Sunday, July 20, 2008

Digging deep and freezing my bum off

So after a tough weekend of training and not being totally recovered from Chattanooga, I took my first Ice Bath tonight.

I think I didnt get it cold enough because my I barely shivered, my legs werent numb, and I didnt really have goose bumps. Next time, I think I will use 4 bags of ice instead of 2. I got in started filling the tub with (not really that) cold water. Once my legs were covered, I added the first bag of ice and continued to fill the tub. By the time the tub was filled, the first bag had already melted. I added the second bag. It was cold, but I wouldnt say it was torture like I was expecting. I am feeling somewhat better, but my glutes are still a little sore. I guess I will need to use the roller tonight too.

So on Saturday, my aggressive plan called for 14, and my not so aggressive called for 10. I knew it would be slower then previous long runs, but I was surprised how slow it actually was. While I was able to keep my turnover rate about what it normally was, and my form was fine, I just couldnt seem to get the push off to pick up any speed. I even thought about turning around, but I kept going. My plan was to do the first early 5 miler then do the 10 miler that is actually more like 9.5 and could easily be shortened to 9.My first mile came in at 8:45 and actually felt good, after that, it all went downhill. Each of the next four miles was 30 seconds slower then the next. When we headed back out, I was still hopefull I could pull off the full 14. I knew by mile 7 that was not going to happen. I chose to do the 6 miler, which was actually around 5.5 miles. I struggled through it, behind the pack I am usually a couple of minutes in front of and stopped when I hit the 10 mile mark. I did 10 miles in an hour and 45 minutes for an average pace of 10:33, 45 seconds to a minute slower than my usual long run pace. I completely attribute this to not being fully recovered and not stretching/rolling this week. For nutrition, I took a fuel belt bottle (8oz) of strong gatorade I mixed that morning every 2 miles. At the regroup after 5 miles, I ate 6 shot blocks, refilled the 2 bottles I used in the first 5 and put on my camel back. In addition to my bottle every 2 miles, I went through about 1 liter of water from the camel back. This was probably slightly more then I needed, I think my gatorade may have been a little strong.

After the run, we headed to Big Peach, who took back my Nike's. Instead, I went with a new pair of the New Balance's I had been running with, except now in a EEEE instead of EE. The more I thought about itm my last few long runs, the peachtree 10K, and the Chattanooga Oly were all done in the New Balances. The other thing is this time based on other blogger's experiences, I purchased replacement insoles which in testing in the store felt much better. Once I run in them, I will post a review.

So up sunday, a four hour ride on the silver comet with Wes. My longest (non trainer) ride was on the comet and was 48 miles. My longest trainer ride was 56 miles in 2:30. Obviously there is a big difference between the trainer and riding outside. We headed out at 6:30. His plan was 60 minutes in Zone 1 as a warmup, 2* 30 minutes in Zone 2 with 15 minutes recovery between and finish up in around zone 2. The first half went pretty good. I made it through the first interval, though definitely slower then Wes, but I was able to keep my HR down. I cant even say for certain on the second one. We hit 35 miles in just under 2 hours. We stopped to stretch and eat something solid, and then headed back. The third hour wasnt bad, but definitely slower. After 3 hours, I was drained. This was the first time I really had to dig deep and push myself forward. Wes was great to wait several times for me to catch up, and I think we may have stopped about 3 times, twice to stretch, and one for me to refill my bottles. While I wont likely do more then 3 to 3:30 for any of my long rides, I needed this. This was the first time I ever had to dig deep inside and find the confidence to complete the task at hand. A few times, I thought to myself: the 70.3 is going to be this tough. I am going to have to dig deep to complete it. I was glad I was able to push through with my tired, tight, achy legs. Total ride was 70 miles in 4 hours 22 min. Average speed 16.3. First half was in 1:59(17.7 mph), second in 2:23(15 mph)

For nutrition on the ride, I filled my first two bottles with a nuun/weak gatorade mix. I think this may be a winner. It has enough calories and electrolytes to get the job done. At the halfway point, I took a cliff bar. On the way back, I had 2 bottles of water/nuun. The only thing about nuun, even though they claim it doesnt, it made me burp alot. Along with the water/nuun, I took 3 shot blocks every 30 minutes. I am finding that I like the shot blocks better then gels. My plan was one bottle per houur. This worked for the first half, but as it heated up, I was done with my 3rd and 4th bottles by like 3:15. I refilled 2 bottles, drank one down almost immediately and finished the last (#6) about 30 minutes before the finish. It was getting really hot. When we stopped so I could refill, there was a woman who apparently was riding alone who passed out due to the heat. Apparently when they found her she was a little disoriented and had fallen over. Hopefully she is ok. Next long ride, I may try the gatorade/nuun mix in all four bottles. That mix is not enough calories, so I will have to see how shot blocks mix with the gatorade. I dont think they will be as bad as mixing gels with gatorade.

I am not sure how this week will go. I will just take it as it comes. I know it takes about 2 weeks to recover from an Olympic. I am seriously reconsidering my plan to do the Marathon in November. I will first see how next weekends 12 miler goes. I have already backed down to a less agressive plan that will probably get me one 20 miler before the 70.3 and another after. If next week goes bad, then I will stay in like the 10-15 mile range through the 70.3 and then see if I can build up to a 20 miler after SC. If not, then I will see if I can find a close race around December. Otherwise, I will wait for an early 2009 marathon. Right now my focus needs to be on the 70.3 and especially on the bike. I seriously need hill work or high gear low cadence hill simulation. I also need to work on my core. I am going to try to find an easy to do at home 30 minute or less core workout. Also, once I am sure my shoulder is OK, I will actually start to do the pushup challenge. I have not been doing it because of my shoulder.

