Sunday, June 29, 2008

New milestone on the trainer

I slept in as planned, but before I could get on the bike, I got Cathy up so we could run some errands. Once we got home from our errands I got on the bike on my trainer in my super hot garage. This was at 4PM. I wont make the mistake of waiting till the afternoon to do a long ride. It was way too hot.

I apologize if the rest of this post sounds like I am blabbering or talking to myself, but I need to begin to work out my nutrition strategy on the bike.

Alright, so I set my bike up, popped in LOTR: The Return of the King, and got to spinnin. After 30 minutes, I realized I need to drop down a few gears so I could get my cadence up. I was pushing about 25 mph or more, but my cadence was down like 70 rpm. While I may be spinning faster at that higher gear, I know it will drain my legs of energy, especially when I get of the bike and start my run.

So I began the ride with a basic nutrition plan I wanted to try. I had two bottles with water, ad two with mixed powdered gatorade. Plus I grabbed a cliff Z-bar and three gels. This would turn out to be insufficient. Some of this may have been due to the high heat inside the garage. I was just gushing in sweat. So my plan was a bottle every 30 minutes, the first two would be the water ones and the second two gatorade. I also thought I was only going to be on the bike for 2 hours since I waited too late to get on the bike.30 minutes in, I took a Espresso GU and was halfway through my second bottle. At one hour I ate the Z-bar and was on my first bottle of Gatorade. At 90 minutes, I had a GU and was halfway through my 2nd bottle of gatorade. This is where things went a little wrong.At 1 hr 45 min, I am not sure if I was dehydrated, or if it was the combination of gatorade and gu, but I didnt feel right and my tummy was a little off. Luckily, I had water and gatorade in the garage.I grabbed several bottles of water and the last 2 bottles of gatorade I had in the garage. I sucked down a bottle of water and felt better. At 2 hrs, I opened up a bottle of gatorade and drank it over the last 30 minutes.

0:30-GU, on 2nd bottle of water
1:00-Z-bar beginning 1st bottle of gatorade
1:30-GU, finishing 2nd bottle of Gatorade.
1:45-"Bonk" 1 0.5L bottle H2O
2:00-2:30-Bottle Gatorade

Tentative plan for next long ride
On the 30s GU + H2O
On the hour Z-Bar + Gatorade
Possibly also wear my 2L camel back with H2O

On my next long ride, definitely in the AM, I will try a bottle every 30 minutes again. If that is not enough my next thing will be one every 20. I think in cooler conditions, every 30 will work for me in training. I guess I should also work on calculating caloric intake/usage.

So back to the ride. It felt great. My longest ride on the trainer had previously been 2 hours. That ride was 45 miles. I was determined to get a full 56 miles done before I hit 2.5 hours. I hit 56 miles at 2:28:30. Now, I know I wont be able to ride that fast during the 70.3, but I am glad to have finally hit the magic number for this race. It helps add some confidence to my training for the 70.3 in September. The way things are going for me right now, I really feel I can accomplish all my goals (Sub 2 hr 1/2, finish 70.3, finish full marathon) this year.

I ended up doing 56.53 miles in 2.5 hours for an average speed of 22.56 mph. My average cadence was only 80 rpm. I need to actively work to increase my rpm on these long rides. I also need to find some new movies since I finished up the last of the LOTR movies.

One interesting note. After 2.5 hours on the trainer, it had apparently gotten quite hot. As I leaned over to loosen up the bolts to get my bike off, I actually heard a sizzle as sweat dropped onto the trainer. Wow! That sure does generate alotta heat. I am just glad I didnt end up burning myself. That, and I left rubber on the wheel on the trainer, so I definitely need to check my tire and probably change it before next weekends long ride up in Cartersville

23 comments:

An Athlete In Training said...

Sounds like you're well on track for that 70.3!

Also, thanks for posting your nutrition plan/attempts at it - I know it varies person to person but its still helpful to see what other people are trying and how they are finding what works for them!

Sarah said...

