster up during these races, huh?

I hope that you had a wonderful 4th! Thanks so much for the well-wishes regarding my swim. Guess what? They worked!

Jess said...

Sorry to hear about the upset stomach, but you still pulled off a great 10K!

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

You seem a bit disappointed, but you really still had a good race. Just imagine what you can do under better circustances!!

Marcy said...

HOLY HOMIE!! Those are some sweet splits even with the stomach issues!! A very impressive job! I'm sorry it didn't go as planned but you totally rocked! ;D

Stef said...

I agree those are sweet splits! So impressed that you weathered the nausea and humidity to finish strong.

Sounds like a great race to run in general. Here's to strong workouts this weekend as your HIM nears!

ShirleyPerly said...

Oh man, I know how it totally sucks to have stomach issues during a race. But you did great to persevere. And I imagine it was as hot there as it was down here in Orlando so kudos to you for sticking (pun intended :-) it out!

Sarah said...

Nice job!! Didn't get a chance to see you, but good to hear that even with the problems, you finished strong!!

Paul said...

Humidity can really mess things up! Way to hang tough, congrats on your finish!

D10 said...

The thing with stomach issues is that you never know when they will hit. Awesome job on the first 3 splits, you were really cruising. Way to get through the stomach issues and finish strong.

Steph Bachman said...

I'm sorry to hear that you struggled at the PRR. I did too, if it makes you feel better. It was really hot and hard to cool off.

Hope your weekend is lovely.

Viv said...

Sorry it was a tough race or you Kevin. You treked on making you that much stronger. Great on the blogger meet up. Hope you have a great ride with some of the GA gang!

sRod said...

Oh those damn stomach cramps. They mess up my best runs. At least you were able to finish in under an hour even with the stomach and the hills.

cindy said...

Great race, despite the stomach cramps...bummer, I hate those!

akshaye said...

Nice job! It was a tougher course and you did great.

J~Mom said...

Great race and great pictures! I am sorry to hear about your stomach issues though!