27 comments:

D10 said...

Way to dig deep. It seems like this weekend was tough for a few of us. I think you have a great plan and are being very smart about your training and where your focus needs to be. Keep it up.

Glad to hear you got to switch your sneakers.

Stef said...

Nice job! I can relate to that feeling on the bike as that happened to me this weekend too! Not as long of a ride but I was ready to be done.

I've read that people use 3-4 bags of ice in an ice bath. Never tried it myself.

Tea said...

VERY HOT weekend. I was very surprised at how much fluid I went through.

You're doing a great job prioritizing and keeping your focus!

Danielle said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE ice baths! They are even better with epsom salt!

teacherwoman said...

Nice job, Kevin! I tried an ice back after my half marathon and one bag of ice was not enough. It melted way too fast!

LBTEPA said...

That's good work on the ride - it'll pay off in your HIM

Calyx Meredith said...

You are putting in the physical and the mental training for you half iron. It's paying off already. You are going to be so ready for that race!

Good that you got the shoes traded for ones that work. I'll be interested to read about the insoles.

Marcy said...

Alright homie!!! Way to rock out!

What kind of insoles did you get? I'm looking forward to the review. I always have the need to buy "something" :P LOL

Hart said...

hey! great blog!

for your nuun burp issue: try letting it disolve fully with the bottle open before the race. or if you must do it on the run/ride then make sure you 'burp' it. basically pressure builds in the bottle as it disolves - so let that pressure out every minute until it's done. that should fix any issues i'd say.

good luck, keep up the great work!

Sherry said...

You are the man, Kevin! Way to really dig deep and complete that bike ride. That sort of confidence booster is certain to go a really long way come race time. Also enjoyed reading about your nutrition experiments. That's something that I need to start concentrating on myself.

Ice baths... I've only taken one... and it was more like a dip in our pool in February... brrrrr! Talk about being mentally tough!

Wes said...

I really appreciated your company yesterday, even though we didn't really "ride together" that much. I pretty much bagged the second interval, case I didn't really care and you looked like you didn't need it :-) I couldn't resist hammering those downhills a bit though, that's when I always stopped to wait for you to catch up. I didn't mind. I finished my 70 miles with a little less ride time, but I felt like I couild have easily ridden for another hour or so, and that is great training for Florida in November. Sometimes, you learn good things in unexpected ways!!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, you must be a hottie melting all that ice! Not sure of the size of your ice bags but 2 is usually enough for me.

Good job hanging in there on the bike ride. Hope the shoulder is back to normal soon!

Nitmos said...

The week after a big race is always tough.

I've done exactly one ice bath and that was enough for me. I'd rather do a hot tub and a beer for recovery.

cindy said...

I did an ice bath once...burrr! I'm a big sissy just sticking my foot in a bucket of ice water lately. My son teases me...says if I can run as far as I do I should be able to stand the pain of ice on my foot for 10-15 minutes.

Anyway, I can understand your reservations about the marathon. Me too. I am waiting until the last minute to register just in case I feel I shouldn't or can't do it. My main focus is the 70.3 too :)

Good luck!

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Way to go Kevin! Great job digging deep and getting the training in. It had to be nice to have Wes to train with too.

I love ice baths! They are aweful at the time but ssssoooo good for the legs!

Mendy said...

training hard, I see! Good job on the ride!

There's a full (and a half) in Dec - Kiawah Island. Supposed to be a pretty decent race. It's a little cold and pancake flat, I hear. The full is 2 loops. Check it out, if you're looking for a full. Kiawah is just outside Charleston, SC.

akshaye said...

Good work digging deep and sticking with it - watch out for Wes, he'll kill you on those rides :)

Stay cool this week.. another scorcher with bad air is in the cards.

P.O.M. said...

I've been thinking about tring the nuun stuff. I currently just do water and shot blox. I think it's enough, but being the queen of passing out and puking, I'm not sure. HA!

Viv said...

What an excellent training weekend! Your hard work and pushing through this heat will get you sweetness at the IM70.3. I am all excited about you future 70.3. it is cool following you through training. Good choice on returning the Nike's. you are doing the push up challege too?? Geez the peerpressure around blogs to get on it.LOL!

Jess said...

I've never been brave enough for the ice bath. You're hardcore, dude.

sRod said...

I've never tried the ice bath. Scares the bejesus out of me and my man-parts.

J~Mom said...

Add me to the list that has yet to try an ice bath. I do need to try it sometime! I love nuun! I am glad it's working for you!

Tri chick said...

Great job!!!
I can relate to there being a big difference between biking on the trail and biking on the trainer.

Hope to join you and Wes sometime on the trail.

Steph Bachman said...

Good job on your bike. I wish all rides could feel like the "good ones" but sometimes they are just not so fun.

I bring 2 bottles of electrolyte drink and an aerodrink bottle of water for every 2 hrs of riding plus a GU every 30-45 mins. Therefore, I think you were underfueling. YMMV, but I feel better with the calories in me. : )

Lisa said...

I think it's awesome that you could dig deep and get it done on the bike.

Heather said...

Ice baths are magic. Your legs will thank you.

I usually put on a sweatshirt and get some hot cocoa and reading material to make it through. Brr!

Karen said...

Ice baths - BRRRRR! Someone told me I should give it a try... sounds painful but I hear it works!