Ok, so if you're wondering who was reading through your archives, that was me! ;) I realized I'd never read from the beginning.

Your blog motivates me SOOO much - keep on truckin!! You are going to blow SC out of the water!

teacherwoman said...

Wow, That's a long ride in the heat of a garage after 4pm. I can only imagine. You are doing great, Kevin... keep on keeping on!

Mendy said...

I can't get over you riding the trainer that long. I hate riding it for an hr. I won't complain anymore. That's awesome that you do that!!!

GREAT meeting you guys. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

LBTEPA said...

That's so methodical - I am pinching all your nutrition ideas to try myself.
Yoiu must be thrilled how strong you are getting on the bike :)

Steph Bachman said...

That is a tough trainer ride. Good job on sticking it out. I recommend the "Kill Bill" movies for trainer rides.

When I'm on a long bike, I like to alternate the electrolyte and the water. Sip of "juice", sip of water, repeat. Maybe that? And, had you eaten before getting on the bike - unlike when running, it works for me to eat a little before I start.

ShirleyPerly said...

Man, you are HARDCORE!! I can't imagine riding my trainer in the garage. It'd be over 100 degrees easily!

My husband and I actually both use a cheap extra rear wheel for our bikes (he has 700s while I have 650s) on the trainer. That way we don't have to use good tires on the trainer or keep swapping tires.

D10 said...

You are doing such an amazing job with your training. I have no doubt you are going to hit all your goals.

Marcy said...

oh my gawd!!! 2.5 hrs on the trainer?!? Dude you so freekin rock!

triguyjt said...

good job experimenting on the nutrition....

and man...you are really hitting it hard as you go forward on training for the half...think about this... a few years back you could have never imagined you would be now thinking of how many gu's or gatorades to consume while riding 2.5 hours in a hot garage duriing a very hot day...amazing what you have done...props to you big guy

Wes said...

I've been told that too much carbs and not enough water will do that to your stomach. For me, that means drinking two sips of G2 and one sip of water (plus water with every gel). It worked OK on my three hour ride last week. Also, you need to check your drink and gels/bars and make sure you are taking in enough salt. If you are a salty dog :-) then you'll need to be on the high end of 500-1000 mg of salt an hour.

One of these days, I'm going to have to bring my bike and trainer over to spin through LOTR with you :-)

Gotta Run said...

Way to rock the trainer!! not a fan of the Gu's but David loves them :)

So good meeting both you and your wife on Saturday! The resturant was a good pick and having the company of fellow bloggers was great.

Loved all of the Tri talk. cool stuff.

Sam said...

Keep it up! You're going to rock that half.

Steve Stenzel said...

NICE JOB!!! "56.53 miles in 2.5 hours" SWEET!!

Nitmos said...

Nice job. I'm a big believer in getting the confidence up by showing yourself you CAN do it prior to the race. You are rounding into shape!

Jess said...

LOTR would be perfect for 2.5 hours on a trainer!

Isela: Purling Sprite said...

Riding in the garage shows true motivation! Way to go.

Tri chick said...

Riding in your garage for 2 hours in the *HOT, HUMID, STICKY Georgia summer is awesome!

You rock dude!

Tri chick said...

Correction 2.5 hours!

Viv said...

Great ride Kevin. You are totally tuned in and focused with this 70.3 training.
Thanks for talking about nutrition, it is always something I struggle with especially on the bike. I kinda forget. I got in trouble with the coach for not taking any nutrition except Gatorade for the 30 miles over the weekend.

akshaye said...

Wow.. thats some workout with a hot garage and everything.

J~Mom said...

WOWEE KAPOWEE!! That is a lot of time on the trainer!

Calyx Meredith said...

This is so behind the times as I'm finally catching up on all the posts I missed - but yay you for breaking that 56 mile mark the way you wanted to. Knowing you're already there with this much time ahead of you must be a huge confidence booster. Also I love reading about the way you're tinkering with your nutrition plan because that's exactly what I'm working on for myself. Keep it up pal!