Thursday, June 26, 2008

I've got a turtle-head poking out


Image src=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/Fat_bastard.jpeg

Warning: Bodily function talk ahead. Read at your own risk, though I will try not to get too gross.

So last night I made sure to set my alarm so I could be up for my run. When I run during the week, I just wake up and go out the door. When I do my long runs on Saturday, I make sure to get up about 45 min to an hour before I have to leave so that I can make sure to use the facilities. I really hate having to play find the nearest nasty public restroom when I am out on a long run.

Today, I nearly ended up like This Guy (Warning, gross pic ahead,though many of you have already seen it recently)

Luckily, I got home just in time. Did you know there is such a thing as Runner's Diarrhea? This is why I take immodium when I do long runs or races.

Other then the fact I had to slow down my cool down so I didnt esplode, I had a great run. This morning was an interval run. 10 Minutes of warmup followed by 12 X 30 sec sprint with a 2 min active recovery and a 10 minute cool down. As seems to always be the case with any sort of fast intervals running (or swimming for that matter too) I didnt feel like I was going as fast as I was. I always seem to feel like I was faster the last time I did it. My sprints averaged a pace of 6:44 (last time they were 7:13) and my recoveries averaged 10:38 (as opposed to 10:51).. Total, I did 5.16 miles in 50 minutes for an overall pace of 9:41 (last time 9:56). And I didnt have even the slightest twinge of knee pain, so I think my knee is finally healed.

18 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Unfortunately, I'm familiar with Runner's Trots and it ain't fun, esp. during a marathon in rural Kansas!!

But way to go Speedy Gonzales! Great to hear the knee is no longer bothering you. I seriously need to be doing some speedwork too. Going to do my second-ever 5K next week and find out how much slower I've gotten, which should motivate me.

Wes said...

It's estimated that 40% of runners suffer from GI distress on the run. I can empathize after my dash into the woods at Langley Pond. Since I've cut way back on drinking (again) and uped my water intake, I seem to be doing much, much better :-) Seems I've been dehydrated, for years...

Stef said...

SO gross but yes I have heard of that. Somewhat normal from what I understand but I've yet to experience it (knock on wood).

You are SMOKIN' on your run times! I really like reading your blog as your run gets faster and faster because that shows me what's possible.

PreFan1982 said...

I've never seen that pic before-I'm at a loss-although I did share it with my wife so she could share in my amazement.

teacherwoman said...

Oh, runner's trot? no thanks. I have had upset stomaches before but nothing too serious... fortunately.

Viv said...

That picture is so disturbing. LOL!

Your pumping out some great times there Kevin! HAHAHAHA I just read the post title.

so glad the knee is back to normal, great news! Have a great training weekend and have fun at the Irongirl.

An Athlete In Training said...

Glad to hear that the knee is doing well!

J~Mom said...

Between that picture and the picture of the guy throwing up as he crossed the finish line I think I have now seen it all. I have been fortunate in this department but anything can happen at any time.

Marcy said...

Oooooo I love the gross talk. It makes me feel like I'm not alone :P

So yeah, I checked that Mayo Clinic link and ummmm pretty much all the stuff they tell you not to do, I do. Great, I'll start wearing Depends on my long runs from now on :P

Marcy said...

Ooohhh but yeah, I've totally been there before homie! Don't feel too bad! ;-)

Gotta Run said...

Now you know why I trail run.... natures open bathroom. Just makes sure you bring your own wipes :)

I know... too much information :)

Following the Ultra's last year I spent nearly $2000 in medical test to make sure I was "normal" and they found nothing. Now I just have to learn to live with it. Watching your diet a few days before your long run will help. I have tons of info about this if you want me to send any your way.

Nitmos said...

Faster. Pain-free. No diarrhea. A good day. A very good day.

D10 said...

I have had a few close calls where I had to do the squeeze the cheeks and run as fast as possible home.

Nice job on the run. Have a great weekend.

Nick said...

I've only had one experience where I had to do it caveman style and thankfully it was not in a race, lucky I guess. Glad to hear the knee is 100%. I'm fighting a nagging calf thing for two weeks now after going too hard on some 200 repeats on thr track and following it a few days later with my long run in racing flats. My own fault I guess.

Steph Bachman said...

Unfortunately, I'm very familiar with that problem too.

That poor guy.

If you ever run in Roswell, I know where all of the potties are. : )

Jess said...

Yeah, the "running 'rhea" used to bother me too, but I kind grew out of it, I guess? I'm not sure, but it doens't afflict me anymore. Although, I do like to ensure that I take a deuce before a race. That's why I get up like 2 hours before big races.

Ms. V. said...

Nasty photo, that fat bastard (I can't believe that's the name of the photo.) There should have been a warning!

I just had to dash into a farmer's field last week for the first time. Not so fun.

Your times are great.

Tea said...

CODE BROWN!!

ahahahahahaha....good stuff. You've now gone through the initiation process!