Thursday, July 10, 2008

Darn that was close

So last night we were in for a repeat performance from mother nature. When we pulled into the gym, it was getting cloudy and I knew it had already stormed a little earlier. As I was finishing up my main set, I could hear the thunder roaring. So I hurried up, finished my kicks and my cooldown, rushed through a quick shower and barely dried myself so we could hopefully get in the car before the rain hit. As we were approaching the car. BANG!! Lightning struck less the 100 yards away from us. Cathy could actually feel the hair on her arms stand up. That was the closest I have ever been to lightning. That was a little scary. And the great news is that it will repeat itself again tonight. This means no run, and we may skip out of the tri club meeting tonight :( . Tuesday night's storms claimed one victim: our wireless router. So right now I dont have any internet connection at home :(

After dinner, I was able to take two things off my pre-race checklist. I removed my old computer and put on my new cadence sensor to use with the garmin. It was actually pretty easy to install. I got it up and running in less then 30 minutes. I wouldve gotten it on even quicker, but dumb me had the speed sensor on the far spoke instead of a near spoke. I was really surprised there isnt any calibration. I am not sure how it knows the speed accurately without setting up wheel size. I also replaced the bar tape on Windbreaker. She has needed new tape for awhile. I probably bought the tape 6 months ago and never bothered to do it. I looked the instructions up online, and it was actually easy to do. So know Windbreaker has some new black and gray camo tape. I am even thinking about taping my aero bars.

So this morning I got up at 430 and rode windbreaker on the trainer for an hour. The new tape felt good and the cadence sensor works great. Now I can sit down and analyze when my cadence begins to drop off the deep end


OSN:2000 main set 4*200 Threshold 4*50 Sprint
OCN:65 minutes on trainer 21.61 mi 19.9 mph 119 hr 81 cadence.

Came across this new thing on runners world's website. The triathlon glossary . Its a great little resource if ever you are not sure what something means

14 comments:

An Athlete In Training said...

That was quite a close call. Glad it wasn't any closer. Sorry about the router though, that's never fun!

I've always wondered that about the calibration as well (but not enough to research it). Glad you got it all set up for use in the race this weekend. One thing I noticed though is that it at times might throw random spikes into your speed / cadence (i.e. going at 16mph @ 83 cadence and will suddenly show 24 mph when I haven't sped up). Don't know if that's localized to mine or a lot have that issue, but you might start seeing that.

Nitmos said...

Why not run? You could be the first victim, er, guinea pig for the new Lightening Speed Training technique. I'll be happy to document the results in case you aren't able to.

Marcy said...

OMG that is so scary, homie! I'm glad you guys are alright! Wow!

Thanks for the linky. You know it's funny, I read so many tri blogs that I actually understand most of the lingo. I learn something new from you peeps every day :-)

Calyx Meredith said...

Lightning is nothing to mess around with - so glad y'all are ok!! I've been squeezing my runs in between thunder storms here too. (Ahhh, summer in the South!) Best of luck this weekend!

Wes said...

I'll never forget standing under the concession stand at a soccer field in Columbus and having lightning strike a tree across the field from us. I got such a charge out of it (hee, hee).

The Garmin doesn't need your wheel size to determine speed. It uses the same math to determine your pace while running.

The cadence sensor is going to be a huge boost for you. Higher cadence means better run!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Glad it missed! Darn lightening has fried our AC system twice and once killed all our network components (router and cards in our computers) --GRRRRR...

That tri glossary is helpful, particularly for newbies who may be inundated with all the various terms. I think it's worth sharing with others at the Bar -- thanks for posting the link!

akshaye said...

MAn that was close.. I've lost one tv and a cable modem to lightning. We're back to the daily July thunderstorm thing though. Which is great for the drought.

Kevin said...

The reason I wonder about calibration is I was using it indoors and hadnt used it at all outdoors with the speed sensor. Thus, it was sensing speed based on wheeel revolutions only. Every other bike computer has needed wheel size to do this

Gotta Run said...

I like how RW has been adding more info on things like tri's and trail running. It is not all about road races anymore.

These storms have been nasty but we sure need the rain.

teacherwoman said...

You know, when you mentioned the storm rolling in yesterday and the lightening... it reminded me of the lightning that struck our neighbors yard just north of my parts house... probalby less than 100ft. That lightning strike took out my parents computer. Nothing could be saved from it. Sorry to hear about the router!

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

I've been a little too close for comfort with lightning a couple times. SCARY!!

Steve Stenzel said...

WOW!! Careful with that lightning!!

Brian said...

I love working on my bike, somehow I feel more connected to it.

Yeah that weather... nice to have the rain.

See ya in Chatt.

Stef said...

Dang I've never had any close calls with lightening before. Glad you guys are okay!