Sunday, July 6, 2008

Exhausting weekend

So after having a so-so performance at the peachtree RR on Friday, I had to be up early again on Saturday to meet the group for a 12 mile run. I was a little tired, but my legs felt fine. My plan was to try and make these really easy miles and stay back with the group. My goal was to get through the 12 miles, and still be able to do Sunday's long ride. I couldnt seem to find a good pace. My brain kept saying slow down, but my legs kept saying pick it up. I found myself walking at times just to force myself to slow down. All together, I would average a 9:50 pace. I probably shouldve slowed it down to a 10 or 10:15 pace. My paces were all over the place

8:25
9:18
9:19
10:20
10:16
9:35
9:34
10:14
9:51
10:35

I couldnt seem to find one pace that worked for me. The course ended up being over 13 miles. At 12.25 miles, I went ahead and walked the rest of the way. I almost decided to pick it up. I had looked at my Garmin and realized I could've broken my Half Marathon PR in that run. Then I came to my senses and realized that with auto-pause, It may not have actually been a PR. It had taken over 5 minutes to regroup our early group and the later group.

The good news is I had no stomach issues. I am almost certain it was the aleve that made me nauseous.

I really need to work on my hydration planning for the long training runs. I went through my 4 bottles of water by mile 8. luckily, one of the girls had not used all her bottles and offered me some gatorade.I am thinking about resorting to using my 2 liter camelback. I also need to get more electrolytes into me on those long sweaty runs. The gels just do not seem to provide enough. By the end of the run, besides being super thirsty, I was craving salt.

By Saturday evening, I knew there was no way I was going to be able to do the group ride on sunday. When I woke this morning, I was so tired and sore, there was no way. I barely made it through a 1500 meter easy swim in the pool.

Hopefully I will be well rested by tomorrow.

They have started posting the Peachtree Road Race pics.

Mine can be seen Here. I am glad I wore the tri top. I may even order pictures this year

24 comments:

Tea said...

Maybe you should try salt tablets? I like Succeed cuz I have this "sweating" issue.

Nice job on the run. Even though your paces were all over the place, you've come a long way quickly. :)

teacherwoman said...

Nice job, Kevin! Glad to hear there were no issues with the stomach.

D10 said...

I have days when I can't find my pace and it is annoying. As for your hydration are you making sure you are drinking enough the day before the long runs?

Glad to hear your stomach felt better.

Marcy said...

I hear you on working out a hydration plan for the long runs. Something I've gotta work on myself.

You look AWESOME in those pics!! Def some keepers! ;D ;D

RunnerGirl said...

Great job on the run. And I love your pictures, that shirt rocks!

Wes said...

Yea, most people RECOVER after a race. But NOOOO, not you :-)

Running To Stand Still said...

The pics are great!! That was a lot of working out over the weekend. I am very jealous. Keep up the good work.

ShirleyPerly said...

Love that tri top color, really looks great on you in the photos. And like Tea suggested, I think you ought to look into taking salt tabs to see if they'll help. My husband, who's a big guy and a very heavy sweater, does much better on long, hot summer workouts when he takes them.

Viv said...

The pics look great, Kevin! Way to hang tough with the super busy long weekend of workouts. You surely made the right choice on passing on the ride. I constantly battle with hydration/nutrtion issues on long runs and rides.

cindy said...

Nice run...I tried salt tablets for the first time on my long run in the heat this weekend, along with my gels and sports drink. It made a big difference. So many other times I crave salt when I'm done, too! (not this time though)

Gotta Run said...

Your first mile was a bit fast. I hate the runs where it just not seem possible to lock in on a pace.

Still you did great and I am glad you had no tummy issues.

As for a fuel holder... I am sending you a link to your email address. I just purchased this one and think it will work well for you too.

akshaye said...

The pictures turned out great! Nice work following up the Peachtree witha 12 miler and I am glad the nausea disappeared.

Stef said...

I agree with Tea and Shirley on the salt tablets. I use Thermolytes. Need to bump up that salt intake, especially in the heat!

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Nothing like a nice long "easy" run day after a race. You are crazy!

Nice pics!

Nitmos said...

Just one of those days...the next run will go smoother. At least, that's what I always tell myself and usually myself is right.

Nice Peachtree RR!

PreFan1982 said...

I didn't see your e-mail in your profile. My Garmin's USB cable is not being read by my computer. Now the watch is dead. Here is my e-mail to send a response: bgosden@yahoo.com

Take it easy this week recovering from that wild weekend of running.

Jess said...

Pace issues or not, that's a good 12 miler. Especially the day after a race.

triguyjt said...

great pics kevin...

glad you got past the stomach situation....

way to go...

a few salt pills should really help

triguyjt said...

great pics kevin...

glad you got past the stomach situation....

way to go...

a few salt pills should really help

Kellye Mills said...

What are you training for that you're running that much right now? That's a lot! Good Job!

Karen said...

That sounds like a great training run the day after Peachtree! WoW!

In the heat you are in I'd say you deffo need electrolyte drink (zym or nuun tablets work well, not sure if you have them over there)... also you can get "salt sticks" or something like that which are tablet things. Probably worth looking into for your 70.3!

Run for Chocolate said...

I have a friend that was successful with the salt tablets too. THe more training you do, the more answers you will have.

Sherry said...

Oooohhh... I hate it when the brain and the legs fight each other. Mine have terrible arguments ever Monday morning during my LSR.

So many posts about salt tablets. I'm thinking that maybe I should give these a whirl as well. I also struggle with hydration issues.

Ryan said...

I wish I could use McDonald's extra salty fries as my electrolyte replacement during runs.

I use a 2L camelbak during the summer on long runs, 4 little bottles just won't cut it.

Looking forward to this weekend!