Thursday, July 24, 2008

4:30 AM Really isnt all that bad

I am starting to get used to this 4:30 thing. Of course yesterday I got up at 4:30, used the bathroom and then decided I wasnt interested in getting on my bike and went back to bed, but today, I was back up and running at 4:30. The thing I am dreading is that soon 4:30 will become 4:00 or maybe even um 3:30? There are two things that will conspire to get me up before even the butt crack of stupid. First off, school starts back in a few weeks. During the summer, I can leave for work at 7 AM and still get into work on time. Once school is in, I'll have to leave the house at 6:30. That combined with longer training as I peak for the 70.3 at the end of September means that I will be getting up really early.

So last night I hit the pool for the first time in a week. My shoulder wasnt really hurting when I got in the pool. By the time I was done, my shoulder hurt jsut a little. I think I have swimmers shoulder. I am pretty sure it was caused by a mix of unilateral breathing, and possibly also the paddles I use. I will continue to swim, but avoid the paddles and really focus on breathing on both sides. I did a total of 2000 yards with the main set being 5*200 Threshold. My times were rather consistent throughout. My shoulder didnt really hold me back.

I was up at 4:30 this morning and headed out on a 70 minute easy run. I really focused on keeping my heart rate down. I really wasnt too concerned with my overall speed. Any time my heart rate went over 155, I backed my speed off.I did 7 miles in 70 minutes.


I am loving my New Balance 1061's. They are really working well for me. They fit my big flat feet just right, and they provide ample support. There is just the right amount of cushioning, and the toe box has ample space without feeling too loose. These are the first pair of shoes I have been able to run longer distances in and not have any issues with my feet falling asleep and without any pain at all. This will be the first time EVA I have stuck with the same shoes for more then one pair. I am on #2 and will be ordering #3 soon

My legs felt pretty good, though I would have to say overall, I am probably about 80% recovered from the Oly . I hope this weekend to be at 100% for Saturday's long run. I haven't decided where I will do this week's long run, but I am leaning towards Stone Mountain so I can get some long hill work in.

So tomorrow, I am up at 4:15. I need to be on the bike by 4:30 so I can get in a full 90 minutes.

In gear news, I got in my Garmin Quick Release and so far I like it. I actually like the armband better then the plastic watch band. Now I just need to figure out mounting the holder on the bike.

I also picked up Workouts - In a Binder for Indoor Cycling (Workouts in a Binder) and Workouts in a Binder: Swim Workouts for Triathletes . I was mainly looking for the cycling book, but I was able to get both for 40$ when they normally retail for 30 each. I have taken a quick look, and I think it will give me some good workouts specifically designed for riding the trainer. I know I really need to focus on my cycling if I want to make some real improvement overall.

23 comments:

Calyx Meredith said...

I don't mind 4:30 am in the summer because it's really almost starting to be light but towards the fall when it's still really dark and sort of chilly? I do not like 4:30 am at all.

And whenever you mention your feet I think about my father's - he wears a 9EEEE. They're square. :D

Can't wait to hear more about those workouts in a binder books. Have eyed them but not yet invested.

Steph Bachman said...

No, 4:30 really isn't bad. I am, however, starting to wake up a little earlier and just get up instead of risking a missed run/swim.

Here is a link to my wide shoe post when I had the epiphany: http://stephbachman.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2005-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&updated-max=2006-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=50

I'm glad you got the right shoes for you!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

I have heard rumors that this "4:40am" exists, but haven't witnessed it myself, so I think its just a myth...

Glad your shoes are working out. It sure makes a difference to be in the right shoes.

Frayed Laces said...

Way to embrace the early mornings! I love love love my early morning runs--too bad I can't swim at that hour. Even with my lights, I feel nervous biking in the dark---how do you do it?

I am so in love with my Garmin quick release. The velcro armband beats the original, hands down!

Marcy said...

What?!?! They have the velcro strap for the 205/305's?!? OMG I'm SO getting one!! I HATE the 205/305 straps. My wrist size is in between notches so it's annoying. Thanks homes!! You rock!

RunnerGirl said...

You are amazing with those early mornings, I continue to be impressed!

Nitmos said...

As Lisa said, I wouldn't know about 4:30 AM unless you told me. Or a future race starts then and I'm forced to learn.

Wes said...

The right shoe is so important. I'm sure the insoles are helping too. Thanks for the tip on the kit! I didn't even know they had those!!

mrjwhit~ said...

Nice to meet a fellow GA. Great goals!

ShirleyPerly said...

Great to hear you've found some shoes that work! I often buy 2-3 pairs once I find some I like. I wish shoe manufacturers didn't change their models so often as sometimes just a new seam or something cosmetic will make a new model not fit as well ...

PS - I like the Swim workout booklet except for the kickboard drills :-)

Stef said...

Awesome about the shoes. I have two pairs of New Balances they are duplicates. One has a few more miles than the other.

It's funny to read others' reactions to the butt crack of stupid. I fall into the camp that hasn't seen it in some time!

PreFan1982 said...

4:30!?!?!
My eyes are stuck to the inside of my eyelids at that ungodly hour.
Way to go Mr. HardCore!!

Marni said...

Hey kevin!
Karel and I will be in Norcross tonight at 8pm for the Crit race. Karel races at 8pm for the pro race. If you can make it, let me know :) You might be tired from all that training!!!
-marn

LBTEPA said...

I tell you what, you are going to reap the rewards of your dedication on race day. No-excuses Kevin, that's you!

Mendy said...

Wow, I must be such a wimp. 4:30 is EARLY for me. I do, however, think I'm getting used to 5:45 and you're right - there is something about getting up and getting your workouts in.

Glad you found some shoes that continue to buy. Finding the right ones is such a hard thing to do.

Running To Stand Still said...

You will be getting up right after I go to bed, LMAO.

Those kicks are beautiful, seriously. I love them!! And more importantly I am glad they are working out for you.

Annette said...

4:30 a.m. sounds way early to me. That's when you know you have true dedication. Nice! Keep up the good workouts and take care of that shoulder.

Tea said...

Hey...gotta tell you: Swim Workouts in a Binder is how I got started swimming! I really loved the workouts. The only issue that I had was that I couldn't use them for IM training. (They max out at about 3000m/yds) Mentally, I needed to know that I could get over the 5k mark for the swim.

The workouts are GREAT though!

Xenia said...

Damn 4:30am! You hardcore people make me feel wimpy. I thought 5:30 am was pretty badass and I've only had to do that a couple of times.

Young grasshopper is learning from the masters. :)

Kellye Mills said...

3:30 is NUTS!! Good luck with that!

triguyjt said...

the butt crack of stupid is right up my alley!!!!!!

sRod said...

5:00 am is the earliest my alarm clock knows. Anything before that and I think the alarm doesn't go ovff becaus eit knows you don't really want to wake up that early.

Jess said...

Um, your title and overall theme here denotes a certain kind of crazy, you know that, right?