Tuesday, July 22, 2008

#%@*&$ Garmin

I nearly had it out with my garmin this morning. Yeah it was mostly my fault, but dang it if it didnt tick me off. I was up this morning at 4:15. I jumped into my running clothes, including my new running shoes with the replacement inserts. And got out the door to run in the hood.

The plan today was 10 minutes warmup, 20 X (30 sec sprint/30 sec easy), followed by 10 minute cooldown. So I set my Garmin up for my intervals, including the warmup and cool down and I was off. So I got through my 10 minute warmup and was feeling great. The ice bath plus using the foam roller, and the stick, had really helped. My legs didnt hurt at all and felt really loose. This is where the garmin headaches began. I hit the button to go from warmup to intervals and started sprinting. A minute later, I am like OK, why hasnt it beeped yet? I realize, instead of hitting the lap button, I hit the Stop button. DOH!! Then to top it off, I notice that it was still set to cycling from Sunday's ride. So I figured Id switch it over to running, right?? Well guess what? If you change over the sport mid-way (if not using multisport), it resets itself. UGH!! Well, at least it saved the data as a separate workout. So I decided to run easy for a minute and then started my sprints.

Overall, my legs felt good. I didnt feel any pain, and my legs felt lose. Because my legs were still a little tired, my times werent as fast as other speedwork sessions. Though this is my first speedwork session in a month and this set had many more intervals (20 vs 12) and the rest was shorter (30 sec vs 2 min) My only problem was I swear my Garmin was out to get me!! It really seemed that the recoveries were much shorter then the sprints(in hindsight, this may be due to the shortened rest), and I swear it seemed my sprints seemed to hit every stinking hill in da hood. Oh well, I guess it will only make me stronger.

My totals
4.4 Miles 41:25
Avg Sprint Pace 7:19
Avg Recovery Pace 10:54

So as I mentioned last time, Big Peach was able to take back my Nikes and I ended up back in New Balances(1061). They seemed to feel great this morning, and I like the little extra bit of room I get in the 4E vs the 2E. The only downside to the shoes is that they are a fugly shade of Tennessee orange!! Yuck!

I also picked up a pair of Sorbothane Ultrasoles. I was a little concerned when I first put my feet in them that they may make my shoes tight, but it wasnt at all. I definitely could tell the difference as this was the first time I had ever put inserts in my shoes. So far they feel great. They really support my heel, which is important for me as I have been an off and on sufferer of plantar fasciitis. I will continue to update you as I break them in.

25 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Glad to hear you were able to get some good speed work in despite the Garmin troubles. My hammy just started acting up and until it's better, no speed work for me :-( I'll do some vicariously through you :-)

Wes said...

Technology is a fickle beast. Good call on the inserts. I swear by them, and you can always switch them back out later if you want.

teacherwoman said...

Sounds like a bit of frustration with the garmin... according to how my week is going, that probably would have been my luck if I were to attempt a similar workout!

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Sometimes I happen to "forget" my garmin...I get so tried of messing with it. I swear it's smarter than I am!!!

Way to get up at the butt crack of stupid and get that run in!

Isela: Purling Sprite said...

May I ask about the Garmin--which one do you have? I am looking into getting something to help me out with my workouts and I am looking at the Garmin 405 and a Polar...don't know which one to get. Thanks!

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO at the kicks!! Homie you know I want to see how fugly they are :P

And thanks for the link on the insoles. I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about them :-)

Jess said...

Glad the switchback shoes are workin out!

Sometimes that damn Garmin make more work than it saves!

An Athlete In Training said...

Can't live without the technology, but at the same time, can't live with it!

Lisa said...

I keep having Garmin troubles where I forget to tell it what sport I'm doing too. grrrrr.

Hope those inserts do the trick for you!

Stef said...

Your feelings toward Garmin this morning: Completely Justified!

I hate it when things don't work, even when it's my fault, dang it!

Running To Stand Still said...

Seriously, just ditto Marcys post and that was everything I wanted to say.

LBTEPA said...

Sprinting up hill - you are a machine

D10 said...

You have to post a picture of your new kicks! Glad they are working out for you. Nice job on the speed workout.

Calyx Meredith said...

Please don't tell on me but I HATE that shade of orange too. The Polyanna in me pipes up to say that maybe the fugly color will keep you from wanting to look down at your shoes during a run, thereby improving your form. See? Silver lining (which is perhaps the only thing that doesn't clash with that nasty UT Orange.)

RunnerGirl said...

I'm sorry, I couldn't focus on your blog after reading the words, "I woke up this morning at 4:15" That's just craziness!

Nitmos said...

We don't always know his reasons at the time but we must trust in Garmin, praise be with him.

akshaye said...

That's frustrating! Nice run.. glad the new shoes and inserts are working well - I've been thinking about getting some inserts myself.

Mendy said...

agree with runnergirl. my goodness, I thought that I was getting up early. NOT. compared to you. j Great job, and it seems like Garmin didn't like getting up that early either!

Ms. V. said...

Please post a pic of the fugly shoes.

I hate to mention this, but I learned I needed glasses when I hit the wrong button.

The name of your town...did I read this right?...wait, let me get my glasses.

Brian said...

4:15, you're a crazy man.
If you don't like the Garmin, you could always drop it off here.

Rock on Bro.

Gotta Run said...

My garmin is deep in the botton of some basket in my bathroom. That thing sucks!!

Need a picture of the new kicks.

Steve Stenzel said...

That is why I don't run with anything more techie than my 100 lap watch. Stupid technology.

;)

sRod said...

Makes me feel less bad about not being on the garmin wagon.

cindy said...

Glad I'm not the only one who gets mad at my Garmin. I'm giving it the "cold shoulder" right now...ran without it this morning!

mrjwhit~ said...

I have had no issues with my my Garmin. However you use your's more intensely than I.