Wednesday, July 9, 2008

One mississipp, two mississipi

So last night my plan was to run for about an hour at a comfortably-fast pace. This would be my first run in my new kicks.

On Saturday, after my 12 miler, we went to Big Peach to find some new running shoes. My current New Balance's were wearing down, and I never really was happy with them. For me, finding running shoes is a challenge. I have flat, wide, size 13 EEEE. Yes Quad E. The guy at Big Peach came out with two pair of shoes. The first one I tried on, the ones I would end up buying, were the new Nike Air Zoom Structure Triax+ 11

img from zappos.com

They fit perfectly. I took them out for a spin in the parking lot and knew right away they were going home with me. I tried on a few other pairs, but none felt as good as those. I got to talking with the guy about how Nike has really been working hard to reclaim its spot in the running shoe business. He was telling me how over like the last year their sales of Nike has increased drastically. Maybe oh Maybe I have finally found a keeper.

So as I was saying, last night I was going to run an hour in the new shoes. When I left, there were a few clouds, but not too bad. I chose the park by the house that is a 1 mile loop that goes around the baseball and soccer fields with plenty of shelter options if that became necessary. I dont mind rain, its the lightning I was concerned about. After 1 mile, I began to hear distant thunder. The second mile, I began to see lightning. By the third mile, I knew it was time to call it quits. I could see actual bolts of lightning and was counting the time between lightning and thunder and it was less then 5 seconds.Overall my run was decent. After this weekend I will put the yankz on the new shoes. This weekend I will use my old shoes in the race. I did have some slight achilles pain on mile 3, but that may also be lingering achiness from saturday's long run. I will try these shoes one more time before I call them a keeper. I did 3 miles in 26:13 and felt pretty good.

I drove home, and as I got home, the alarm went off on our weather radio. They had just issued a severe thunderstorm warning. I shot this pic looking out of my garage towards the impending storm




I got in a quick shower before it got really bad. I think something within a block of my house got struck by lightning. You could feel the thunder every time it rumbled. There was some tiny hail, and lots of wind.It passed rather quickly, but we were not done for the night.

I was woken up at 12 Midnight to the obnoxious alert of the weather radio. We were under a flash flood warning. It was raining really hard, and the thunder was super loud. Codi, our 7 year old chocolate lab was so frightened, she hopped into the tub to hide. Needles to say, I didnt get a good night of sleep. I ended up chaning my alarm from 4:30 to 6. I would sacrifice my ride on the trainer in order to get more sleep. I may try to make it up tonight after my swim.

My new cadence sensor for my forerunner came in. My first real test will come race day. I will post a review of it along with my race report. I am glad to be able to get real useful info on my cadence on the bike that I can download to my PC. Plus, its one less piece of equipment to have to worry about on the bike

My neck is almost 100%. I have my full range of motion back. I have just a little bit of pain, and I have stopped taking the ibuprofen. If it hadnt healed I definitely would be heading to the Chiro tonight. I was seeing one, but A. He was really out of the way and B. My insurance changed 1/1/08 and he isnt on my new insuracne. I havent gone out and found a new one yet.

Thanks for all the nutrition advice. I think I am going to be seriously analyzing and changing my nutrition strategy after this weeks race. I am currently reading The Endurance Athlete's GUIDE to SUCCESS. It has much good info, but is biased towards hammer products since it is put out by hammer. I am also going to start logging my nutrition intake and how I feel in order to figure this stuff out.

14 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Hooray for new, well-fitting and the neck improvement!

We get those nasty thunderstorms too, but not very often at night so I lose sleep over it (actually, it'd probably take a direct lightening hit on my house to wake me up).

Look forward to hearing how your race goes!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Oops! New, well-fitting SHOES is what I meant to say. (not new well-fitting neck ;-)

Steve Stenzel said...

I used to only wear Triax! And nice 3 miler in the new kicks!!

teacherwoman said...

Glad to hear you made it in and out before the storm rolled in! Nice pic!

Finding the right shoes can be so difficult. I was wearing asics for almost 2 years and then switched to brooks this past fall. At first I was a firm believer that my constant reccuring knee pains was from the wrong shoes, but I am also thinking it was stemming from a lack of weight training in my legs. My quads were just not strong enough... now I try to encorporate more weight training then previously...

probably TMI, but I just had to share. hehehe.

Wes said...

Oh yea, gots to have the most comfortable shoes. I've been pretty lucky. I've worn four (soon to be five) different brands of shoes, and I haven't worn one I didn't like yet :-)

I was out at the soccer fields last night, filling in for my son who is at camp. Just before the game started the rains came down. The creek overflowed, all fields flooded, all games cancelled. Woot!!!

Glad to hear the neck is feeling mo better! That's great news...

akshaye said...

Nice nice shoes! Glad the necks doing better - you're going to have a great race this weekend!

Jess said...

Good thing you cut the run short. You don't want to mess around with lightning.

Calyx Meredith said...

Cool kicks! Glad the cadence sensor came in (b/c you know I'm waiting breathlessly for your gear review!) And finally YAY for the neck feeling better before this weekend!!

Marcy said...

Oooooo Nikes. How I *heart* my Nikes. You would have to kill me before I part with them LOL

Yikes, I hate T storms!

Tea said...

I used to run in Nikes all the time, but over the years I moved to better shoes. NOW, I'm in the market again and thought about trying Nikes again.

Thanks for post...I'm going to look into them.

Makita said...

Sweet kicks! I'm glad to hear that your neck is feeling better. Nice 3 miler! You were wise to return home with the impending storm.

Looking forward to your race report! :)

Ms. V. said...

Aren't you supposed to avoid a shower when lightning approaches? Something about the pipes...dunno. Good luck on the new shoes.

D10 said...

Glad to hear the neck is feeling much better. That must be a relief. Great job on the run. The storms this week have been crazy. Good luck this weekend.

sRod said...

Those are some scary looking clouds. Nice to here that the Nikes are working for you, I still can't bring myself to buy a pair--I love my Brooks.