Tuesday, July 29, 2008

100th Post!!

Its hard to believe I have hit my 100th post. That and I cant believe y'all have stuck around for 100. My first post was in August 2007. I did 2 posts and then didn't do another one until February 2008. At first, like everyone else, this started out as just a way for me to log my training on-line. Since then it has turned into so much more. When I added the "Sites I Stalk" feature, I was shocked to find out that I currently read (and usually reply) to 100 Blogs. No wonder I am stuck to this computer in the evenings!!

When I first got into triathlons last year, I hung out reading the message boards at Beginner Triathlete ("BT"). One day, after posting my info on the Introduce Yourself topic in the Georgia forum on BT, I got a PM from Sarah. It turns out that Sarah went to someone with the same name as I, about the same age, but at a different HS in the county (Broward County, Florida). I found Sarah's Blog and started reading it regularly, but I think I was too shy to post any replies.

Eventually, I decided "I should set up my own training blog". So I set it up, posted something... and didnt post another thing for 6 months.by then, I had done my first triathlon, my second tri the week after my first, my first half marathon, and a second half marathon. All those milestones, and I hadnt blogged about a single one.

Then, I realized, if I was ever going to get others to read and reply to my blog, I was going to have to read and reply to theirs. This started me on a sorta chain letter type approach. I found several from Sarah's blog, including Wes's. Initially I was focused on finding local peeps. Eventually, I realized I shouldn't limit myself to local bloggers. From it just snowballed and now I am up to 100 blogs I read. Thank goodness for google reader.

Blogging is such a great experience. I have made new friends, met some great folks, and learned so much. I have even been able to share some of my limited wisdom to bloggers as well. I look forward to many,many more posts.

Before I share my favorite of my first 100 posts, I think I am coming out of my training funk. I had a pretty good run interval session this morning. My legs felt fresh and ready to sprint. It works out that this is actually a recovery week in my 70.3 training. If I can stay out of the pool this week, ice my shoulder daily, and dont make an attempt at the pushup challenge (like I did on Sunday--Stupid me), I should hopefully be back in the pool next week.

Without much further adieu, here are my top ten favorite of my first 100 posts
The naming of the bike
New 10PR in a training run
My Story
I love Blogging(Got lots of great advice)
1st Annual Phat B's Mock Tri(Met Several Bloggy Peeps)
Lost in Transition
Best Long run ever and dinner with the blogger Iron Girls
Chattanooga-My first Oly and Photos
Me and my Garmin have it out
4:30 AM isnt all that bad (for all the you must be crazy comments I got)

20 comments:

Sarah said...

Hooray - the animal is back! I can sense the positivity in your post. And I LOVED this post, I love hearing about how you fell into this blogging world. Now, off to read your favorites.

Great idea - I just might steal it one day ;)

Marcy said...

HAPPY 100!! Here's to many many more posts! I look forward to it! ;-)

ROFLMAO, I TOTALLY hear you on the TGF Reader. Oy, mine has a 100+ also.

Wes said...

100 is about as much as I can take. I'm outta here! ;-)

When I get to 100, I'm capping my blog roll there! I am at about 85 right now!! Meeting local peeps like yourself is da bomb :-)

ShirleyPerly said...

Happy 100th! Man, I have no idea how many blogs I read but it may be close to 100. Glad to have you in my Reader :-)

Xenia said...

Happy 100th post! I am a new reader, but I am most definitely sticking around. Keep up the good work!

LBTEPA said...

Well I am glad you've kept blogging. I really enjoy your perspective on training and life in general.Here's to the next 100!

triguyjt said...

congrat kevin on the 100!!!

and you are doing great in your budding racing career....

you have come a loooooooonnnnnng way

Jess said...

Happy 100th!

Tea said...

That's so cool!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Happy 100th post. I love your blog - glad you are out there to read. :)

Stef said...

Happy 100th Kevin!! I need to check out your faves, make sure I haven't missed any.

Jane said...

Congrats! I need to read and comment on your blog more.

PreFan1982 said...

Congrats on #100!! I thank you that I am among the "sites you stalk". Here's to many more good posts and good training days to make up those posts

RunnerGirl said...

Congrats on #100!

Ryan said...

I don't know if I should give you congratulations for writing 100 or being able to read 100 on a regular basis. What a time commitment!

I am finding that as my training volume increases, my creativity and energy levels have dropped dramatically, and that results in fewer posts and less reading.

Well done to both!

Happy Training

J~Mom said...

I kind of did it backwards and started blogging and then found BT. I love the favorites list, might make my own someday.

Mendy said...

100 posts!! Yippee.... Enjoyed the story.

Ms. V. said...

Congrats on your 100. I have 60 that I read, so I'm behind you!

I still think 4:30 is crazy.

Steve Stenzel said...

Happy 100!!

Take it easy this week so you can pick it up again next week!

D10 said...

Congratulations on your 100th post! I have really enjyed reading your journey. Can't wait for the next 100.

Glad to hear the funk is starting to leave your system. You'll be back in full force soon.