Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Just my luck

Why is it that I have THE WORST luck when it comes to meeting up with a group to ride or run???

Yesterday my body begged for a day off and I took it. When I got off work, I came home and crashed. I made sure to get to bed early because this week is going to be filled with 4:30 wake ups.

So, as I was saying, my normal Saturday morning running group also does some weekday morning runs at 530 from the same starbucks. I spoke to the girl who leads the group during the week and she said shed be out of town, but I talked to others who said theyd be here this week. So I told them Id meet them today (Tuesday) since Cathy and I werent carpooling today. I pull up at 525 and to my surprise, noone is there. Then 5:30, still noone. FInally at 5:35 I said the heck with it and drove to the gym since I was going to have to shower there anyways.I swear I have like a 50% failure rate for meetups outside of my normal saturday morning runs.

I ended up doing 4 miles on the dreadmill in 35:48 for an average pace of 8:57, and the last mile was my fastest at 7mph(8:34). I HATE THE DREADMILL. I swear it throws my form outta whack and isnt great on my knees. I am going to do my best to stay off it unless the weather is supa bad.

Tonight I will return to the gym for a swim.

One last note: Cathy came across this picture today. OMG That is scary. I hope those that survived are doing ok. That is tragic

16 comments:

Brian said...

Too bad about the running group thing, bunch of wimps. But good job on saving the workout, that's what makes you iron.
Wow that picture is crazy, I wonder what the driver was thinking (use the term thinking loosely).

Viv said...

That stinks on the meet up. Bummer!
Kevin, do you use the TM at a 0% incline?
I have read that it is bad on the knees that way and should always be set at a 1% incline to help the knees and assimilate real road.

Wes said...

I was reading in my "Become an Ironman" book that solo training is the way to go :-) Keep up the good work!!

dumb ass drunk drivers... Grrrrr...

Lauren said...

Holy crap on the picture!

The only people I'm successful at meeting up with to train with on a regular basis is my trainer, and I pay him to be there, LOL

Danielle in Iowa said...

At first I thought that picture was photoshopped, it seemed so surreal! How disturbing!

triguyjt said...

I am right there with danielle.. I thought it was a fake shot..
man, that is horrible...

just bad, bad, bad...

good luck getting the meeting up stuff worked out...

Calyx Meredith said...

Ay yi yi - that picture is horrendous. My thoughts and prayers are definitely headed to those cyclists! Sorry you had another miss with the group run. That would be so frustrating! Still...well done on the solo session.

Stef said...

Sending a text or email would be easy enough to do but with the leader out of town I can see how it fell apart. Seems to be the nature of things sometimes. Still, you saved the workout (YAY) and you seem to get in a good mix of solo/group workouts in overall.

The Silverman RD holds group runs every week here and I plan to go and see what they are like when they jive with my training schedule. I've never run with a group before only one other person.

P.O.M. said...

I hate the treadmill too - I really think it messes with your stride (especially when someone is as fast as you).

Nick said...

In my opinion, triathletes have to mix social life and training at least sometimes or else one or the other gets neglected so training solo all the time doesn't really work. For me, training comes first so I always have a backup plan to get my workout done as did you in this case. I hate the 'mill also, I can't run as fast on it and I seem to suffer the whole time ~ necessary evil I guess.

Marcy said...

I just saw that over on Wes' blog. Crazy and sad :-(

Totally stinky about the group meetup. What was up with that?!?

Heather said...

I hate the treadmill with a passion. I can't run as far or as fast on a treadmill as I can outside, regardless of everyone saying it's easier.

ShirleyPerly said...

Sorry the group run didn't work out. With the price of gas these days it's got to be frustrating to drive to meet folks who don't show up. Glad you were able to get a run in anyway.

Saw that photo on CNN today and cringed :-(

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

Bummer on the meet up mishap.

I hate the dreadmill too. But it's always nice to have a back-up plan!

Iron Eric said...

I hate group rides sometimes. I usually ride solo, but it's nice to ride with others from time to time.

akshaye said...

So that pic on Wes's blog.. awful. Bunch of wimps! But good for you to get your workout in.